St Johnstone v Rangers, Sunday 23rd December 12:15pm

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put my hand up to being critical of Tommy's line up before the game, as it'd been suggested it was 4-6-0. But hard to argue with the line up and tactics the way the game went.

Thought a draw would have been fair enough overall, and really disappointing to lose it late on. 

We seemed to come out a lot more in the second half, which made for a more entertaining game, but I wonder if that opened us up too much and allowed Rangers to create chances. Not going to complain too much though, as we had some great openings ourselves.

Zander Clark, Scott Tanser, Murray Davidson, Liam Craig all had decent games, with no real failings. And after thinking he looked like a puppy chasing a ball just running about anywhere for the first 20 minutes, Callachan settled into a good game, and brings a lot of energy to the team. For them, Morelos is head and shoulders above everybody else in their team, with McGregor playing well other than one flap at a cross that conceded a corner.

However, Matt Kennedy was the best player on the park. Absolutely brilliant. Shame he was so shattered and had to go offtowards the end, as we lost a lot of our attacking threat.

21 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Gutted to come away with nothing against an uninspiring Rangers team.

Pretty much this but they are an uninspiring side with one exceptional player, his second finish was brilliant.

It can be frustrating watching your team sit in against an opponent rather than get after them but when it results with the first half performance we produced, you can't knock it. They didn't record a single effort on target and we created two or three great opportunities on top of the goal.

I felt we were looking totally comfortable before the equaliser and even after that - Rangers definitely improved - it looked like it could go either way but it's a brilliant finish from Morelos to win it, as already mentioned. Where would Rangers be without him?

Thought Callachan had his best game for the club and Clark, Tanser, Kerr and Kennedy all deserve a mention.

Saints need at least four points from the next two games to avoid getting detached from the top six I fear, especially with the Celtic double-header coming up after the break.

19 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

3 with a game in hand. So effectively 9 after they win that and pump your lot on the 29th.

Falkirks answer to Carol Vorderman isn't quite right here.

Try again?

Very different game today compared to Wed's match at Easter Road.  Hibs' so-called footballing pedigree is, in truth, Pedigree Chum and if we'd reached double figures it wouldn't have been a surprise.

St Johnstone, today, were everything Hibs weren't:  organised, committed and skillful and scoring a well-deserved and terrific goal.  We, in contrast, were leaden-footed and uninspiring.  Two good balls in to the box and two well taken goals from the league's best striker was the only difference between the two teams.  We may not be exactly dug meat but without Alfie we wouldn't Winalot of games.

Just back from that and it is difficult to criticise any of the Saints players - thought we deserved at least a draw. Unfortunately, there was one player on the pitch with potential to play at a higher level and he got two decent finishes.

Best player on the park was Kennedy, great energy and his touch is lovely. First time I have seen Callachan live and I was impressed, was often the furthest forward midfielder and dug in well.

Jason Kerr is going to be some player - the block from Lafferty was incredible and TW said on the radio he slipped for the 2nd goal to let Morelos score but it was some finish.

TW got his tactics spot on, was so obvious that we were happy to give the Rangers centre halves the ball as they were struggling, the ginger fella looked like he was playing with a bomb...

Very proud of Saints today, very organised and worked for each other. Two big away games coming up but if we play like that then a great chance of 6 points.

13 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Very different game today compared to Wed's match at Easter Road.  Hibs' so-called footballing pedigree is, in truth, Pedigree Chum and if we'd reached double figures it wouldn't have been a surprise.

St Johnstone, today, were everything Hibs weren't:  organised, committed and skillful and scoring a well-deserved and terrific goal.  We, in contrast, were leaden-footed and uninspiring.  Two good balls in to the box and two well taken goals from the league's best striker was the only difference between the two teams.  We may not be exactly dug meat but without Alfie we wouldn't Winalot of games.

Pleasing to see you're still hurting from Wednesday's game.   

Archived