Scottish Cup TV Rights

The Minertaur

3 hours ago, The Master said:

I assume this deal kicks in from this season, minus the R1-3 games? It's just the BBC's own article on it seems to suggest it doesn't start until 2019/20.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46182485

However, the quote on the SFA website suggests it does start from this season:

I would bet that the early round games will go on the new BBC Scotland channel, which is due to start in February (i.e. too late for this year's Scottish Cup). That's where the Friday night Championship games are going.

2 hours ago, glasgow-sheep said:
4 hours ago, Marshmallo said:
Great news for the teams who'd be in rounds 1-3, am I correct in saying it's about 50k per team for a live game? That's mega money for most of those clubs. 

Didn't this change so clubs on TV don't get that much extra and more money into the pot to be shared around?

It has already been very heavily reduced... to something like £20k to £30k instead of £82.5k. If suggestions the overall deal is worth less money than before are accurate - and Sky not bidding, Premier Sports succeeding, and SFA selling 18 per season instead of 12 and only striking a deal partway through this season suggests they had certainly run into some trouble - cynics might be valid in wondering if this was already being envisaged.  It will also be interesting to see if televised clubs in R1-R3 get the full rate.

I think ties in R1 to R3 being shown is a positive move, although it'll be interesting to see what R1 ties are picked and how far out of Strathclyde they ever venture: at the moment the BBC are lucky if they even run R1 results. Certainly the preliminaries are never mentioned - normally the cup only "starts" at R2 in BBC-land. Unless the format's tweaked it will be almost entirely part-time and non-leaguers... top 4 Championship clubs currently get byes past R3... giving welcome coverage and exposure.

I think Premier Sports acquiring games is a negative: as noted the Setanta issues are concerning, it's not one of the major broadcasters, viewing figures will be lower potentially affecting sponsorship sellability.

Also having every QF and half of the Last 16 on TV and therefore not on Saturday afternoons will probably further reduce crowds which are already proving a concern. However it might actually help the crowd in the non-BBC SF as people with Sky might be more likely to attend rather than add a Premier Sports deal.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Supporters will be able to watch four live matches in Rounds 4 to 6, with both broadcasters each screening two live games per round on an exclusive basis. In the later stages of the tournament, Premier Sports will broadcast one semi-final exclusively while the other semi-final and the final will be shown across both channels.

Am I being particularly thick or does the number of live games shown in Round 4-6 not add up? :huh:

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It has already been very heavily reduced... to something like £20k to £30k instead of £82.5k. If suggestions the overall deal is worth less money than before are accurate - and Sky not bidding, Premier Sports succeeding, and SFA selling 19 per season instead of 9 and only striking a deal partway through this season suggests they had certainly run into some trouble - cynics might be valid in wondering if this was already being envisaged.  It will also be interesting to see if televised clubs in R1-R3 get the full rate.

I think ties in R1 to R3 being shown is a positive move, although it'll be interesting to see what R1 ties are picked and how far out of Strathclyde they ever venture: at the moment the BBC are lucky if they even run R1 results. Certainly the preliminaries are never mentioned and normally the cup only "starts" for them at R2.

I think Premier Sports acquiring games is a negative: as noted the Setanta issues are concerning, it's not one of the major broadcasters, viewing figures will be lower potentially affecting sponsorship sellability.

Also having every QF and half of the Last 16 on TV and therefore not on Saturday afternoons will probably further reduce crowds which are already proving a concern. However it might actually help the crowd in the non-BBC SF as people with Sky might be more likely to attend rather than add a Premier Sports deal.

Problem with that is that, if the contract is similar to before, Premier will get first pick and that semi-final will most likely be a game that would be well attended anyway (i.e. Old Firm or either one of them vs one of the other bigger clubs).

This shitstorm was anticipated here last May.  Scottish Cup was always going to be a difficult sell without Scotland games to package it with. This is not quite sticking it on Youtube like the U21 games, but it's not far off.

1 minute ago, jagfox99 said:

Am I being particularly thick or does the number of live games shown in Round 4-6 not add up? :huh:

Yes. It means that Premier and BBC will show two games each in each round, which gives four televised games in each round. I think it was three before (one BBC and two Sky).

2 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

I thought it added-up?

BBC show 1 tie in R1, R2 and R3.

Premier Sports and BBC show 2 ties each in R4, R5 and R6 (i.e. every QF).

Premier Sports and BBC each show 1 SF. Both show the Final.

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I thought it added-up?

BBC show 1 tie in R1, R2 and R3.

Premier Sports and BBC show 2 ties each in R4, R5 and R6 (i.e. every QF).

Premier Sports and BBC each show 1 SF. Both show the Final.

I misread it as there being a total of four live games in rounds 4-6 rather than 4 per round. Yup, I was being thick :lol:

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

It'll mean quarter of R4 "day" being on TV, half of Last 16, and every QF.

Saturation of cup ties. You’d assume the deal adequately compensates the clubs? Any idea what days/ times they are looking at?

18 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Problem with that is that, if the contract is similar to before, Premier will get first pick and that semi-final will most likely be a game that would be well attended anyway (i.e. Old Firm or either one of them vs one of the other bigger clubs).

True. However they haven't (quite) just handed them Sky's package and given BBC an extra tie every round from R1 to R4... Sky used to show both SFs... so maybe the pick order has altered?

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

True. However they haven't (quite) just handed them Sky's package and given BBC an extra tie every round from R1 to R4... Sky used to show both SFs... so maybe the pick order has altered?

I think Premier does get to show both semi's but only one is exclusive?

20 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I think Premier does get to show both semi's but only one is exclusive?

Reading the press release again that's correct.

So in terms of the games their deal is exactly the deal that Sky had.

In which case the question is whether Premier Sports have their choice of which Semi-Final to show exclusively... as with Sky... or whether BBC get to choose which SF to double-up on.

Similarly whether the order of picks in R4-R6 simply goes from Sky>BBC>Sky to Premier>BBC>Premier>BBC.

EDIT: Incidentally have Premier Sports even taken-up their Challenge Cup games recently?

EDIT AGAIN: Apparently not. Having showed 1 tie per round until QFs (and 2 of those) in 2016-17, they showed none last season, and none so far this season.

Edited by HibeeJibee

4 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

So to have access to all Scottish TV games next season we would need to fork out for BT, Sky and now Premier Sports too? Less than ideal.

better than the current complete lack of interest in the early rounds from broadcasters currently.in one of the earlier rounds this season sportsound could barely be arsed even reading the results on the radio

58 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

I would bet that the early round games will go on the new BBC Scotland channel, which is due to start in February (i.e. too late for this year's Scottish Cup). That's where the Friday night Championship games are going.

Has this deal for Friday night Championship games been confirmed? I’ve seen paper talk, but nothing more concrete. 

13 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Well if they’re bothering to show a live game per round it’s hardly a giant leap is it?

It’s a bit of a logistical challenge.

Yes, clubs already film their own games and many of them do it quite well. But the BBC won’t see it that way and would want to do it themselves (or at the very least have an Indy production company do it).

22 minutes ago, The Master said:

It’s a bit of a logistical challenge.

Yes, clubs already film their own games and many of them do it quite well. But the BBC won’t see it that way and would want to do it themselves (or at the very least have an Indy production company do it).

The SFA already do outsource the filming of the earlier rounds to external companies. Think the major issue would be consistency of facilities at the grounds at that stage. Certainly wouldn’t be MotD, that’s for sure.