Ayr vs County

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Smith is far better than Devlin. Devlin was very quick and loved a slide tackle because he was more often than out caught out of position.

Smith doesn’t dive in and suits our style of play better.

He was poor today but I thought over the 90 minutes most of the team were off the pace.

I struggle to believe that someone who plays at the likes of recreation park is far better than another who gets tested against teams such as Sunderland or Portsmouth. I have no doubt Smith will move to a higher level but not sure it will be better than where Devlin currently plays. I don’t think Smith played poorly today more he was up against good quality and fast  players meaning he didn’t get it all his own way like some games 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I struggle to believe that someone who plays at the likes of recreation park is far better than another who gets tested against teams such as Sunderland or Portsmouth. I have no doubt Smith will move to a higher level but not sure it will be better than where Devlin currently plays. I don’t think Smith played poorly today more he was up against good quality and fast  players meaning he didn’t get it all his own way like some games 

Devlin may have improved since he left but there’s no point comparing what he’s like now to how good Smith is. Devlin was a fans favourite and yes a good player but he was way overrated by a number of our supporters. He was quick and powerful but his delivery into the box was woeful and his positioning cost us numerous goals in his time at Ayr.

If I had the option between Devlin and Smith I’d have Smith every day of the week even if he has learnt to cross the ball in his time at Walsall.

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Devlin may have improved since he left but there’s no point comparing what he’s like now to how good Smith is. Devlin was a fans favourite and yes a good player but he was way overrated by a number of our supporters. He was quick and powerful but his delivery into the box was woeful and his positioning cost us numerous goals in his time at Ayr.

If I had the option between Devlin and Smith I’d have Smith every day of the week even if he has learnt to cross the ball in his time at Walsall.

Even from his time at Ayr I would still  rate Devlin as better. We were bottom of the championship yet he was still about the best right back in the league. I agree his crossing could be better and his constant attacks did leave him out of position sometimes. However at the time we didn’t really play many strikers to take advantage of any crosses. We also didn’t have Shankland who can keep control of a ball for ages in the opposition half giving our defence time to recover. Pretty sure if Devlin was playing this season having the benefit of Murdoch and Shanklands alongside many of the doubts would disappear 

Game finished over four hours ago, I’ve had a few drinks and I still can’t decide how to feel about the result today. On one hand we were 3-1 up and going four points clear with a game of hand would have been fantastic however on the other hand when it went 3-3 County were by far the better team and could and should have went on to win the game and we’re still a point clear with a game in hand a one less game to play. Dundee United drawing is also decent. 

15 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Even from his time at Ayr I would still  rate Devlin as better. We were bottom of the championship yet he was still about the best right back in the league. I agree his crossing could be better and his constant attacks did leave him out of position sometimes. However at the time we didn’t really play many strikers to take advantage of any crosses. We also didn’t have Shankland who can keep control of a ball for ages in the opposition half giving our defence time to recover. Pretty sure if Devlin was playing this season having the benefit of Murdoch and Shanklands alongside many of the doubts would disappear 

Our strikers this season would be shaking their heads at his poor delivery, he ran fast.

Djaffo, the point being made is bigJamie is a warrior and that's what was missing today  and the sooner he's back the better someone to challenge there rout one style  today if he was fit and I would have played him before Bell all day long at the back, bell continually lost challenges in the air today, I think he's an impact player for me as he can play a few positions.

2 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Djaffo, the point being made is bigJamie is a warrior and that's what was missing today  and the sooner he's back the better someone to challenge there rout one style  today if he was fit and I would have played him before Bell all day long at the back, bell continually lost challenges in the air today, I think he's an impact player for me as he can play a few positions.

^^^

The "Get Intae Him" Generation.

I don’t see how you can say Bell lost challenges in the air today when all County were doing was knocking long beyond our defenders. I doubt Adams would’ve made a difference in that situation today.

Bell has been phenomenal this season at centre back and he and Rose are our established pairing. For me Adams is a crucial “big game” player and I’d probably play him next week against the Pars if he’s fit.

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

No idea what you mean by that

Because we didn't have a defence for a fair chunk of the 2nd half, we weren't even getting balls when there was no challenge for a period.

Got to laugh at the negatively on here,we were basically playing a premier league team and at the beginning of the season would have thought they would have been well clear in the league,ok second half display wasn't the best but against them up there our second half display was exceptional and so unlucky not to get at least a point,we are still top which in my opinion is unbelievable,keep it up Ayr

3 minutes ago, Superayr97 said:

Got to laugh at the negatively on here,we were basically playing a premier league team and at the beginning of the season would have thought they would have been well clear in the league,ok second half display wasn't the best but against them up there our second half display was exceptional and so unlucky not to get at least a point,we are still top which in my opinion is unbelievable,keep it up Ayr

There's nothing negative about pointing out the truth, just as there's nothing positive about posts when we've played really well.

I'm pretty sure the stats clearly point to that too.

Yep in the league we’ve only conceded 6 goals when Rose and Bell have been on the park. Apart from a 10 minute spell when Bell played midfield all that time they’ve both been a centre back pairing.

Archived