Inverness v Queens

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Not entirely sure what relevance RC’s great away win at Tannadice has to our recent 0-0 draw but I am sure you will build a compelling argument.

I have rarely seen a visiting team fail to create one solitary chance of any significance in 90 mins and Ross were undoubtedly there for the taking. If you listen to their manager and fans it was comprehensively their worst league performance of the season.For me it was a disappointing result but not a bad performance by us.

I could throw back Ayr’s magnificent 5-1 win at Cappielow and say that this performance made our 2-2 opening day draw at Morton a bad result but it isn’t relevant.

We are now largely back in the pack and are under pressure to go on a good run in the next 2/3 games to recoup what we have lost.

Ayr on the other hand have dug in really hard after we hammered them and they have even had a 0-4 midweek reverse at Ibrox to shake off - they then go to Morton and win 5-1!!!

Anyone who finishes above Ross County come May will be lifting the title and a point in a game in which we went toe to toe with them and probably shaded it isnt a particularly disappointing result. I absolutely agree a point at Morton in a game we were much the better in IS a disappointing result. So was last week's loss at Thistle notwithstanding I dont accept it was due to tactics or a lack of belief. 

Ayr have done well. As suicidal as some of their defending was against us, you could see they could pass and play and I thought they looked a better side than Morton to be honest notwithstanding our respective results against them. They have had a good run of fixtures to bounce back from our loss (Falkirk and Alloa followed) but a 5-1 win against anyone at this level should be applauded.

I wasnt there today but given the distance involved, a point in the Highlands is never a bad result. Could have done with a win to undo the damage of the Thistle game so, yes, it does put the pressure on to win v Alloa next week. We are not far away though and had Dobbie not hit the bar today and against County we would be 4 points better off. Thistle was a bad day at the office, we got what we deserved, nothing. It happens. I dont see it as an indicator of any great lack of belief. 

These sort of comments spook me, why bother if that is all we expect? Surely with the players we have this season, we ourselves should be expecting to see us in the top two. The players read this message board and we need them to know they are more than capable. We will add to our squad in January to make the challenge we all want to see, I'm sure of that! Let's all encourage our club to make this a Centenary year to remember!

We’re now sitting comfortably just behind the top 4. Undefeated against the top 3 which included an emphatic home win against the inform league leaders.
Going forward we are at times a joy to watch. All this with one of the smallest budgets, squads and gate receipts in the league yet some of our fans think we have the divine right to finish in the top 2!!!!
Time for a major reality check for some of our supporters me thinks!!!

What was the game like?  It seemed fairly quiet for the most part?

If I were a queens fan I would be disappointed that you didn’t come away with 3 points. Thought you were by far the better team. Managed to stop us playing and I don’t think we even had a shot on target. No clear cut chances that I can think of either.

On top of that your attacking players caused us all sorts of problems, but again maybe didn’t have that one clear cut opportunity that should have been taken.

Second half especially thought Dobbie was class. His free kick off the bar and the wee lob that went just past the far post were so close to being brilliant goals.

Harkins doing Welsh like a kipper was actually a highlight of the game, which says all that needs to be said about our performance.

Still unbeaten but our home form has to be a worry. With no disrespect to Queens, Ayr and Alloa, before the start of the season those are the games you would be expecting to win at home if we were planning on winning the league.

I think the last 2 games have shown already how much we miss Oakley and how much we will miss him for the next 6 weeks.

2 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

I'm just glad the game got played today and that Fae_the_'briggs isn't here to say "I told you so." 

I'm here.  My point which seems to be lost on some  was that travelling up on the day of the game is not the best preparation for the players IMO. but I understand the financial benefits. I never said it couldn't be done.  in fact I believe that a few of the players,  Dobbs included,  travelled up yesterday at their own expense.  If travelling up on the Saturday is such a good idea why have we wasted money in the past on overnight stays. 

1 hour ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

We’re now sitting comfortably just behind the top 4. Undefeated against the top 3 which included an emphatic home win against the inform league leaders.
Going forward we are at times a joy to watch. All this with one of the smallest budgets, squads and gate receipts in the league yet some of our fans think we have the divine right to finish in the top 2!!!!
Time for a major reality check for some of our supporters me thinks!!!

I don`t see any fans saying we have a divine right to be top 2.

And there you have it........huge catchment area and yet such a small support. It's no wonder we have no more floating fans, they've had it after years of stagnating and offering nothing more than 50 odd years of lower level sh'' e...........

39 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I don`t see any fans saying we have a divine right to be top 2.

I think the point was that given we have 2 very winnable games to come we are sitting in a reasonable league position to push into the top 4.

a position we all would have been very happy with given our budget and yes there are many who would only be happy with a top 2 finish........ or at least give that impression!!

2 minutes ago, SueSue said:

I think the point was that given we have 2 very winnable games to come we are sitting in a reasonable league position to push into the top 4.

a position we all would have been very happy with given our budget and yes there are many who would only be happy with a top 2 finish........ or at least give that impression!!

Only being happy with a top 2 finish and thinking we have a divine right for that aren`t the same thing though.

1 minute ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

10 out of 10 for observation. I was merely emphasising the ridiculous notion by the post quoted that we should be looking at a top 2 finish!!

What`s wrong with looking for a top 2 finish. That`s absolutely not the same as thinking we have a divine right to achieve it. 

1 minute ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

The realists amongst us are probably looking for a top 4 finish. I prefer to set my targets lower so anything else is a bonus.

I agree with that. Top 4 would be entirely satisfactory.

Just making the point that aiming high or for that matter targetting top 4 doesn`t imply thinking we have a divine right for any of those outcomes.

Jacobs my motm, we set up in a different shape of a 4-1-4-1 with todd getting in on the left a couple of times in first half but found it strange as Dykes was playing in centre of midfield? Whatever we done worked as we were the better team albeit no great chances, Dobbies free kick though...

These sort of comments spook me, why bother if that is all we expect? Surely with the players we have this season, we ourselves should be expecting to see us in the top two. The players read this message board and we need them to know they are more than capable. We will add to our squad in January to make the challenge we all want to see, I'm sure of that! Let's all encourage our club to make this a Centenary year to remember!

I expected to get beat yesterday tbh. I think the players know they are more than capable, and I don't think being happy with a point against ICT is suggesting they are incapable of better. What makes you think we'll add to the squad in January? Have we magically came into funds?

I have rarely seen a visiting team fail to create one solitary chance of any significance in 90 mins and Ross were undoubtedly there for the taking. If you listen to their manager and fans it was comprehensively their worst league performance of the season.For me it was a disappointing result but not a bad performance by us.

You say "there for the taking" as if we sat off County. We had a go at County and couldn't break them down. Considering we had scored 20 goals in our previous 6 games at Palmerston (and only failed to score against Motherwell) I think County deserve credit for containing our strike force. Even against Thistle we got a couple when we weren't at the races. I agree they created nothing but there's a good chance had they opened up we'd have punished them. If they claim it was their worst performance of the season and they still managed to keep us quiet then it suggests they are a very good side.

Archived