Scottish Cup TV Rights

The Minertaur

4 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I hope someone publishes the figures Premier gets when they show the Final, when it's being broadcast, for free, by the BBC.

If the number is three figures or higher then they're at it.

Premier won't particularly care about the figures for the final. The value for them is in the exclusive games.

Even advertising isn't an issue because space is sold to agencies who then fill it. 

16 hours ago, The Master said:

Premier won't particularly care about the figures for the final. The value for them is in the exclusive games.

Even advertising isn't an issue because space is sold to agencies who then fill it. 

They must have managed decent numbers for the CL qualifiers they've shown, otherwise they'd not have bothered with the Scottish Cup.

16 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

They must have managed decent numbers for the CL qualifiers they've shown, otherwise they'd not have bothered with the Scottish Cup.

Premier Sports 1 HD was free on Virgin Media through the summer as a preview thing (possibly on sky too?)...perhaps not a good indication, cos I know I watched a couple of Hibs and Rangers games just cos it was on and free :lol:

Edited by mugen_power

22 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I hope someone publishes the figures Premier gets when they show the Final, when it's being broadcast, for free, by the BBC.

If the number is three figures or higher then they're at it.

Do the BBC have UK-wide rights for the final, or just Scotland?

9 hours ago, bendan said:

Do the BBC have UK-wide rights for the final, or just Scotland?

The rights won't be restricted to only Scotland, insofar as they'll be able to show it on satellite and online.

But that doesn't necessarily mean they can actively show it outside of Scotland - there being a difference between someone in England/Wales/NI watching on BBC1 Scotland on satellite, and sitting down to watch it on their own version of BBC1/2.

When the BBC had the SPL (as-was) rights, they only bought UK-wide rights for four of their 38 games a season (guess which four), with the rest being strictly Scotland-only. That led to the hilariously farcical situation of people with Sky getting a message telling them to tune to terrestrial because there was no way of restricting the Satellite broadcast.

On 27/11/2018 at 08:47, The Master said:

The rights won't be restricted to only Scotland, insofar as they'll be able to show it on satellite and online.

But that doesn't necessarily mean they can actively show it outside of Scotland - there being a difference between someone in England/Wales/NI watching on BBC1 Scotland on satellite, and sitting down to watch it on their own version of BBC1/2.

When the BBC had the SPL (as-was) rights, they only bought UK-wide rights for four of their 38 games a season (guess which four), with the rest being strictly Scotland-only. That led to the hilariously farcical situation of people with Sky getting a message telling them to tune to terrestrial because there was no way of restricting the Satellite broadcast.

It would be interesting to see the exact terms of the deal. The Scottish cup final is only reserved for terrestrial broadcasting in Scotland, so I wonder if the contract with the SFA is UK wide or not. Back in 2002 when the BBC had SPL rights, Setanta had rest-of-UK rights for games, and, I think, enforced some kind of restriction of BBC satellite broadcasts.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11901605.BBC_backs_down_in_satellite_SPL_row/

• 1 month later...

They have the same producer for Scottish Cip as BT has for the SPFL, Sunset & Vine. 

It was always likely that they would use the similar production values on Premier Sports, if not the same presenting team. I imagine none of the on screen team have exclusive contracts. 

Edited by Handsome John

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

We've got two all Premier League replays this week and neither are on TV.  Are replays not covered in the deal or is it a case of only when at least one of the Old Firm is involved?

Can't be shown this midweek due to the European games on TV.

Can't be shown this midweek due to the European games on TV.

Not true. They can be shown with permission of UEFA but it’s not worth it for broadcasters as not enough people in Scotland will chose the replays over Champions League.

1 hour ago, PB1994 said:

Not true. They can be shown with permission of UEFA but it’s not worth it for broadcasters as not enough people in Scotland will chose the replays over Champions League.

My understanding is that unscheduled matches can be shown live, ie cup replays and rescheduled league postponements.

16 hours ago, kingjoey said:

My understanding is that unscheduled matches can be shown live, ie cup replays and rescheduled league postponements.

Only with the permission of UEFA.

But this only applies to league games - the Memorandum of Understanding is with the EPFL. 

I suspect that national cup games are governed more formally through each national FA's membership of UEFA.

18 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Matches cannot be scheduled to even be played on UEFA dates - ie the SPFL would not be allowed to schedule a matchweek in this midweek (or most other midweeks between now and April). Unscheduled matches are allowed to be played on these dates, but are still not allowed to be televised.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Matches cannot be scheduled to even be played on UEFA dates - ie the SPFL would not be allowed to schedule a matchweek in this midweek (or most other midweeks between now and April). Unscheduled matches are allowed to be played on these dates, but are still not allowed to be televised.

Unless you're a big enough league and can suck up the penalties for doing so (or reach an agreement...maybe...who knows).

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11931538/man-city-vs-west-ham-rearranged-for-february-19-and-live-on-sky-sports

(Ignore the bit about the agreement being scrapped; it was replaced by a broadly similar one)