Hampden or Murrayfield

P475

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Im_Rodger said:

I don't care about where the national team plays.

I only care about the Scottish and League Cup finals. 

As a Hamilton fan...:whistle

5 minutes ago, EH75 said:

What time are we expecting an announcement on this? Anyone know?

Once all the champers, quails' eggs and ocelot tongues have been quaffed...

Screwing over Queen's Park and the historical home (I know, I know, it's the third one) of Scottish football, and instead diverting the money to Scottish Rugby is a dreadful idea.

Hampden needs work to bring fans closer to the action, of that there is absolutely no doubt, but Murrayfield is not the answer, nor is it an awful lot better.

6 hours ago, P475 said:

The decision is made today. 

Personally I'm in the Murrayfield camp as I've never liked Hampden. Its a cold lifeless place which doesn't lend itself to atmosphere. 

Murrayfield fits the bill better in my opinion and, it has better transport links too. 

What do others think? 

Never like Hampden for atmosphere but since i went to Murrayfield last season with the dons felt it wasn't the best view (quite high up in the lower deck) and also was quite surprised by the lack of food outlets - had to go outside for this and then the queues was mental as many Aberdeen fan complained about this. 

If Wales & Northern Ireland can afford modern decent stadiums why is it that we are so completely devoid of money? Surely there's a solution to be had, the Man City one of digging down & adding seating seems the simplest in my completely uneducated view.

It does kinda seem more like a threat to go to get the public on their side rather than just being honest.

When you see what Stuttgart and Bremen have done with similar shaped stadia, Hampden can follow suit.

Requires money of course, and a lot of it, but that should be the aim after Euro2020 and not give rugby money from football's meagre coffers.

6 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

f**k the SRU and their obnoxious minority sport. Hampden has been outdated for my entire lifetime, quite happy to wait another decade or so until it can be 3/4 redeveloped. 

The SFA would never get the funds to properly redevelop Hampden so you'd probably end up waiting even longer. Even if they did it would be done on the cheap and probably be worse than it already is, if that is even possible.

If Wales & Northern Ireland can afford modern decent stadiums why is it that we are so completely devoid of money? Surely there's a solution to be had, the Man City one of digging down & adding seating seems the simplest in my completely uneducated view.
It does kinda seem more like a threat to go to get the public on their side rather than just being honest.

Would it be possible to have a Manchester City solution at Hampden?  That would mean digging down to have a lower pitch and adding seats. 
This is the City of Manchester stadium in 2002.

Can't be done at Hampden as there is a burn that runs under the pitch. I guess it could be re-routed in some sort of culvert or sewer type of arrangement but that would be an added expense and engineering problem.

I'm also pretty sure that the current Athletics situation and Glasgow's place in the European stage, would put paid to any situation where the stands are moved closer to the action.
We all know that nobody gives a toss about the paying punter and all they're interested in is the big pound signs.

Given that Glasgow hosted all but the athletics at the recent European Championships and is never going to host the Olympics, athletics is unlikely to come to Glasgow any time soon - if it did then Scotstoun would likely be big enough.

Gordon Smith on Radio Scotland this morning seemed to be suggesting that the only reason the SFA are considering Murrayfield is to persuade Queens Park to accept less money for the sale of Hampden.

Is the correct answer.

Preferences:

1. Hampden (with firm commitment to redevelop).
2. Football stadiums around the country. 
3. Hampden (with no commitment to redevelop).
-
-
-
-
-
4. My back garden.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
5. Home of rugby.

I'd go with the option of takiing games on the road round the country.  I'd much rather see a full Tynecastle, Easter Road or Pittodrie than a half empty Hampden for the smaller games and use Ibrox and Parkhead for the bigger games.

