Scotland players capped while playing in furren places

GordonS

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, sjc said:

Perhaps we should just go back to the Jurassic terms as "Ireland" is a Political insult to "Hibernia" and so on and so forth.......I personally don't give a f**k about geographical, political, ethnic, religious or whatever terms as they don't define me. As the great Mick Dundee says, it's like two fleas arguing who owns the dog!

Er... ok. 

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

And who gets to decide what the geographical term is? You? The Irish are a big chunk of the archipelago and they don't like the term, for good reason as it only relates to one of the islands, so I respect that.

Are my eyes deceiving me or has a grown adult just came out with that?

The island of Ireland is part of the British Isles. If the majority of Scotland decided they didn’t like being part of planet earth it doesn’t mean that Scotland is no longer located on planet earth. Shitting Christ.

On 11/10/2018 at 13:58, GordonS said:

Who was the last Scotland player capped while playing for a club in a country that doesn't speak English? 

Do you mean "where English isn't a first language"? 

7 hours ago, nsr said:

Do you mean "where English isn't a first language"? 

Yes, I kinda meant outside the Anglosphere. Anywhere a footballer and his missus might be nervous about going to the shops or ordering a meal.

19 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Are my eyes deceiving me or has a grown adult just came out with that?

The island of Ireland is part of the British Isles. If the majority of Scotland decided they didn’t like being part of planet earth it doesn’t mean that Scotland is no longer located on planet earth. Shitting Christ.

You can insist all you like in the most strident terms you want but you'll still be flat-out wrong. What this group of islands is called is a choice, and you won't find the term "British Isles" on any map or in any textbook in a school in Ireland. It's offensive to them to have a bunch of people from the country that occupied them for centuries, stole their land and starved them to death lump them in with the name of that country for the sake of it. Anyone ignoring that fact is being a total dick.

What you wrote screams "English Tory".

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

You can insist all you like in the most strident terms you want but you'll still be flat-out wrong. What this group of islands is called is a choice, and you won't find the term "British Isles" on any map or in any textbook in a school in Ireland. It's offensive to them to have a bunch of people from the country that occupied them for centuries, stole their land and starved them to death lump them in with the name of that country for the sake of it. Anyone ignoring that fact is being a total dick.

Are you mental?

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

Are you mental?

Yep. Definitely an English Tory.

Why don't you write an angry letter to the Telegraph telling the Irish that they live in the British Isles, because the English Tudors called it that in the 16 century and it must never, ever be open to reconsideration?

While you're at it, go and tell the Sri Lankans they live in Ceylon and the Zimbabweans that they live in Rhodesia.

Anyway, I'm done with you, you're clearly too narrow minded (and possibly too dense) to understand basic issues like that the name you give another place might not be what the people who live there want.

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Yep. Definitely an English Tory.

Why don't you write an angry letter to the Telegraph telling the Irish that they live in the British Isles, because the English Tudors called it that in the 16 century and it must never, ever be open to reconsideration?

While you're at it, go and tell the Sri Lankans they live in Ceylon and the Zimbabweans that they live in Rhodesia.

Anyway, I'm done with you, you're clearly too narrow minded (and possibly too dense) to understand basic issues like that the name you give another place might not be what the people who live there want.

I’ve never voted Tory in my life and am one of the least pro-UK people you will meet, I’m just not daft enough to think you can start rewriting primary school level Geography purely because you don’t like the terminology.

You come across as a complete loonball.

52 minutes ago, sjc said:

What do you call Australia or the USA, Gordon?

What the people who live there call them - Australia and the USA. Those aren't controversial terms even among the Aborigines and the First Nation Americans. This is not a difficult question and it's surprising you think it's relevant.

If you want a more questionable example, how about Londonderry/Derry? Personally I go with Derry, because that's what 90% of the people who live there call it and the addition of "London" by the settlers was a pretty nakedly imperialist act, but either is fine.

What do you call Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, Mumbai, Beijing, the Falkland Islands, Uluru and Denali, sjc?

58 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Are you mental?

You should educate yourself. Start here. Broaden your mind.

http://www.thejournal.ie/is-ireland-british-isles-northern-ireland-europe-islands-1140112-Oct2013/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_naming_dispute#Perspectives_in_Ireland

Think about this. I'm not telling you that you shouldn't say Ireland is in the British Isles. I'm saying that most Irish people don't like it, the Irish government don't recognise it, so I respect that and don't use the term. I'm raising the unarguable fact that the term is deeply contentious. I'm pointing out how the term came into use and that it was a choice, by an English royal court, and I'm asking why do they get to decide what another place is called.

I don't understand how you can't get your head round that. You might not agree, and that's fine, but it's obviously an arguable position. What it absolutely is not, is "mental"; or are you calling most Irish people, and the Irish government, "mental" too?

Shit like this makes arguing about politics on social media incredibly frustrating and a total waste of time. Most people are just ignorant, and cling to their preconceived positions like anchors in the storm, regardless of facts or reason. I thought I was safe here in the football forums, but clearly not. So this'll be the last time we cross paths.

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:

You should educate yourself. Start here. Broaden your mind.

http://www.thejournal.ie/is-ireland-british-isles-northern-ireland-europe-islands-1140112-Oct2013/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_naming_dispute#Perspectives_in_Ireland

Think about this. I'm not telling you that you shouldn't say Ireland is in the British Isles. I'm saying that most Irish people don't like it, the Irish government don't recognise it, so I respect that and don't use the term. I'm raising the unarguable fact that the term is deeply contentious. I'm pointing out how the term came into use and that it was a choice, by an English royal court, and I'm asking why do they get to decide what another place is called.

I don't understand how you can't get your head round that. You might not agree, and that's fine, but it's obviously an arguable position. What it absolutely is not, is "mental"; or are you calling most Irish people, and the Irish government, "mental" too?

Shit like this makes arguing about politics on social media incredibly frustrating and a total waste of time. Most people are just ignorant, and cling to their preconceived positions like anchors in the storm, regardless of facts or reason. I thought I was safe here in the football forums, but clearly not. So this'll be the last time we cross paths.

On 10/14/2018 at 17:51, RandomGuy. said:

I think you're massively over thinking things tbh.

"safe", "last time we cross paths" :lol:

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

Nor will youbfind thw British government using the term when corresponding with their Irish counterparts

You might not agree, and that's fine, but it's obviously an arguable position. What it absolutely is not, is "mental"; or are you calling most Irish people, and the Irish government, "mental" too?

IMG_4379.jpg

Archived