Betfred Semi-Finals

glasgow-sheep

What an absolutely shambolic decision. Only teams this suits are the scum. Many hearts fans likely to be put off by getting back to Edinburgh late and many Aberdeen fans likely to be put off by leaving at 8am. Probably the worst solution they could have come up with so it shouldn't surprise us.

First train from Aberdeen arrives at 12:14.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 10menwent2mow said:

What an absolutely shambolic decision. Only teams this suits are the scum. Many hearts fans likely to be put off by getting back to Edinburgh late and many Aberdeen fans likely to be put off by leaving at 8am. Probably the worst solution they could have come up with so it shouldn't surprise us.

Paranoid Celtic fans are already claiming it only suits Newco lol

They play Thur night and have to get up early for Sun game...sure that helps them lol

One beneficiary here... whoever charges overtime on Hampden's cleaning contract.

SF #1 goes to extra-time and penalties, you clear everyone out within about 30mins... that's 3:15pm.

3hrs later gates open for SF #2.

6 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Rugby Park had two games on it last Thursday.

Well, OK, I was meaning at league level - not non-league, youths, friendly tournaments, Olympic football etc.

e.g. sometime between the wars Hearts + Hibs + St Bernards briefly shared Tynecastle. Maybe happened.

7 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

When did a ground last host 2 games in 1 day?

Used to have them stupid friendly pre-season tournaments, 2 semi finals on the Saturday, Final & 3rd place on the Sunday

(seem to remember one at Pittodrie with Man U, West Ham and...Southampton?)

Course they didn't involve having thousands of fans being inconvenienced or actually matter a single fucking bit

1 minute ago, 10menwent2mow said:

They don't give a **** about Hearts or Aberdeen fans. 

4 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Rugby Park had two games on it last Thursday.

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

One beneficiary here... whoever charges overtime on Hampden's cleaning contract.

SF #1 goes to extra-time and penalties, you clear everyone out within about 30mins... that's 3:15pm.

3hrs later gates open for SF #2.

There was Queens Park game played at Hampden  few hours after the afternoon kick off of the famous Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt EC final in the 1950's I recall reading.

5 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

First train from Aberdeen arrives at 12:14.

That is really an issue for Scotrail.

I admire Neil Doncaster's balls here. Let everyone spend a news cycle criticising him, Hampden etc then comes out with a simple plan that doesn't involve anyone playing elsewhere, re-arranging fixtures and both ties on the Sunday. He has got out of what pundits called an impossible situation.

8 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

When did a ground last host 2 games in 1 day?

Outside of football, Murrayfield hosted 8 matches total in a single day in April this year. 5 on the international pitch and 3 on the back pitches. Was good crack like and the desso pitch held up very well. So it is doable i suppose. Just depends on the quality of the pitch.

I'm not ashamed to say but I'm having a complete heads gone over this. It's a complete nonsense. As I say, all it does is decrease the attendance from Aberdeen and hearts this further favouring each of the arsecheeks. And if Aberdeen beat rangers. Oooooft. Glasgow at supper time will be fun.

Most of you who are under 30 years of age won't have heard of this but there used to be trains called "Football Specials" which would take you direct from the town your team played in to the town the match was taking place.

When St. Mirren were doing well in the Scottish Cup in the 80s we got special trains from Gilmour St to Bridgeston for the semis in 82 and 83, Airdrie for the QF in 84 away to Airdrie and to Mount Florida for the final in 87.

Assuming that Aberdeen get the King's Park end of Hampden, would there not be a way to for a Football Special to come into Glasgow from Aberdeen via Stirling and Rutherglen which would then allow access to the Cathcart Circle and King's Park station?

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

That is really an issue for Scotrail.

I admire Neil Doncaster's balls here. Let everyone spend a news cycle criticising him, Hampden etc then comes out with a simple plan that doesn't involve anyone playing elsewhere, re-arranging fixtures and both ties on the Sunday. He has got out of what pundits called an impossible situation.

Still something that those planning an event they want people to attend should be taking into account.

Stolen from twitter

"What I propose is to put 80k+ football fans, comprised of the four largest teams in Scotland, in an area of about 2 squared miles."

"We should also give half of the fans a late kick off so they can drink all day before they arrive."

"Agreed, great idea."

Just now, Jute said:

Still something that those planning an event they want people to attend should be taking into account.

I assume this is the solution BT Sport wanted too. They don't have to run two production crews on the one day and 7:45 on sunday is an open slot on the football schedule in the UK.

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Most of you who are under 30 years of age won't have heard of this but there used to be trains called "Football Specials" which would take you direct from the town your team played in to the town the match was taking place.

When St. Mirren were doing well in the Scottish Cup in the 80s we got special trains from Gilmour St to Bridgeston for the semis in 82 and 83, Airdrie for the QF in 84 away to Airdrie and to Mount Florida for the final in 87.

Assuming that Aberdeen get the King's Park end of Hampden, would there not be a way to for a Football Special to come into Glasgow from Aberdeen via Stirling and Rutherglen which would then allow access to the Cathcart Circle and King's Park station?

Might be imagining this but sure I remember reading that there is no longer the spare rolling stock for them to put on football specials.

Archived