New Hampden

Gordopolis

Why haven't the SFA raised funds before now to improve the stadium? Criticism of Hampden is hardly a new thing. Folk have been calling for it to be improved for years.

So why haven't the SFA done anything yet?

Also get government funding for this right to f**k.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Why haven't the SFA raised funds before now to improve the stadium? Criticism of Hampden is hardly a new thing. Folk have been calling for it to be improved for years.

Why haven’t you funded my new conservatory? 

On 19/09/2018 at 15:27, GordonS said:

Can I just ask, do folk here really want public money spent on this? After a decade of austerity we can't even adequately fund rape crisis centres, we're closing libraries and youth music services and withdrawing classroom assistants and all sorts of stuff. Our public sector has shrunk by about one-eighth in a decade. I don't know about anyone else but I'd be really angry if public money were used just to improve the sightlines at a football stadium. We pay for this ourselves or we say it's not that important.

V unlikely to happen.  They can't even pay for the complusory purchases they have made for HS2 :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

If you rented a house would you pay to get the bathroom done up?

The SFA can't really win here. If they had spent time and money drafting plans and seeking out financial backing prior to buying Hampden... and then failed to conclude the purchase, they'd be ridiculed for putting cart before horse.

Hampden could clearly be better, but it isn't really a pressing issue. It'd be great if we could start work on it today, but if we have to wait a few years for anything to change, it's not the end of the world. 

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

The SFA can't really win here. If they had spent time and money drafting plans and seeking out financial backing prior to buying Hampden... and then failed to conclude the purchase, they'd be ridiculed for putting cart before horse.

Hampden could clearly be better, but it isn't really a pressing issue. It'd be great if we could start work on it today, but if we have to wait a few years for anything to change, it's not the end of the world. 

This sums it up for me. I would love us to drop the pitch tomorrow and put a couple of steep stands right behind the goals, but it’s not realistic.

I’m happy that the sfa now are in full ownership of the ground and hopefully over the next decade or so some work can be done. I don’t want them rushing or ending up with a bland Emirates style stadium. 

I also reckon the criticism of the old place is a touch over the top.

13 hours ago, bendan said:

If it was simply about moving seats nearer the pitch, I'd agree, but I'd say the three older sides of Hampden are out of date.

Plastic tip-up seats, on concrete terracing, with turnstiles and toilets and a full-depth cantilevered roof. There's nothing fundamentally out-of-date about it; in fact apart from a few minor cosmetic signs of age, in terms of fabric and function there's no real difference between the three older sides of Hampden and the lower tier of Wembley. They've even got a similar rake. Until elements of the roof, the concrete or the seating need replaced, there's no justification for a major revamp. The only issue is sightlines.

Incidentally, the north and east sides at Hampden were opened in 1994. The north stand at Parkhead was opened one year later, and nobody is saying it needs a major renovation. 

Where the comparison between football and the arts really falls down is that no theatre company has just announced revenue up 12% to over £100 million. 

15 hours ago, GordonS said:

Where the comparison between football and the arts really falls down is that no theatre company has just announced revenue up 12% to over £100 million. 

Valid point. Also if Scottish football levied (say) £1 on admission to games, and levied a few % on the value on TV and sponsorship deals, 10s of millions would be raised over just a few years. It won't.

23 hours ago, GordonS said:

Incidentally, the north and east sides at Hampden were opened in 1994. The north stand at Parkhead was opened one year later, and nobody is saying it needs a major renovation. 

The north and east sides were just really converted to seating, because the budget wasn't there for a proper rebuild. A better comparison between Parkhead and Hampden would be the South at Hampden and the North at Parkhead, as both were completely rebuilt. Neither needs replaced. 

I think contrasting things with the arts is perfectly valid. You could equally say arts venues that have had expensive upgrades were perfectly adequate, yet lots of money was spent to give them facilities that met modern, international standards. I'm only suggesting a minority contribution from the government for Hampden, and I'm not suggesting any contribution to running costs, because as you point out, it's not as if there's no money in the game. In contrast, Scotland's five national performing arts companies get a government subsidy of about 23m every year, including 8m a year for Scottish Opera. As I've said before, I support that spending (though I think too much is spent on opera). In that context, I don't see why a one-off contribution of 10-20m towards an upgrade at Hampden should even be controversial.

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 17:35, HibeeJibee said:

Is this with public money, or with profits from hosting (either mortgaged / lent in advance or banked and the work done afterwards)? In either case the argument is that such tens upon tens of millions could be better spent on grassroots facilities. In the former case also that it could be better spent on hospital, schools, transport, housing, culture, etc. etc. In the latter case also that it would be insufficient to do a proper job.

In the case of public money is another big issue not the existence of 2 other rectangular stadiums hosting 50,000 (or more) already in Glasgow? So you go to the government for £75M or £100M or whatever and they say "isn't football rich among sports?" and "aren't there already 2 suitable alternative stadiums in Glasgow?" - and the reply is, what, "aye but we need to bring some seats closer to the pitch!"...?

it would have to be with the later, the danger is the word cup could come to the UK and the SFA could be part of it but not have "their" stadium in use during the completion.

I have not checked who paid for the stadiums in Russia but they were superb. I'm guessing it was the government.

The stadium in Volgograd would be ideal for the "New Hampden" if made a little bigger. Two tiers a concourse that went almost all the way around the lower tier but could be divided and was built from scratch. That's not going to happen.

I have a feeling we will get to 2039, the lottery issue and other funding will not be an issue, the stadium will look the same and at that point the SFA will sell up and start again.

As a debenture holder I'm also surprised that no one has made contact yet to say what the new deal will mean for the debenture holders.

There are due to be repaid next year, but I cannot see this happening with the rights possibly being extended.

Archived