Best uncapped player in Scotland

Toshson

Just interested in whom everyone thinks is the best Scottish player at present, never to have been capped at international level. My vote would be for Stephen Dobbie, currently scoring goals for fun in the championship with Queen of the South. At his age its never going to happen but surely a few years back when he gained promotion to the English premier league with Swansea. At the time we had a rather negative manager Levein who elected  to play with out a striker in an away game against the Czechs. Definetly think Dobbie would of been a great option at the time when he was plying his trade at a high level in the english championship/premier league.!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, GordonS said:

Scott Allan

Steven MacLean

Harry Cochrane

David Gray

Paul Hanlon

Darren McGregor

Andy Considine

Mark Reynolds

Greg Stewart

Dylan McGeouch

Barrie McKay

All better than Stephen Dobbie, IMO.

Dylan McGeouch and Barrie McKay both have Scotland caps.

Considine isn't good enough, although he could still have had a cap in friendlies. Reynolds kicked about squads for ages, but never got on - again, not sure he was ever really good enough despite the whines of Aberdeen fans at the time. Gray and Allan both played their best football in the second tier and only have a small number top flight matches to their name.

I don't think Stephen Dobbie is as crazy a shout as many suggest. It could definitely be argued that it is odd that a player who has played for a few big clubs down south and has achieved 3 promotions to the English top tier has not be called up to international duty, especially considering the time he was playing and the players in front of him. I think there is worse players with a few caps.

It's Scott Arfield for me, I'm not sure why he was not capped by Scotland when he was doing so well for Burnley in the Premier League.

5 minutes ago, ShaggysBeard said:

It's Scott Arfield for me, I'm not sure why he was not capped by Scotland when he was doing so well for Burnley in the Premier League.

Arfield's biggest problem was that he was never one of the best 4 or 5 midfielders we had available.

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:
2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

So does Paul Hanlon

I thought he did as well, but he was an unused sub against the Netherlands, and didn't travel on the summer tour.

I was convinced that Mark Reynolds had been capped also. Apparently just a Scotland 'B' appearance (almost ten years ago now) and numerous times in and around the squads.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8032629.stm

Just shuddered as I remembered Berti's Future Cup Team a few years prior to this. Michael McIndoe up front and captained at the back by Boab 'Ultimate Cream Machine' Malcolm.

David Gray could probably count himself unlucky not to have a cap, particularly in a problem position and he must’ve been considered for the summer South American friendlies. I think the days of having big names not capped is long behind us. All the half decent players will have had a chance at some point or other.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Arfield's biggest problem was that he was never one of the best 4 or 5 midfielders we had available.

This. Someone mentioned how we’ve missed out on capping him and why did we let it happen, but I’ve always thought he was a solid, but fairly unspectacular player. Never at the level needed to get a cap for me.

He was on form in a time when Lewis MacLeod was in and around the squad while playing in a Rangers team that couldn't get up from the 2nd tier.

I'd find it very difficult to choose between Scott Arfield and Barry Bannan who has 27 caps.

Archived