Scotland Under 21 Squad

Honest_Ally

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

The three in behind Hornby are the best players on the park. 

Johnston has been lively, but not much room to work with (deep defence and relatively narrow pitch)

Gilmour was most impressive for me. Lovely clip cross for the second goal, just when we were struggling a little bit.

Hornby is just a big lump. Don't see it.

Great 3pts and some good performances . Most of our play seemed to go down the right wing where we got joy with cross balls .Gilmour , Williamson and Cadden all worked well and the defence with Porteous and Bates looked solid..How the ref got all that yellow cards out i don,t know , there was hardly a rough challenge the whole game , never mind  anything dirty ..Oh well , the Dutch up next and  that will be a real test..Well played tonight and good luck..

12 hours ago, JamesM82 said:

Johnston has been lively, but not much room to work with (deep defence and relatively narrow pitch)

Gilmour was most impressive for me. Lovely clip cross for the second goal, just when we were struggling a little bit.

He came through the youth ranks as a midfield playmaker, so hardly. 

12 hours ago, JamesM82 said:

I watched last night and know what you mean.

Thing is I also used to regularly go and see Spurs in the Europa league and Harry Kane was the same. Second touch was a slide tackle.

My point is you never know, the hat-trick is a huge positive, hope he keeps his head down.

9 minutes ago, forameus said:

I like the idea of them streaming games live, but when it's accompanied by wee Moira and Big Tam typing whatever shit comes into their mind on the live comments.  But I guess that's the norm in the shite social media era.

Sky used to show the home U21 games, but I think that was as part of a package for all SFA stuff (full internationals and Scottish Cup). They can't sell it that way now because the  qualifiers are sold centrally by UEFA. I doubt Scotland v Andorra in front of a 1/8 (at best) full stadium would be that attractive for TV, so streaming is the next best alternative.

37 minutes ago, The Algebraist said:

I watched last night and know what you mean.

Thing is I also used to regularly go and see Spurs in the Europa league and Harry Kane was the same. Second touch was a slide tackle.

My point is you never know, the hat-trick is a huge positive, hope he keeps his head down.

Agreed, but he's got to break into the Everton team. Or (far more realistically) go out on loan to some lower division jobbers and do well there.

6 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Agreed, but he's got to break into the Everton team. Or (far more realistically) go out on loan to some lower division jobbers and do well there.

He'll be playing for Colchester in 18 months time.  Doesn't look remotely good enough.   But then again, with Scotland Gemmill as your manager, it's impossible to look good.  He's going to suffer from Chris Martin syndrome if the team do nothing but smash the ball seventy yards for him to try and knock down.  Johnstone and Gilmour look real talents. Everyone else... not so much.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He'll be playing for Colchester in 18 months time.  Doesn't look remotely good enough.   But then again, with Scotland Gemmill as your manager, it's impossible to look good.  He's going to suffer from Chris Martin syndrome if the team do nothing but smash the ball seventy yards for him to try and knock down.  Johnstone and Gilmour look real talents. Everyone else... not so much.

This is laughable, if you can’t see Hornby’s talent you do not have a clue. 

13 hours ago, JamesM82 said:

Hard to please. Was at the game last night and thought he did well. Always looked a threat to the Andorra rearguard with his power and physical presence, and could have had another in the first half, but the keeper pulled off a decent save. He wasn’t just a poacher, and played a role in the build up to the second goal with some nice work just over the half way line,  followed by a strong run into the box to get on the end of Gilmour’s cross.

Wasn’t as positive about much of the rest of the team as some. Andorra were fairly well organised, set up in two banks of four, but very limited. We lacked the wit and guile to trouble them in the first half, and that Hornby chance was the only chance of note. Gilmour clearly has ability, and one lovely shuffle in the first half took him last a couple of opponents, but in general the creative players couldn’t find much space and David Bates saw as much of the ball as anyone in that period, as our default setting seemed to be to play the ball back rather than forwards. Was a bit disappointed in Mallan, who’s looked decent for Hibs in the couple of games I’ve seen them play in Europe this season, but was largely anonymous here, He wasn’t alone in having a quiet game though.

First 20 minutes of the second half were worse than the first. We had very few ideas, and the expected gulf between the sides was barely evident,  but we stepped it up after that. The two goals in that period were well worked with good contributions from Gilmour and Caddden, the latter of whom had been poor / ineffective in the first half, but improved as the game went on. 

Hard to see too many knocking on the door of the full squad at the moment, but given our paucity of options up front, Hornby might come into the reckoning if he can get some game time at Everton. Bates looked comfortable throughout against limited opponents. Hard to judge him on this game, but he has presence, so may come into the reckoning sooner rather than later in another position where we’re a bit light for cover. Gilmour is clearly the star-in-waiting in this line-up though. He looks like a boy amongst men in terms of stature at the moment, but he has real talent. 

Archived