St Johnstone players overlooked by Scotland

ExiledSaint

1 minute ago, Ric said:

So just to confirm, your argument for including McLaughlin is because he's at Rangers, even though he is not first choice, and the reason not to pick Kelly is because he is not at Rangers despite him playing every single game?

I am beginning to see a pattern here.

Mclaughlin is a more experienced and the better goal keeper that has earned his right to be where he is just now,if it wasn't for the fact we still have big Gordon rolling back the years and playing the best he has in years,then big Jon would go straight into our team right now at Number one

Kelly time will come but he isn't getting in the squad when he just lost six not yet

2 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Mclaughlin is a more experienced and the better goal keeper that has earned his right to be where he is just now,if it wasn't for the fact we still have big Gordon rolling back the years and playing the best he has in years,then big Jon would go straight into our team right now at Number one

Kelly time will come but he isn't getting in the squad when he just lost six not yet

Well I am thankful that you are not picking the team, that's all I'll say! ;)

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

🤭

I understand how that looks from the outside, but last season, and in parts of this, he has been particularly good. There have been several "who is the best keeper" threads and he's regularly put within the top 5 or so. Obviously I see a lot more of him than other keepers. The difference is that I'm not pushing him for a cap.

Jon McLaughlin is this squad's Neil Alexander - a solid dependable keeper who you'd never want to be Scotland's first choice, but who will probably do fine if you have to pick him. I'd say Clark is currently the next best available after him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Kelly in more squads in general because he's a few years younger.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

My biggest shock for goalkeepers was how old McLaughlin is.

I thought he was the same age as Zander Clark.

Which is probably why it’s important to start getting Clark and Kelly into squads regularly now. There isn’t anyone else really out there right now better than them as Scotland third choices, and we quite possibly face a bit of a dilemma in about a year’s time as to who is number 1/number 2 when we start to look at the next Euro qualifiers.

Gordon turns 40 next December. If we qualify for the World Cup I see him going into that as number one then quite possibly retiring from international football after that. There’s also, given his age, a chance that he just stops justifying his position as number one on form/injury/whatever. That leaves McLaughlin next in line. I don’t see him becoming Rangers number one next season - even if McGregor decided to call it quits I reckon the most likely outcome is that Rangers go out and get someone better, especially if they’re in the Champions League. Could he be Scotland’s number one as a 36-year-old bench warmer? I’m not sure about that.

I’m a big fan of Zander Clark - and if he keeps up his level to what it has been for most of 2021 then he fully deserves his place in the squad. Scotland could do with the next Craig Gordon/Allan McGregor coming through though. We’ve been spoiled having them for the last 15 years.

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Which is probably why it’s important to start getting Clark and Kelly into squads regularly now. There isn’t anyone else really out there right now better than them as Scotland third choices, and we quite possibly face a bit of a dilemma in about a year’s time as to who is number 1/number 2 when we start to look at the next Euro qualifiers.

Gordon turns 40 next December. If we qualify for the World Cup I see him going into that as number one then quite possibly retiring from international football after that. There’s also, given his age, a chance that he just stops justifying his position as number one on form/injury/whatever. That leaves McLaughlin next in line. I don’t see him becoming Rangers number one next season - even if McGregor decided to call it quits I reckon the most likely outcome is that Rangers go out and get someone better, especially if they’re in the Champions League. Could he be Scotland’s number one as a 36-year-old bench warmer? I’m not sure about that.

I’m a big fan of Zander Clark - and if he keeps up his level to what it has been for most of 2021 then he fully deserves his place in the squad. Scotland could do with the next Craig Gordon/Allan McGregor coming through though. We’ve been spoiled having them for the last 15 years.

Chris Maxwell sitting 6th with Blackpool in the championship playing at a higher level