Nipper Salmond

RadgerTheBadger

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Who's the Scottish journalist who he says was raided and gave him the "They said they were from the “Alex Salmond team”" quote? MSM or "citizen journalist? Perhaps we'll never know.

I don't know, but suspect that the journalist in question may agree that Salmond was rightly found to be innocent of all charges.

That would suggest that he's not one of the MSM journalists that published the articles I refer to above.

• 2 weeks later...
Another person charged relating to the Salmond trial, Mark Hirst, a journalist. He is alleged to made a threatening communication.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ex-sputnik-editor-charged-over-menacing-salmond-accuser-clip-ghpqnjgtk

Those Sputnik “journalists” are a very odd bunch. They tend to think everyone is an MI5 plant.

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Those Sputnik “journalists” are a very odd bunch. They tend to think everyone is an MI5 plant.

His wiki page is very weird, looks like he wrote it himself when he was pished.

On 29/04/2020 at 18:43, Detournement said:

It's probably the Wee Ginger Dug guy. 

H_B right on the ball as usual!

The actual allegation is that Mark Hirst has been charged with sending an "electronic communication" (he posted a video) containing  "menacing character" under the Communications Act 2003.

He said that the Alphabet Sisters were going to "reap a whirlwind" and that "there is going to be a reckoning" 

There's worse threats on Pie & Bovril every day - 12 Ruel Street's "Bring yer Maw and aw" being a classic of the genre

4 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

what is it with Yes Da's and 'reckonings', didn't Jim Sillars torpedo a few percent off yes about a week before the vote saying the same thing on telly?

Oh, I know. 

It was an asshole thing to say, but do you really consider it worthy of having all your computer equipment seized, an interview under caution & facing potential prosecution for a criminal offence?

16 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Craig Murray is a walloper, a walloper, a walloper

Craig Murray is a walloper, he talks a load of pish

I hope that your detailed critique of his work might be posted soon, or will this be the sum of your contribution?

On 29/04/2020 at 15:06, Detournement said:

To be fair he is the only UK government official who spoke out against torture and rendition during the Blair years so that makes him exceptional in a way.

His history with the FCO is usually ignored by his critics, a fair amount of whom are linked to the Integrity Initiative. It's not a shock that Dani Garavelli was chosen to cover the Salmond trial when as Craig Murray highlighted he is one of the journalists linked to Phillip Cross. 

FWIW Dani Garavelli wasn't chosen by anyone, she's freelance and she chose to sit through the entire trial, like several other journalists did.

Craig Murray is a tinfoil hat wearer who sees shady connections everywhere. He tackles the man and not the ball (or the woman in Dani's case) and I don't think any reasonable person could object to the article she wrote.

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

That was it, just an observation. 

I'd say his jumping on the Salisbury murders, doubling down Tom English style for years when it was clear who dunnit, before finally mewling that it's unfair, everybody gets it wrong sometimes was pretty far up there. This was after repeating every Kremlin excuse in the book and accusing every journalist who didn't agree with him of being an MI5 stooge.

Edited by welshbairn

Not sure if this is all Mark Hirst's accused of, but if this isn't a clear threat to the trial witnesses I'm not sure what is. "These women, and not just these women.." makes it clear that he's talking about them personally, not just political opponents in an abstract way. Thanks to Craig for the transcript.

These women, and not just these women, some of the people involved in this are senior members of the Scottish Government, senior members of the SNP, and they have been involved in this active collusion to try and destroy Alex Salmond’s reputation and there’s not a cat’s chance in hell that they are going to get away with that.
So they’re going to reap a whirlwind, no question about it, that’s going to happen as soon as this virus emergency is out of the way, then there is going to be a bit of reckoning takes place and we’ll clear out the soft independence supporters which are currently leading the party, that’s why we’ve seen no movement in nearly six years and we’re going to claim the party back, get the country back on course for Independence but to do that we are going to have to wade through what’s left of this leadership and get them out of the way, which I am confident that we’ll do.

26 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Did Craig Murray not buy a house for half a million quid with no mortgage quite recently?

His explanation was that it was in a terrible state and he had to spend a fortune doing it up. Half a million is embarrassingly low in Edinburgh these days for an ex-Ambassador.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not sure if this is all Mark Hirst's accused of, but if this isn't a clear threat to the trial witnesses I'm not sure what is. "These women, and not just these women.." makes it clear that he's talking about them personally, not just political opponents in an abstract way. Thanks to Craig for the transcript.

As far as I'm aware, there's no argument about who the statement was aimed at. He quite clearly aimed his comments at the Alphabet sisters and unnamed others.

The argument relates to whether the statements he made were "grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character" (to quote the relevant part of section 127(1)(a) of the Communications Act 2003, where the offence is set out) 

Grossly offensive? Hardly!

Indecent? Definitely not!

Obscene? Never!

That leaves us with "menacing character". Are you seriously suggesting that the only interpretation of the video is that he incited physical violence against those people? 

7 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

As far as I'm aware, there's no argument about who the statement was aimed at. He quite clearly aimed his comments at the Alphabet sisters and unnamed others.

The argument relates to whether the statements he made were "grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character" (to quote the relevant part of section 127(1)(a) of the Communications Act 2003, where the offence is set out) 

Grossly offensive? Hardly!

Indecent? Definitely not!

Obscene? Never!

That leaves us with "menacing character". Are you seriously suggesting that the only interpretation of the video is that he incited physical violence against those people? 

Certainly sounds menacing to me, didn't know the definition required specific threats of actual physical violence. I just got a letter from a parking firm threatening to take me to court and destroy my credit rating. I'd call that menacing.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

Certainly sounds menacing to me, didn't know the definition required threats of actual violence.

I'm not sure whether it does, but comparing the phrase "menacing character" with the language of the rest of the section might give an idea of the level of menace required?

I interpret his statement as meaning "if the collusion allegations are true, then the political consequences will be severe for the people involved".

I believe that my interpretation is reasonable. Accordingly, IMO there is reasonable doubt that he "menaced" anyone.

7 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

I'm not sure whether it does, but comparing the phrase "menacing character" with the language of the rest of the section might give an idea of the level of menace required?

I interpret his statement as meaning "if the collusion allegations are true, then the political consequences will be severe for the people involved".

I believe that my interpretation is reasonable. Accordingly, IMO there is reasonable doubt that he "menaced" anyone.

I just don't think women who accuse powerful men with of sexual assault should face these kind of consequences if they fail to get a jury to agree. That's why they're given anonymity, to stop the vast majority of men getting away with it because women are too frightened to speak up.

Edited by welshbairn