Rank the semi finalists

Rank the semifinalists in order of World Cup performance and what you think the final order will be.

4 Croatia - bar one game against a piss-poor Argentina they have flattered to deceive. Too many passes - not clinical enough up front and look suspect to cross balls. Also seem to struggle against teams sitting in.

3 England - had a good 20 minutes against Tunisia then showed that their weakness is that some players have a Sofien Moussa shots to goals accuracy. 6-1 against Panama looks good on paper but there were a clear weaknesses defensively. Belgium game was meaningless but may have indicated them lacking depth if one of their key players got injured. In the two knockout games they have been the better team but struggled to score from open play - over-reliant on scoring from set-pieces. Profligacy with their chances from open play might cost them the big prize.

2 Belgium - almost headed home after an awful first hour or so where Japan's in your face tactics threw them completely. Clearly have the talent but again have issues defensively - a lot depends if KDB is given a more forward role. Have shown that they can battle as demonstrated by turning around a 2 goal deficit. Still waiting for Martinez to have one of his brainfart moments tactically.

1 France - bar a slow start against Australia, where they won with a fortuitous Pogba goal, they have been the consistently best team in the competition. Mbappe's pace is terrifying and the way they came back against Argentina shows they have fight. They have talents all over the pitch and in Griezmann probably one of the coolest players in the competition.

Final Positions (Heart)

1 Belgium - I just really like Martinez's attitude and when they are on song the Belgians are a delight to watch.

2 Croatia - would like for just one game for Modric and Rakatic to show us the players they really are.

3 France - one reason only - Mbappe - amazing player but seems to have inherited Neymar's tendency to be a diving wee shite bag

4 England - not just because of ABE but I genuinely think they are the least talented of the four teams. They have done well to get this far - yes they've had the breaks but Southgate has managed to play to their strengths - something previous England managers have failed to do with better squads

Final Positions (Head)

1 France - think they will just have to much class overall against Belgium in the semi and whoever they play in the final - to have players like Dembele as subs must be a dream for a manager. It's not just up top where they are strong - defensively they have been very good.

2 England - they are in form - and Croatia haven't been that great - Southgate seems to have got them in the right frame of mind to beat the Croats. Think France would be a step too far where Mbappe's pace would destroy the likes of Maguire.

3 Croatia - only due to Belgium not being arsed with the 3/4 playoff after giving all and losing against France

4 Belgium - think they'll lose the semi - defence still dies not convince as demonstrated by Vertonghen's howler against Japan. Mounier is a weak link who can be exploited. Martinez might be tempted to go the Fellaini/Chadli route again - I think that's fine for Brazil but not a more versatile France.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ranking on performance so far:

1. France. Extremely comfortable in a tough-ish group without looking like getting our of second gear. A very routine win in the quarters against a very good Uruguay side and showed they have the attacking power to go toe-to-toe with a bit of a rejuvenated Argentina side and come out on top. Look strong all over the pitch.

2. Belgium. Not too far behind France. Coasted through a weak group without being tested but did look defensively suspect against Tunisia. Obviously struggled initially against Japan but have looked the business since switching formation, putting De Bruyne further up and having Fellaini shore things up in midfield. First half performance against Brazil was probably the half of the tournament. Possibly more defensive frailty than the French.

3. England. like Belgium, sauntered through a week group but a few defensive red flags were certainly raised. Laboured against a James-less Colombia and dispatched Sweden pretty routinely in the QFs. A threat going forward but do look vulnerable to a real attacking threat. Good results but yet to come through a real test of fire against a top side.

4. Croatia. Not far behind England. Looked brilliant in the first two games, but have clearly struggled in the knockouts against solid but unspectacular opposition. Worryingly for them, they're failed to keep a clean sheet in the knockouts whilst still generally failing to turn huge amounts of possession into a decent number of chances.

Final positions (heart):

1. Belgium
2. England
3. France
4. Croatia

Final positions (head):

1. France
2. England
3. Belgium
4. Croatia

1, Belgium

2, France

3, England

4, Croatia

In terms of final, Belgium v England

The draw has done England a world of good.

Said a few years back either France or Belgium would win this world cup and can see both being dominant for many years to come.

I'd agree with the OP, but I'd think Belgium would have a decent shot at the third place game; they shouldn't be any more despondent than Croatia, considering third would still be their best-ever result, and England will be utterly crushed if they don't make the final.

France, 6/10, not too keen on them, but want them to beat Belgium and England ( if they reach the final ), a team that can look good or look avarage.

Belgium,5/10  never liked them but they do have a few good players that i dont like, the Man City ones and the Chelsea ones, Jean Marie Pfaff  is one of my fav keepers ever and Enzo  Shifo was a great player, i liked Martinez when he was at Wigan but not so much now.

