Arbroath v East Fife

Arbroath deserved to win.East Fife offered very little up front where Thomson ,Court and Smith had poor games.A bit of a bitter taste as the goal came from a blatant foul on Docherty in midfield.That decision was in keeping with the rest of the referee’s performance.

Agree the referee was awful, but there was 2 or 3 occasions where the East Fife players didn’t play to the whistle and got caught out.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Different slant on  the game from me, I actually thought it was a very good workmanlike display despite us not being at our fluid best. We just never look like losing a goal ever so we know just one mistake or piece of quality can win us these games. East fife are no mugs.

I think we really have to enjoy swankie whilst he is here. He was a very good striker when he was with us before, now is a brilliant all round midfielder at this level, a joy to watch every week.

i agree on Wallace, he’s just not my type of player, once Doris is fully fit he needs a spell out the team, his petulance is very annoying and just not needed.

Different slant on  the game from me, I actually thought it was a very good workmanlike display despite us not being at our fluid best. We just never look like losing a goal ever so we know just one mistake or piece of quality can win us these games. East fife are no mugs.
I think we really have to enjoy swankie whilst he is here. He was a very good striker when he was with us before, now is a brilliant all round midfielder at this level, a joy to watch every week.
i agree on Wallace, he’s just not my type of player, once Doris is fully fit he needs a spell out the team, his petulance is very annoying and just not needed.

I agree about our workmanlike performance. It’s ugly but effective

Over the piece, Arbroath probably deserved it. Not really much in it, but you did feel Arbroath would score at some point. Never felt that with the Fife today. I really hope DY goes back to the starting 11 that worked so well. Our 1st half tactics were strange to say the least.A hooligan blowing behind us, but seemed to leave Courts isolated for long spells, hoping to pick up 2nd balls . I was hoping for 3or 4 points from these 2 games, so we all know what that means now.

Think we lost that game in the first half playing with the wind far to big a gap from middle to front . Court isolated up top for 45 minutes . Thomson skinned the Arbroath full back on several occasions but his final ball was atrocious hitting the first man every time. Best chances fell from a couple of decent corners but just never got a break of the ball.  We needed a goal to hold onto and it always looked a difficult task when we turned level at half time, and we did ok 2nd half but an absolutely shocking refereeing decision has ultimately decided the game. We were unlucky at the end when we rattled the bar.  Another game in Scottish football where the ref decides the outcome who would have thought it.

5 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

Think we lost that game in the first half playing with the wind far to big a gap from middle to front . Court isolated up top for 45 minutes . Thomson skinned the Arbroath full back on several occasions but his final ball was atrocious hitting the first man every time. Best chances fell from a couple of decent corners but just never got a break of the ball.  We needed a goal to hold onto and it always looked a difficult task when we turned level at half time, and we did ok 2nd half but an absolutely shocking refereeing decision has ultimately decided the game. We were unlucky at the end when we rattled the bar.  Another game in Scottish football where the ref decides the outcome who would have thought it.

Stretching it to say the ref decided the outcome of the game to say the least, I've no idea if the tackle in the lead up to the goal was a foul or not but it was in the Arbroath half I think and still a hell of a lot to do before we scored the goal and I don't recall the ref doing anything to prevent the Fifers from scoring themselves.

I can assure you a blatant foul ref not 2 yards from it . Arbroath player not even close to making contact with the ball .

If the EF players hadn’t completely frozen then they would’ve had a chance with the goal. First thing you get taught playing the game is play to the whistle ffs.

Fair play to Arbroath, what a great start to the season they have had and have already opened up a bit of a cushion over everyone else. You would expect Raith to strengthen in January, so having a decent lead by then could be critical in winning the league.

As for us, we knew we had a difficult few games coming with Dumbarton, Arbroath and next up Raith Rovers in the derby. It’s looking like 0 points from 9 but then back on to more winnable games again.

Not convinced that we deserved to win today, but happy to take the 3 points. I thought EF were the better side for periods of the game, they passed the ball and found their men better than us but were poor up front. Not that we were that much better in front of goal, but weather conditions didn't help either side. 

Swankie was man of the match for me and Kader made a difference for the short time he was on. Was a bit worried for Steven Doris when he went down from what looked like a late tackle, relieved when he got up and was able to carry on.

Archived