Partick v Queens

I’m still not convinced by the defence. That was a really frustrating game to watch. Felt it was there for the winning. Would like to see the goals again as seemed like we have them up too easily. And in the second half we really looked hesitant.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don’t believe in the fact that we were due a bad week - teams with real belief and desire don’t expect that.

I wish we could find some of Livvy’s hunger and desire to succeed.
Would definitely take a point next week now.

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

This better team than we had last season is 2 points worse off than at the same stage. And the much better defence has conceded 1 goal fewer.

You were the one chirping up to give the team the first 9 games to start making comparisons......

practise what you preach.

6 minutes ago, SueSue said:

You were the one chirping up to give the team the first 9 games to start making comparisons......

practise what you preach.

I said if we still had the 3rd best defence in the league after 9 games, rather than 4, then that might be a better indicator of how good the defence was. I never said that no comparisons should be made with last season, or that no type of comparison with other teams should be made, prior to that.

Thought that was comfortably the worst I’ve seen us play this season. A typical Dobbie goal (early low shot into the corner giving the keeper no chance) and the breakaway Todd goal (our only two chances of the half) masked a terrible first half display. The defence were all over the place, Marshall in particular having a ‘mare (though he was better in the second half). We were collectively better in the second period, without looking very much like we’d grab an equaliser. 

Have praised Dykes in recent weeks, but he was absolutely brutal today (took a couple of Hibs fans with me today and they were quite incredulous at the suggestion that he’s ever any good, so out of touch was he in this match) and Harkins had one of those days when all his fancy flicks, tricks and backheels went straight to the opposition. Problem was, there was absolutely no-one on the bench to replace those two, and Stirling was slightly unlucky to be sacrificed for Frizzell, as he’d done ok, but it was the obvious like for like replacement. 

Not a great afternoon for Jacobs again, in the first half particularly as the midfield was being overrun, but he was far from the only player out of form. We rallied a bit towards the end, but too little too late.

Well that was a badly needed result and I am still coming to terms with going behind twice and still winning the game. Plus points. One of Spittals best games, great to have Banzo back, what a difference he makes and in the last 30 minutes when Queens had loadsa corners and free kicks I thought Niall Keown was back to his form of two years ago.  Negatives, Christie Elliot at the moment is struggling defensively and the defence in the first half was shambolic. The JLS are getting treated to some special goals this season. Storer, Erskine and now today, Spittals effort was superb. Nice to see Gerry Collins get a nice round of applause at half time. The team certainly gave "a shift" this afternoon

1 minute ago, Steeplechat said:

You never gave Queens a hope before the season started.

So?

In common with plenty others, I wasn't particularly hopeful.  I was pleasantly surprised thereafter by a couple of results, but it's not looking great again. 

That's all.  Do I need to have confidently predicted glory, in order to be entitled to express disappointment?

Fatty Harkins trying to bodycheck Storey and bouncing off him was great. Speaking of Storey he was a touch unlucky throughout but really frustrating - brilliant run despite being all on his own to set up the chance where Doolan smashed the post and caught in two minds right at the death whether to square it or not and ended up doing nothing. Puts in a good amount of graft to try to help out Penrice which I like, if nothing else.

Quitongo blatantly getting fouled at the touchline and not getting a free kick was not great.

Us conceding from Queens first attack (decent hit by Dobbie but keeper looked a bit Kenny Arthur esque in going down in stages to get beaten at his near post) and them breaking on us about 5 seconds after we'd equalised was also not great.

I'm starting to think we don't have to worry about consecutive relegations. Yay.

1 minute ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Fatty Harkins trying to bodycheck Storey and bouncing off him was great.

Quitongo blatantly getting fouled at the touchline and not getting a free kick was not great.

Us conceding from Queens first attack (decent hit by Dobbie but keeper looked a bit Kenny Arthur esque in going down in stages to get beaten at his near post) and them breaking on us about 5 seconds after we'd equalised was also not great.

I'm starting to think we don't have to worry about consecutive relegations. Yay.

If we can shut the door at the back we won't be far away as we have plenty in midfield and up front. Encouraging to see Keowns second half performance which was back to his form of two years ago, however defence looked all over the place in the first half.  First thing we need to do is get a result on the road....preferably with a clean sheet!

I noticed at HT that Thistle had 62% possession, but by the end of the game we were over 50%, which shows how much we dominated the second half.  We had that crazy spell from 25 mins to HT when apart from shipping 3 goals we looked like conceding every time Thistle crossed half way. 

It was a bit strange, for the first 25 for all their possession Thistle never looked like scoring, but once they did they threatened every time. 

On another day, our Second half would have earned a point. But frustrating to see over elaborate flicks etc., grand if you’re 3 goals up and cruising, but not if you desperately need a goal. And we know who was the worst culprit.

Back to the defence, for once all the goals came down the left, usually our right is the weaker side.

4 minutes ago, Nizzy said:
2 hours ago, Dr Koop said:
Hmm, decisions decisions. Go out tonight or stay in and beat off to a photo of Blair Spittal?

Wait until you see the second goal. W*nk material for weeks.

Excellent. Safe to assume a couple of happy lads on their way back to Chez Niz? 8)

Archived