Croatia. 4/10,they have been nothing special , Argentina were rubbish so that 3-0 result dont  look  so great, do kind of like Croatia  they had some  great players in the mid 90s as we all know

England  4/10 , f##k off, 

but any of theses  4 can win the world cup dont  think there is much between them, they can all beat each other

horrible feeling it's going to be Belgium v England final, lots of my predictions have been with my heart , and have been wrong with most of them.

7 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

1, Belgium

2, France

3, England

4, Croatia

In terms of final, Belgium v England

The draw has done England a world of good.

Said a few years back either France or Belgium would win this world cup and can see both being dominant for many years to come.

na, Belgium will be nothing in 4 years time ( i hope )

France are the best team left in the tournament!

Croatia and England would be better as the 3rd/4th place game!  Two average teams, that have enjoyed luck in how the draw has panned out.

France / Belgium should be a great game between two  good teams.

Croatia / England will be tight, probably extra-time and Pens too decide.

1. France

2. Belgium

3. Croatia 

4. England 

In reality though there's an obvious top and bottom 2, but you could fit a fag packet between the teams in each section. I've gone Croatia over England solely because, on paper, Modric,Rakitic,Brozovic/Kovacic should be miles ahead of England's midfield. Other than that though, it's pretty impossible to call.

England have essentially had a bye into the semi finals as a result of losing to a better team in the group games.  Incredible really.

Croatia have more top players than England but they have played a lot of minutes and more than a few seem to be carrying knocks and injuries.  Not impossible that England could get to the final. 

Unlike Euro finals though, I don't ever remember the 'shitty' team winning the final, so France or Belgium look like big favourites to win it.

Rank the semifinalists in order of World Cup performance and what you think the final order will be.

4 Croatia - looked absolutely wonderful against Argentina, but since then they've done just enough, against opposition that they should have done a lot better against.  They should have had enough about them to finish off both Russia and Denmark in normal time, and those legs will be feeling awfully heavy now.  Potential-wise, they're ahead of England, but how they're playing now, combined with the history they have of not playing well when it matters (and us giving them a good length twice a few years back) I'd have them at 4. Just.

3 England - Just ahead of Croatia, like I say, as they'll be the far fresher side.  The Belgium game would have been worrying, no matter how you weigh it up, given that they looked like they couldn't do much to bother their opponents second string (their own second string too, admittedly).  But they were professional against Colombia, and largely untroubled by Sweden.  It's been very un-England like to be honest.  

2 France - Fucking miiiiiiles ahead of the previous two, but I'd have them just behind Belgium.  I can't help but feel that this may be a repeat of Euro 2016 with them sleepwalking into a position where they get mugged off.  They should have won the final in Paris, and they should win the final in Moscow too, but I can see them going out at the semi with Belgium being just too much for them.  Like Croatia, if they play to their potential they should have enough, but will they?

1 Belgium - Fucking b*****ds have sneaked through in two World Cups against plucky underdogs now.  I loved the match against the US in Brazil, and I was really enjoying the Japan one.  They snuck through that one - fully deserved - but comfortably put out Brazil.  Martinez may not be the fashionable choice, but he certainly knows the attacking side of the game.  The talent they have is ridiculous, and for all the talk of a Golden Generation, will they ever have a better chance to finally do something at International level?  Beat France, and they then have an even easier match on paper waiting in the final.

Final Positions (Heart)

1 England - f**k all of y'all.  My da is English, having moved up here when he was in his teens, and I was brought up watching predominantly English football.  I've since seen the light obviously and realised that it's fucking shite, and that I much prefer the fucking shite that Thistle serve up, but after having a kid of my own, I have a new-found appreciation for the English b*****d.  Despite being on the more pessimistic "och well" side of supporting football, I was delighted for him when Leicester won the league, and I'd be delighted for him if England won.

2 Belgium - I think they'll make it past France with a brilliant performance but then could choke in the final.

3/4 France/Croatia - THey won't care about the playoff, so why should we?

Final Positions (Head)

1 France - it won't be particularly pretty, but I think they'll completely burst Belgium and win 2-0 or something, and then probably do the same in the final.  Probably the least inspiring of the 4 to win it, but if they do, it'll be deserved

2 England - they'll be so fired up and emotionally drained after beating Croatia that they'll be no match for whoever awaits on the other side of the draw.  France/Belgium, it doesn't really matter.  A wonderful performance to get there, but boy will that hurt them.

3 Croatia - Belgium go into full f**k you mode and shite themselves

4 Belgium - What's Flemish for "shat the bed"?

Archived