Where’d the welfare thread go?

surely not!

Well it’s a shame to see a big club struggle, Craig Reid is one of many who are good players being pushed out or leaving, must be the manager, it’s not hard to lure good players to a big club, money is a factor but clearly a recruitment drive taking players from a squad that struggled in the premier of juniors last year, and now this year are borderline amateur

There’s many amateur teams with good players, go watch murieston, they don’t pay their players whatsoever but a mixture of young and old players who seem to be a good Saturday team this year, an offer of expenses and maybe a signing on fee to these type of players should be enough for them to make the jump, even the east of Scotland league as well, sometimes it’s better to have players of less skill who fight for a place than one or two good players that can’t win games by themselves or stuck it out when it’s tough.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, naebor said:

Well it’s a shame to see a big club struggle, Craig Reid is one of many who are good players being pushed out or leaving, must be the manager, it’s not hard to lure good players to a big club, money is a factor but clearly a recruitment drive taking players from a squad that struggled in the premier of juniors last year, and now this year are borderline amateur

Spot on , worry for me is that it looks like they could be there for a long time yet, no doing a great job for the clubs reputation with so many leaving and it seems being backed by the powers that be . 

21 hours ago, naebor said:

There’s many amateur teams with good players, go watch murieston, they don’t pay their players whatsoever but a mixture of young and old players who seem to be a good Saturday team this year, an offer of expenses and maybe a signing on fee to these type of players should be enough for them to make the jump, even the east of Scotland league as well, sometimes it’s better to have players of less skill who fight for a place than one or two good players that can’t win games by themselves or stuck it out when it’s tough.

I'm struggling a bit here...in one post your slating Whitehill for signing players from a junior club that are similar to an amateur club....then saying they should be scouting players from the amateur game....

I'm struggling a bit here...in one post your slating Whitehill for signing players from a junior club that are similar to an amateur club....then saying they should be scouting players from the amateur game....

A good amateur team yes, however I’d struggle to believe arniston would beat a good amateur team. An old manager cannot simply move club and sign the same squad who struggled last year. I very much doubt the defender they signed from arniston is better than Craig Reid as well. I do realise though I’ve made an errror in my phrasing, I’ve seen highlights of their matches though and they looked very poor.

Having watched LL and EoS games this season there is a huge difference between the ‘have’s’ and the ‘have not’s’ and by that I mean the devil in our game at all levels - money.  The rich clubs mainly attract better players, it’s a sad fact.

However my other thoughts are that the desire to play for their hometown club is not  there nowadays. In the good old days local lads grew up wanting to play for their local team, I don’t see much of that happening nowadays. I know times have changed, but it could just be one of many factors affecting not just The Welfare but other small town teams as well.  Players can be mercenaries at all levels, and that is not a dig at anyone, it’s just a sad fact. How many stay for 3 or more seasons nowadays they move on for one reason or another?

As for the rest of the season, we just need to hope the management team can turn things around, but the lack of decent experienced players worries me and may be the thing that stops us. It won’t  prevent us turning up to support the team though.

Having watched LL and EoS games this season there is a huge difference between the ‘have’s’ and the ‘have not’s’ and by that I mean the devil in our game at all levels - money.  The rich clubs mainly attract better players, it’s a sad fact.

However my other thoughts are that the desire to play for their hometown club is not  there nowadays. In the good old days local lads grew up wanting to play for their local team, I don’t see much of that happening nowadays. I know times have changed, but it could just be one of many factors affecting not just The Welfare but other small town teams as well.  Players can be mercenaries at all levels, and that is not a dig at anyone, it’s just a sad fact. How many stay for 3 or more seasons nowadays they move on for one reason or another?

As for the rest of the season, we just need to hope the management team can turn things around, but the lack of decent experienced players worries me and may be the thing that stops us. It won’t  prevent us turning up to support the team though.

I get what you are saying about teams with biggest budgets attracting better players. Thats always going to be the way. What i would say though is half the first team squad at ek are local lads from east kilbride. Ive no doubt playing for your local club will still hold apeal for players.

I agree, there are some who still aim to make it to their local first team, and at EK you have a good squad so potentially it has helped to have that split of players.

I hope we can get a squad with the same passion and talent but it will take a while...

I agree, there are some who still aim to make it to their local first team, and at EK you have a good squad so potentially it has helped to have that split of players.
I hope we can get a squad with the same passion and talent but it will take a while...

Fingers crossed mate. Its a good club just going through a rough patch. Hopefully yous can turn the corner.

