C***s in restaurants

Romeo

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Workers of many other minimum wage jobs do not get tips. Why should a waiter/waitress get a tip?

Worth remembering that most of them won't keep it all and its most likely spilt with the kitchen staff. 10% isn't out the way and in my experience between 70% and 80% of people would leave a tip and it is greatly appreciated.

Working in catering isn't really comparable with other lines of minimum wage work. I.e. its unlikely that a labourer would be providing you directly with a service so it odd for someone to tip them but you might tip a tour guide who has done a good job, both these jobs a likely to be minimum wage however when the employee has no direct contact then they are unlikely to be rewarded (tipped) for good work.

1 hour ago, Romeo said:

Lots of people trying to cover being miserable bastads with the old "they already get paid" pish.

I don’t tip for the sake of it, I gladly tip if the service and meal has been good though

Unless they are absolutely skint, nothing makes me cringe more than when c***s spend ages discussing what they had rather than dividing the bill between the number of people.

Had a mate playing the “aye but you had a steak” game because he was paying for a cruise at the time. You reach a point in life where you assume you are beyond this shit. He also doesn’t tip.

I work as a waiter, so here is my tuppence worth.

The tipping thing. If we got paid a decent wage, your food would be more expensive. I hate the fact that tipping exists (I'd rather be paid a decent living wage) but people honestly don't realise how physical a job this is, or how stressful. We work long hours (8 hour shifts a lot of the time, with no break) and do a lot of physical stuff (cleaning, taking bins out etc) that customers don't see. I honestly don't mind if you're a couple of students, or youngsters, and you don't leave anything. That's fine. Leaving between 5 and 10% is about the norm and brings my wage up to something a bit more liveable. It's not a reward (although it's seen that way) it's a wage subsidy.

I'll go out of my way to discourage the splitting of a bill multiple ways. It takes an absolute age to do so (remembering what everyone of a 13 cover table had to eat and drink is a bit much) and it's much quicker if everyone just adds it up using their calculator on their phones. Splitting the check that many ways definitely reduces the chances of a tip. 

Interesting to hear that people object to loud guests. I love them., They're generally having a good time and they'll absolutely leave something at the end of the meal. Tipping pretty much defines our whole experience of a guest. If you're an arrogant arsehole and don't even look me in the eye, but leave £5 on a £30 bill then I'll be making sure you're sat in my section again next time around. If you're a lovely chatty individual, with a lovely family, and you continually leave nothing, then I'll smile and banter with you as I sit you at a table elsewhere in the restaurant. This obviously doesn't apply when the woman is attractive. Obviously.

Not tipping = c**t
Splitting out a bill into individual meals to save 50p = c**t
Treating service staff like shite = c**t

Looking at it another way - if you’ve had a steak, and an extra bottle of wine and you don’t at least offer to pay more you’re also a c**t.

The biggest c***s in restaurants are the waiters/waitresses who won't leave you alone during the meal.

For the umpteenth time my meal is fine thankyou very much. If it wasn't I would soon tell you. Can I please get back to my conversation that you have just interrupted?

Unless I have had a horrendous experience, these are the only types I won't tip

2 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

The biggest c***s in restaurants are the waiters/waitresses who won't leave you alone during the meal.

For the umpteenth time my meal is fine thankyou very much. If it wasn't I would soon tell you. Can I please get back to my conversation that you have just interrupted?

Unless I have had a horrendous experience, these are the only types I won't tip

Yep, this does my breasts in.  If there's something wrong we'll let you know m8.

18 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

You see , that is the nub of the problem , you deciding what is best for me , now that is the sign of the Cnut on the loose , 

it it works this way , i’m Paying for it , so i’ll Request it done the way I prefer 

nae doot, you will also be the sort to tell me what to put in my dram , what is permissible and what isn’t , even in my own house once the dram is offered , it is up to the drinker to choose how he takes it , with ice , water , even coke , or just neat, that is the choice. , there is no right or wrong way in these sort of things.

a very valuable lesson taught me by my now departed old boy , “ Never water another man’s Whisky”, that pretty much applies across the board , it’s a good life lesson on tolerance. 

not tipping , or getting arsey about the coffee machine , Cnut , A1 , 

understanding how you own taste / preference works , and not imposing it on others , decent responsible member of society 

I'm not deciding what's best for you, I'm telling you what's best for the steak. It's not opinion, it's physics.

You may prefer the taste of some scorched holocaust, and that is entirely your prerogative, but you are empirically wrong about the meat.

The example of the whisky is a good one though, but I'd amend it slightly if I may: "never Coca-cola another man's whisky". i.e. if I was to take your view that everything is just about respecting personal preference then I couldn't say that sticking Coke in with a 40-year old single malt was a waste.
It would be down to the personal preference of the drinker.
It would also ruin the whisky.
The two are not mutually exclusive.

16 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

With the unspoken thought added to you comment , as a FTFY ,

the original ( according to ba and sgt wilson ) rambling  pish stands.

or is holding a contrary opinion just not acceptable ? 

You take rambling to a new level.

People not knowing what to order.

If I know I'm going to a restaurant I'll take a look online and see what the menu is like.  Identify a few starters and mains that I like the look of and then see what I fancy on the day. Makes it a lot quicker and easier and means I can chat away with folk knowing I'm not holding anybody up.

Others though seem to forget that they are even going out for a meal and will then sit chatting away to the other people at the table and not reading the menu.  The waiter comes over and "oh can you give us a couple of minutes" is uttered.  Then I get the "oh I'm not sure what I should have" line as if I'm able to tell if my wife wants to have the salmon or the chicken.

Maybe this should be in the infuriating thing your partners do thread :lol: 

There's a nice wee restaurant in Fife (there is, honestly) and every time I go in the owner still moans at me for burning one of his table cloths when you could still smoke in there. Also, there used to be a restaurant in St Andrews that had a toy train that went around the place high up. It could be derailed with a well-aimed baked potato. On a works night out a couple of staff got felled by some space cakes a Dutch colleague had made us all. This big girl passed out on the floor near the kitchen and the waiting staff had to step over her with all their plates, trays etc. I've been a terrible c**t in restaurants. 

6 minutes ago, Deontay WildPar said:

There's a nice wee restaurant in Fife (there is, honestly) and every time I go in the owner still moans at me for burning one of his table cloths when you could still smoke in there. Also, there used to be a restaurant in St Andrews that had a toy train that went around the place high up. It could be derailed with a well-aimed baked potato. On a works night out a couple of staff got felled by some space cakes a Dutch colleague had made us all. This big girl passed out on the floor near the kitchen and the waiting staff had to step over her with all their plates, trays etc. I've been a terrible c**t in restaurants. 

^^^

2018-12-24-10-04-23-1102900311.jpeg

Archived