Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not entirely sure why Grado was on. At best he was promoting the fact that he got his Mrs pregnant. Surely they could have got a fan of one of the teams in this weekend’s semi finals?

He also went for a shite halfway through the programme

• 3 weeks later...

Listened to some of yesterdays show today, whilst out walking the dog. Stuart told Tam he couldn't do or say anything to remove him from his wonderful mood. I've not got through it all just yet but, if Tam didn't force him to listen to his Spotify then he has missed a trick, his play list could make granite weep with misery.   No fear of anyone ever hacking in to that nightmare account. 

I might have picked it up wrong but on Sunday was Tam talking about Gerry Armstrong and the NI team of 82 and Stuart jumps in saying it would be a great quiz question to find out how many of that Ireland team who went to America were born in Scotland? 

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I might have picked it up wrong but on Sunday was Tam talking about Gerry Armstrong and the NI team of 82 and Stuart jumps in saying it would be a great quiz question to find out how many of that Ireland team who went to America were born in Scotland? 

He did say that yes. I find almost every post I make on this thread is a point of pedantry so I refrained.

For the (very) little I listen to the show, it's notable that there is that cry "that would make a great quiz question" which only highlights how out of touch both of them are and underlines why they get so much wrong on the show. It's almost as if they are unaware there is the Internet, which can be used for two purposes, one being finding out a quiz question answer in a matter of seconds, rendering any radio quiz meaningless, it would also allow them to understand how the game works, as there has been a litany of pundits and commentators (not just OFB) who will give it, "I don't understand how handball works" or "I don't understand how qualification works in the Nations League", which would save them looking like utter amateurs to a national audience who expect people paid to discuss football to actually understand the game.

36 minutes ago, Ric said:

which would save them looking like utter amateurs to a national audience who expect people paid to discuss football to actually understand the game.

Is that the expectancy of the audience though? I've no particular love for OFB but is their whole shtick not on selling themselves as being petty and ill-informed?

4 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Is that the expectancy of the audience though? I've no particular love for OFB but is their whole shtick not on selling themselves as being petty and ill-informed?

Petty and ill-informed was irreverent and offhand cool when OFB started. Being petty and ill-informed now is the equivalent of being a Trump supporter on Parler.

19 minutes ago, George Parr said:

12 minutes ago, Ric said:

Petty and ill-informed was irreverent and offhand cool when OFB started. Being petty and ill-informed now is the equivalent of being a Trump supporter on Parler.

It's more that when they were criticised for being "Ill informed" back in the mists of time it was about them not having all the contacts and inside knowledge  that a real football correspondent like err... Chick Young or Jim Traynor would have. They took the phrase as a badge of honour to display their "outsider" status and distaste for succulent lamb

They had a point but you  can have too much of a good thing

Being sufficiently  out of the loop that you didn't know about the Nations League until the day it was officially announced is one thing. 

Being sufficiently  out of the loop that you still don't know about the Nations League now is another.

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

They took the phrase as a badge of honour to display their "outsider" status

Absolutely, and in the mid 90s that had an altogether different connotation.

Being ill informed nowadays, especially with all the information available at your fingertips, shows a complete lack of respect for your audience, while being petty minded is the curse of social media.

In many ways petty and ill-informed is still a relevant label for the show, the problem for them is that neither of those things are a positive trait in any way.

Incidentally with St Johnstone now having won three trophies in living memory Stuart cosgrove should really retire and make way for someone from a more long-suffering and exasperated, group of supporters

Cosgrove was 42 when he started, worked as a controller at C4 and somewhat obsessed with black American music of his teenage years

so ideally we're looking for a Dundee fan born around 1979, with a good job in media and willing to bore people  rigid about Tupac and Biggie

1 hour ago, Ric said:

It's an irrelevant point but could I just say I fucking hate Northern Soul almost as much as I hate the "yer da" shite Cowan plays.

I quite like Old Soul music but as far as I can see the point of "Northern Soul" was to dig out the more obscure records by also-ran soul  artists who nobody else had ever heard of

Yeah man, Otis Redding's OK but you've got to dig Felix Oysterbucket he released one seven inch single in 1968 it was so unpopular at the time that he was banned from the city of detroit for a year. I've got one of the only copies in the UK, it's scratched so you  can only  play the first minute of it but what a groove

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

One of the problems with the show is that I genuinely believe they could just re-play an episode from 2013 next time and barely anyone would notice. Stuart says something about Paisley Park / Northern Soul, Tam says something about Hamilton Palace / Engelbert Humperdink, and then minutes of effective dead space where the joke is that someone's an OF fan but won't admit it.

Edited by Gordon EF

On 26/05/2021 at 13:54, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Incidentally with St Johnstone now having won three trophies in living memory Stuart cosgrove should really retire and make way for someone from a more long-suffering and exasperated, group of supporters

Cosgrove was 42 when he started, worked as a controller at C4 and somewhat obsessed with black American music of his teenage years

so ideally we're looking for a Dundee fan born around 1979, with a good job in media and willing to bore people  rigid about Tupac and Biggie

Is Big Gus still here with his Pie Reviews?  He would be fucking perfect.