The Barbecue thread

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gas is ok for some stuff but there’s no way to get that charcoal flavor with a gas barbecue.

If you are going to get a gas barbecue then you may as well make it on your normal cooker cover it with barbecue sauce then go eat it outside tbh.

Charcoal grills are definitely the way to go but sadly, they're currently verboten here due to the wildfire danger. Propane is still allowed so we do our outdoor cooking on this portable doomaflodgie. We take it with us when we going camping, (although, not backpacking) but we also use it on days like today when it's belting hot and cooking indoors would warm the house even more.

5df772df-cee8-406a-b136-72f3f3eac73a_1.9

As others have noted though; there's a big difference between barbecue and simply cooking outdoors.

14 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

This is correct. A sprinkle of cinnamon elevates it way above where it should be.

You've piqued my curiosity, I'll be honest, it doesn't appeal but I feel obliged to give it a go. Usually put them in the tinfoil with a good dod of butter and plenty chilli and black pepper. A bit less chilli and pepper for the missus. 

Just now, chomp my root said:

You've piqued my curiosity, I'll be honest, it doesn't appeal but I feel obliged to give it a go. Usually put them in the tinfoil with a good dod of butter and plenty chilli and black pepper. A bit less chilli and pepper for the missus. 

Keep all that too. Bit of cinnamon, though. Very nice. I think that's what they did in Mexico when I was there. Or maybe I just made that up. 

Either way, it's the way forward.

1 minute ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Keep all that too. Bit of cinnamon, though. Very nice. I think that's what they did in Mexico when I was there. Or maybe I just made that up. 

Either way, it's the way forward.

Sure it wasn't cumin ?

While I mind, I smoke salmon for the missus, I use a shortbread tin with a bit of chicken wire to keep a gap between the woodchips and the salmon, lid slightly ajar and use a camping stove on minimal heat . Soak the chips for a day before hand ideally. If you excuse the pun, cheap as chips, apart from the salmon of course which has been creeping up in price.

6 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Use a chiminea base. Same idea as this but on a stand so its at a better height.

421173adad0c12980c86f64f965c3fc1.jpg

Use either charcoal or wood. For some things I use an iron skillet on it, the missus being a veggie there's not a lot of fat in her BBQ options so it stops them turning to charcoal themselves too quickly.  Just do the usual stuff, burgers, marinated chicken legs, steaks etc,  tried doing pizzas in it (with the hood on)  but its not hot enough. Working on the missus to get a pizza oven for those.

Corn on the cob if best on a barby for some reason. 

5 hours ago, chomp my root said:

While I mind, I smoke salmon for the missus, I use a shortbread tin with a bit of chicken wire to keep a gap between the woodchips and the salmon, lid slightly ajar and use a camping stove on minimal heat . Soak the chips for a day before hand ideally. If you excuse the pun, cheap as chips, apart from the salmon of course which has been creeping up in price.

One of those veggies, not a veggie at all.

16 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I usually just cook my food in the kitchen then walk outside to eat it.

Or if it’s cold or raining, I’ll stay indoors.

That’s because you’re not a tramp. 

I butterflied a leg of lamb and did it on the barbeque yesterday.  It was fantastic.
Did you use a rub on it or anything? Did you butterfly it yourself? My butchery skills arent great but thats something iv always wanted to barbecue.

Love a barbecue.  Had a few charcoal ones, but too much fucking hassle. Now just buy those disposable ones. Light the bag, 20 minutes later it's ready. Chuck it in the bin when it's done, no mess. 

Sausage, burgers, marinaded chicken, marinaded prawns, hot dogs, marvellous.

Fucking mouth watering here.

33 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I usually just cook my food in the kitchen then walk outside to eat it.

Or if it’s cold or raining, I’ll stay indoors.

Aye, I suppose it’s hard doing Pot Noodle on a barbecue.

Love a barbecue.  Had a few charcoal ones, but too much fucking hassle. Now just buy those disposable ones. Light the bag, 20 minutes later it's ready. Chuck it in the bin when it's done, no mess. 
Sausage, burgers, marinaded chicken, marinaded prawns, hot dogs, marvellous.
Fucking mouth watering here.
Genuinely expected better from you! Get a gas one. Even if you think the flavour isnt the same, its still very good and seriously convenient. Fwiw, I imagine mine is a pretty standard one and you get loads of flames and smoke from it due to heat distribution plates above the burners so I dont think you lose much if anything, except hassle.

Also, if you leave it on full blast for a wee while after you are finished, its easy to clean as everything is just ash.

Archived