Problem with "taking it round the country" is that we have no venue that would be big enough for minor competitive internationals and most Scottish Cup semi finals. They usually have between 20 and 30,000 at them, so they'd be too big for the likes of Tynecastle, Easter Road or Pittodrie. Friendlies and some semi finals could go to those venues but for the majority of games currently being played at Hampden they'd have to go to Murrayfield, Ibrox or Parkhead. Rangers and Celtic ask for far too much money for rental (so much so that they got more money from hosting semi finals and a final of a Scottish Cup than St Johnstone got for winning it) and many people would be upset at yet more money going to the gruesome twosome. I'm not sure if Consolidate has enough hospitality boxes to satisfy UEFA, but other than that, he might be onto something there.

If they could square off the ends at Hampden (even do what they did at Cagliari as a temporary measure until permanent stands are built?) then that would he best. The transport still isn't great for folk in the East and North (although the M74 extension makes it easier if going by car) but it's probably the best option. Whether the SFA would square off the ends or not though is another matter entirely.

Cagliari: stadio-santelia-aerial.jpg

8 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Problem with "taking it round the country" is that we have no venue that would be big enough for minor competitive internationals and most Scottish Cup semi finals. They usually have between 20 and 30,000 at them, so they'd be too big for the likes of Tynecastle, Easter Road or Pittodrie.

Am I not correct in saying both Tynecastle and Easter Road hold 20,000 now and the proposed replacement for Pittodrie is 30,000?

Am I not correct in saying both Tynecastle and Easter Road hold 20,000 now and the proposed replacement for Pittodrie is 30,000?
20,000 at Kingswells too - so nothing for the games that would be over 20,000 but below the 30,000 or so that would make for a decent atmosphere in a bigger stadium.

Redeveloped Hampden is my preferred option, but I'm 99.9% certain they'll go for the cheapest solution.

My only experience of Murrayfield was a Red Hot Chili Peppers gig in 2004.  Can't say the stadium left much of an impression on me (and neither did RHCP...)

Has to be Murrayfield:

• Larger capacity. 
  • Much better stadium in terms of seat view. 
  • Much nicer surrounding area. 
  • Far superior transportation links - 20 minute walk from a major railway station, a tram stop adjacent and multiple bus routes.
  • Good boozers in relatively close vicinity. 
  • Much better designed areas encircling the stadium for safe fanzones/entertainment. 
  • Combination of resources by both the SRU and SFA to ensure a modern, fit-for-purpose stadium and generating more money for both sports at all levels.  There is absolutely no point in a country the size of Scotland having two national stadiums in excess of 50,000. In addition to having Celtic Park and Ibrox. 
  • There will no longer be "Celtic and The Rangers ends".
  • IT IS IN THE CAPITAL CITY. LIKE EVERY OTHER COUNTRY. 
  • People Make Edinburgh. 

3 minutes ago, AberdeenHibee said:

Has to be Murrayfield:

• Larger capacity. 
  • Much better stadium in terms of seat view. 
  • Much nicer surrounding area. 
  • Far superior transportation links - 20 minute walk from a major railway station, a tram stop adjacent and multiple bus routes.
  • Good boozers in relatively close vicinity. 
  • Much better designed areas encircling the stadium for safe fanzones/entertainment. 
  • Combination of resources by both the SRU and SFA to ensure a modern, fit-for-purpose stadium and generating more money for both sports at all levels.  There is absolutely no point in a country the size of Scotland having two national stadiums in excess of 50,000. In addition to having Celtic Park and Ibrox. 
  • There will no longer be "Celtic and The Rangers ends".
  • IT IS IN THE CAPITAL CITY. LIKE EVERY OTHER COUNTRY. 
  • People Make Edinburgh. 

Larger capacity: immaterial, rarely filled for Scotland games, if at all

Much better view: Has plenty shite seats like Hampden

Nicer area: who cares

Transportation links: not any better than Hampden

Boozers:  plenty around Hampden

Fanzones: I'll give you that, but this is fitba not rugby, never be allowed

Resources: SFA will pay rent, they will never have any say in running of stadia, and will play second fiddle to rugby

Ends: who cares

Capital: who cares

Edinburgh: meh

Archived