The City of Dundee Appreciation Thread

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Ylf said:

Lochee is obviously a part of dundee. Back in my great grans day it was classed as separate. I’m from lochee and it certainly has its fair share of characters emoji849.pngemoji849.png

We lived in Lochee for a few years and were glad to get out.  That sai there was anIndian takeaway place that did the best pakora I have ever tasted.

1 minute ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Eastern Spice? They do an excellent Donner pakora.  :thumsup2

No idea what it was called but it was on the corner just opposite the shop that used to be Woolworths.  It’s been about 17/18 years since we moved so not sure if it’s even the same place.  They did a cold sauce with it that was wonderful.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

No idea what it was called but it was on the corner just opposite the shop that used to be Woolworths.  It’s been about 17/18 years since we moved so not sure if it’s even the same place.  They did a cold sauce with it that was wonderful.

It's eastern spice now but it was something like diamond curry bazaar   around 2001 when I was frequenting it.

Lochee is full of junkies now. Plenty of bookies and charity shops. Has a cracking butcher shop though. Sausages are really good. Pubs are a bit meh. Kiddies probably the best one and sandys bar just across from the main bit Has a decent junior football club [emoji2][emoji2]

The Number 29 bus to Lochee is tremendous. A cabaret on wheels...

Yep agree. The odd time I get the bus it’s comedy gold with the junkies. I just put my headphones in and just listen to the junkies. They broadcast everything

14 minutes ago, Ylf said:

Yep agree. The odd time I get the bus it’s comedy gold with the junkies. I just put my headphones in and just listen to the junkies. They broadcast everything

My young lad stays in Glasgow and uses public transport a lot. He maintains that nothing comes close to the Number 29 in Dundee...  

5 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

My young lad stays in Glasgow and uses public transport a lot. He maintains that nothing comes close to the Number 29 in Dundee...  

It's an eye opener.

Sad but entertaining at the same time.

From the miserable, unfriendly bus drivers to the large number of mutant passengers, the buses are one of the worst things about Dundee.

Saying that, the passengers are just as bad in Edinburgh and Glasgow but the drivers are a vast improvement. 

In reality, all buses are awful.

Thankfully Dundee is a compact city so a taxi is not too expensive if you can't drive.

Other than the Dundee Bus Crawl (First, Original and Best) I hadn’t been on a local bus for decades.  Since moving to Monifieth I’ve used the bus quite a few times and it’s great.  95%+ of folk thank the conductor and /or driver as they leave.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Other than the Dundee Bus Crawl (First, Original and Best) I hadn’t been on a local bus for decades.  Since moving to Monifieth I’ve used the bus quite a few times and it’s great.  95%+ of folk thank the conductor and /or driver as they leave.

Stagecoach is night and day compared to Xplore Dundee (as they call themselves now).

They are cheaper with friendly staff and have wifi.

Quick service between Carnoustie-Dundee City Centre too. That was about the only positive about living in that town for me.

If I ever need to sink so low as to get a bus in Dundee city centre, I'll happily wait longer for one of Stagecoach's buses.

9 hours ago, Ylf said:

Lochee is full of junkies now. Plenty of bookies and charity shops. Has a cracking butcher shop though. Sausages are really good. Pubs are a bit meh. Kiddies probably the best one and sandys bar just across from the main bit Has a decent junior football club emoji2.pngemoji2.png

I quite like Davie's cafe since it got taken over a couple of years ago. The burgers are pretty good, on a par with most city centre pubs.

11 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I quite like Davie's cafe since it got taken over a couple of years ago. The burgers are pretty good, on a par with most city centre pubs.

Pish Nosh is good too and Eastern Spice sells the best kebabs in the city. I still order from there even though I live a good bit away from Lochee now. The church at the north end is beautiful imo.

Lochee has some good points if you can overlook the junkies that seem to be multiplying again.

But you get junkies in every town around the UK and the world. Even that London.

It's sad as Lochee was a proud working class area back in the day, my granny tells me.

There are still some great people there but I must admit the number of junkies saddens me and puts me off going to the High Street.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived