St Mirren vs Motherwell Halloween Relegation Horrorshow

Absolute horror show we just allow teams to do as they please i thought Sammy should've done better with first goal but it was only a matter of time before Motherwell scored we are rank rotten Motherwell wanted it more and deserved the victory.  Well done to the pitch invader taking making a mess of his charge before falling (only highlight of the game from saints point of view) 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, dylan_leggatt said:

We'd be as well to play Cody Cooke up front as poor as he looked in the betfred cup. If we are going to punt it long we might as well have someone up there thats a decent size. He got a bit of praise from AM for his performance in the reserves as well.

Can't be any worse with Cooke there. Thought Jamieson did well enough in his spell against Hibs. 

We were quite good last night and that 4-4-2 worked a charm. This was also helped by St Mirren being absolutely woeful in every position. 

From the angle behind the goals you can see that the shot from Turnbull is moving a lot in the air, but Samson is so slow to get down to it. I'd expect my keeper to get something behind that shot. As someone has said before it was watching peak Samson. Not necessarily the worst keeper in the world, but you can see the entire team looks nervous in front of him when anything comes in to the box.

Cadden had his best game for us in about 12 months. I think with him he either needs to be 20 yards further forward or back than his middling RWB role. He was always the threat going forward and took his goal well. Lovely celebration too. Tait looked assured at left back, but I think you could play him anywhere and he'd be good. 

As for the red card, I'm not really sure how anyone can say it was "harsh". It's an absolute howler which either came from frustration from the team being rotten, or an attempt to foul as he'd completely lost Tait. If it's the latter there's other ways you can foul someone without it being a knee height swipe with no effort to take the ball. Just grab a fistful of his jersey or something. I'd be shocked if it was appealed and even more so if it was overturned. 

Anton Ferdinand is absolutely finished btw. Guy looks like a bag of spare parts shambling around at the back. 

Edit to add:

Ryan Bowman, lads. Ryan Bowman. I know we won but hot dang he's terrible. He might have the worst first touch I've seen in professional football since Dirk Lehmann. He also really, really needs to learn how to challenge for a header without going up with his elbows round his ears. It does seem that Bowman/Main is the preferred strike partnership, sadly. Main, while short on confidence, at least can hold the ball up as we saw for Cadden's goal. Bowman is just honking in general. No hold up play, nothing to create a chance and all he does is run at corner flags as fast as he can.

5 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

As for the red card, I'm not really sure how anyone can say it was "harsh". It's an absolute howler which either came from frustration from the team being rotten, or an attempt to foul as he'd completely lost Tait. If it's the latter there's other ways you can foul someone without it being a knee height swipe with no effort to take the ball. Just grab a fistful of his jersey or something. I'd be shocked if it was appealed and even more so if it was overturned. 

Surprised at this as well, looked like a straight red from the stand, looks like a straight red on video. In the bin.

The red card incident happened right in front of me and it wasn't harsh in the slightest. It was obviously a red before he even made contact. A high challenge and absolutely no attempt to get the ball. Not sure if it was down to frustration or he just couldn't be arsed staying on the pitch any longer. It made no difference to the result anyway.

26 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Cadden had his best game for us in about 12 months. I think with him he either needs to be 20 yards further forward or back than his middling RWB role. He was always the threat going forward and took his goal well. Lovely celebration too. Tait looked assured at left back, but I think you could play him anywhere and he'd be good. 

This interested me quite a bit.

Again, I don't know if it's just because St Mirren allowed it to happen but Cadden was (weirdly) able to get up the park far more from right back than I've seen him when he's been playing wing back. Grimshaw seemed to act as a pivot in front of him and then just tuck in behind when he moved forward ahead of him.

More of this sort of thing please:

giphy.gif

52 minutes ago, dylan_leggatt said:

Thought the defence played ok tonight with the exception of one free  header. Motherwells chances all came from our midfielders not picking players up, The same midfield that is also offering nothing going forward. 

Samson should have saved the first but it wasn't a total howler . Skidding swerving dipping shot in the pissing rain and he made an arse of it.  Think it was Cammy Smith who wandered over to the right wing for little reason and left him unmarked for the shot.

Wouldn't appeal Flynns red card as he won't be missed anyway . Edwards is all effort and no end product other than a mortifying bit of cheating.

We have a midfield and attack of average height players and by the looks of it average ability at this level .  As Oran said in his post match , too many taking the easy option of punting it long.

We'd be as well to play Cody Cooke up front as poor as he looked in the betfred cup. If we are going to punt it long we might as well have someone up there thats a decent size. He got a bit of praise from AM for his performance in the reserves as well.

Jones is meant to be able to play defensive mid as well . It might be worth having him in there to try and add some spine to the midfield.

Have you listened to Oran interview? Long ball was not the tactic. Confidence does not exist at the moment that is our biggest hurdle to overcome.  

4 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Have you listened to Oran interview? Long ball was not the tactic. Confidence does not exist at the moment that is our biggest hurdle to overcome.  

I never said long ball was the tactic. I said too many players took the easy option and punted it long which is what he said .

The defence moved the ball about patiently gave it to the midfield who could think of bugger all decent to do with it so punted it long.

18 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Again, I don't know if it's just because St Mirren allowed it to happen but Cadden was (weirdly) able to get up the park far more from right back than I've seen him when he's been playing wing back. Grimshaw seemed to act as a pivot in front of him and then just tuck in behind when he moved forward ahead of him.

Not to blow my own horn, but then again... here we go:

I was banging this drum weeks ago (not alone, right enough) that we're ruined without Cadden bursting forward. Grimshaw was fucking brilliant off the ball, if not terribly exciting on it. His run inside to out is why we got the second goal, and the bursts he was making outside Cadden, or alternatively, his holding of the ball to let Cadden get past him, was fucking excellent.

Also: No to make too much of it, but Cadden's celebration is my highlight of the season so far. Fuckin ML1 mate.

2 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I can only assume my eyes were playing tricks on me due to the distance but about 5 minutes in we played a cross into the box which made its way to Main. It looked as though he just had to tap it in but took a touch and got crowded out. It's not in the highlights which suggests it wasn't as clear cut as I thought at the time. Can anyone who saw it on Alba clarify?

No idea why he didn't get his shot away

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

It's the easy option but as OK says without a target player it's a poor option as it just concedes possession.

Why not rectify this by playing Cooke as a target man as currently our midfield players lack confidence and/or ability to do anything else?

After 6 consecutive defeats, some of them comprehensive, it's worth considering

Cadden had his best match since he hit puberty 
The red card was as much a straight red you will ever see
St Mirren are fucking humpty
Craig Samson is the absolute definition of 'shite'
We will not be relegated with dross like St Mirren and Dundee in the league
I was surprised that anyone could match how poor we have been but St. Mirren managed it and then some. I'll wait until 5 o'clock on Saturday before commenting on Dundee though. [emoji6]

13 hours ago, Swello said:

Just saw the red on Alba - surely they will appeal that one - nothing in it.

It's a dreadful challenge.  Over the ball challenge, and no sense of control.  Complete "head's gone" moment for the lad.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Samson kept at least 3 out at the weekend, it's his job but he did ok I thought.

He should have saved the first, and the second he looked a bit leaden footed.  He's dreadful though.  All goalkeepers are "good shot stoppers" - it's a meaningless phrase that comes out to defend keepers who are shite with crosses.   Danny Rogers is fairly meh, but he'd surely have more confidence than Samson.  He's all at sea for the disallowed goal too.   

St Mirren and Dundee are finishing 11th and 12th.  Martin Canning gets to live another season.

28 minutes ago, btb said:

It's the easy option but as OK says without a target player it's a poor option as it just concedes possession.

Why not rectify this by playing Cooke as a target man as currently our midfield players lack confidence and/or ability to do anything else?

After 6 consecutive defeats, some of them comprehensive it's worth considering

Agreed, Mullen and Jackson need balls into feet or balls in behind . Just now they are having to feed off of too many balls up to them at height be it from midfield or from hopeful crosses into the box. 

No idea if Cooke can do a job or not but at the moment I can't see where a point is going to come before January so he needs to try something 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

giphy.gif

Good gif; terrible from our point of view. Watch the guy who initially receives the throw-in -  sorry, can't see who it is. He proceeds to make two completely unchallenged, unmarked runs into the box. Midfield and defence just ambling about in his general vicinity.

FFS.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

More of this sort of thing please:

giphy.gif

Like the Bellshill Carlos Alberto.

@thisGRAEME's pretty much said exactly what I was thinking. Grimshaw was a complete game changer for us in that role as he was making space for Cadden to storm in to. The RWB role has totally nullified Cadden's best trait which is his pace & engine. He could run until the end of time for this time but, with the best will in the world, he doesn't have the skill to actually beat a man and make that distance up. Having Grimshaw move inside and give him that space made him look absolutely outstanding. Also hook his celebration right into my veins please. 

Incredible how we broke in to playing actual football at times last night. 

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

It's a dreadful challenge.  Over the ball challenge, and no sense of control.  Complete "head's gone" moment for the lad.

He should have saved the first, and the second he looked a bit leaden footed.  He's dreadful though.  All goalkeepers are "good shot stoppers" - it's a meaningless phrase that comes out to defend keepers who are shite with crosses.   Danny Rogers is fairly meh, but he'd surely have more confidence than Samson.  He's all at sea for the disallowed goal too.   

St Mirren and Dundee are finishing 11th and 12th.  Martin Canning gets to live another season.

It seems to be a minimum requirement for a GK, not for Samson though.

Archived