Management don’t play the better boys that’s why so many have left. Arniston players playing for arniston manager results and performances are what you would expect from last years arniston team playing in a higher level.

Management don’t play the better boys that’s why so many have left. Arniston players playing for arniston manager results and performances are what you would expect from last years arniston team playing in a higher level.

5 minutes ago, Yhd 75 said:

I think there’s an echo in here. 

2 hours ago, Yhd 75 said:

Young players are coached from a very young age now to try and play the game properly- nowadays you can’t get away with bullying opponents and kicking them up and down the park - when the boy S Thompson came in as a coach I thought it was a good move for the young lads but it looks like he’s a yes man to the manager with no input at all , the manager needs to get in touch with the modern game which I doubt will ever happen, the club need to open their eyes and do something positive before we end up playing in the lowest of the leagues. We be moved managers on for less 

I have been on P&B for a number of years now but never really been one for posting messages but this thread has grabbed my attention.

As a former player, I find it quite sad at some of the comments that have been posted but everyone is entitled to there opinion.

The  standard of the players,management, coaching, league position and pride in the club is very concerning but how do we change this ?

Amatuer players play at that level for a reason and to say players that a Saturday amateur could come to WW and make a difference is not going to happen, it has been tried at various clubs without success over the years.

Are WW a big club who can attract players, No, ( just because newcastle broon says we are a big club dosn't mean we are) the sooner we realise this the better, we are not going to attract seasoned players to WW because we are not a good option, recently a goalkeeper went to Haddington when he had the option ( and I hear the manager was desperate to get the goalkeeper )to come to WW now thats a statement as to where we are !!

I don't think this thread helps either as a player looking to join a club I find out about the club before I signed, after looking at this thread would I join WW, N

50 minutes ago, wee boabby said:

I have been on P&B for a number of years now but never really been one for posting messages but this thread has grabbed my attention.

As a former player, I find it quite sad at some of the comments that have been posted but everyone is entitled to there opinion.

The  standard of the players,management, coaching, league position and pride in the club is very concerning but how do we change this ?

Amatuer players play at that level for a reason and to say players that a Saturday amateur could come to WW and make a difference is not going to happen, it has been tried at various clubs without success over the years.

Are WW a big club who can attract players, No, ( just because newcastle broon says we are a big club dosn't mean we are) the sooner we realise this the better, we are not going to attract seasoned players to WW because we are not a good option, recently a goalkeeper went to Haddington when he had the option ( and I hear the manager was desperate to get the goalkeeper )to come to WW now thats a statement as to where we are !!

I don't think this thread helps either as a player looking to join a club I find out about the club before I signed, after looking at this thread would I join WW, N

Your right but the comments are from people that are generally concerned for the club. WW were never a big club , they have always been a well respected club that could attract good players and managers , the concern seems to be that we are in danger of losing this 

47 minutes ago, 1985 said:

Your right but the comments are from people that are generally concerned for the club. WW were never a big club , they have always been a well respected club that could attract good players and managers , the concern seems to be that we are in danger of losing this 

We're not losing the ability to sign players thro a few posts on here or predominantly the manager, we are because there's much more money kicking about the game at this level,and this era of player compared to 20 years ago is at opposite ends of the scale, 20 years ago it was just not Whitehill that kept more or less the same core of players every season it was near enough every side, nowadays with social media and the mentally of 20-30 year olds,there more or less touting for a move every pre-season, if Whitehill don't have the fund's ( they don't) it's a simple fact the quality of player they sign is what they have now,20 odd pages slagging the manager is all good and well but the standard of player we have determine our league position,  last season a new age manager who did all the social media interviews and spoke a good game achieved very little more that we are at the moment, we argubly missed out on relegation by having so many games to fit in when opponents were ," on the beach".....what will be will be but the same poster's repeating the same posts countless times will change nothing 

can we stop blaming budgets. civil gala vale dalbeattie and gretna can’t pay much more than us. the uni lads pay to play ffs.

the manager doesnt know the league or the eos league he knows the south junior league which was awful. where have all the players come fi we have signed? 

18 minutes ago, Jamesw said:

can we stop blaming budgets. civil gala vale dalbeattie and gretna can’t pay much more than us. the uni lads pay to play ffs.

the manager doesnt know the league or the eos league he knows the south junior league which was awful. where have all the players come fi we have signed? 

Ok if were going to be blunt it's not budget, it's a poor manager and a high percentage of shite players,

20 minutes ago, Jamesw said:

Where did all the players come from last year which was equally a shite season

Archived