C***s in restaurants

Romeo

Would have to agree about the Greeks. Been to Kalamaki a few times in the last decade and if you go back to the same place a few times then they usually give you some free wine, a round of drinks or desserts. One time we were there with the in laws and their friends, one restaurant sent cars to pick us up from the hotel, gave us wine, tried to give us most of the tip back as they felt it was too much, then ran us back to the hotel again.

Guid c***s in restaurants for this pish

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are you saying my friend was right, that Italian waiters don't expect a large tip, even from foreign tourists?[emoji848]
Yep, Americans will often leave large tips but then a lot of them only go to the likes of Hard Rock Cafe or proper tourist haunts where there may be an expectation of tipping since they get a lot of (relatively) big spending American tourists. Regular restaurants, taxis, etc outside the tourist traps of Rome, Venice and perhaps Florence don't have that expectation. There is the whole "one price to sit at the bar, one price to sit at a table" thing that can confuse folk but remember than most Italian restaurants will charge a token one or two euro "coperto" (cover charge) which is almost like a replacement for the tip at the end, unless you have had exceptional service. Even rounding up or adding a Euro or two will be seen as a big deal and probably see you with a Limoncello or Grappa "on the house" as you pay your bill.

8 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
2 hours ago, mike rankine said:

So are you saying my friend was right, that Italian waiters don't expect a large tip, even from foreign tourists?emoji848.png

Yep, Americans will often leave large tips but then a lot of them only go to the likes of Hard Rock Cafe or proper tourist haunts where there may be an expectation of tipping since they get a lot of (relatively) big spending American tourists. Regular restaurants, taxis, etc outside the tourist traps of Rome, Venice and perhaps Florence don't have that expectation. There is the whole "one price to sit at the bar, one price to sit at a table" thing that can confuse folk but remember than most Italian restaurants will charge a token one or two euro "coperto" (cover charge) which is almost like a replacement for the tip at the end, unless you have had exceptional service. Even rounding up or adding a Euro or two will be seen as a big deal and probably see you with a Limoncello or Grappa "on the house" as you pay your bill.

My trick in Rome was to pay for a coffee or drink at the bar, go to light up a cigarette and be told I'd have to go outside, then sit at a table on the terrace thus avoiding the surcharge. I'm very mean though.

On 23/12/2018 at 15:44, Stellaboz said:

Don't tip via card. Especially in a hotel, the waiter or waitress will get f**k all of it, give them cash if they deserve it.

Also, I never tip for anything except great service, which in Germany never happens. The order is always fucking wrong, or late, or met with disdain. If you can't be polite taking an order, f**k off. I'm always polite to service staff having been one for a while, it should be excepted to receive it.

Isnt that just Germans though?

Whenever I'm in Germany I've found the service to be fine. Staff can be quite sharp and don't generally indulge in small talk but I've found them to be pleasant enough and generally helpful. They're just very much to the point.

The American way of tipping is supposed to encourage good service, but unfortunately what they consider good service ends up feeling intrusive and creepy to Europeans...can remember a waiter in New York who was seemingly over at us interrupting our conversation every second bite to ask us if we needed anything. We ended up telling him as things stood he was getting a tip, but it was going to get less every time he came over subsequently.

Some chance their arm as well...I ordered two beers one time - value six or seven dollars - at a bar somewhere outside Washington and paid with a fifty. After about ten minutes I realised the barman hadn't come back with my change, so I shouted him over:

"Sorry sir - wasn't that a tip?"

I don't know how much he understood of my response, but he clearly got the salient points. which went along the lines of "700% tip for popping two fucking bottle caps, ya chancing c**t?"

1 minute ago, Hampden Diehard said:
7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:
I never tip.
But that's because I never go to restaurants 

It's a c**t being in jail for Christmas.

Sorry to hear that. Hope they're treating you well.

Anyway, I don't go to restaurants because I don't have anyone to go with.

7 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:
42 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:
Sorry to hear that. Hope they're treating you well.
Anyway, I don't go to restaurants because I don't have anyone to go with.

Be nice and that might change.

Are you coming on to me?

People who canny get their dumb feckin weans to sit on their arses and eat their dinner in a restaurant  are c**ts of the highest order. Usually said weans have a  stupid madeup name, so we have to listen to Kaden getting told to stay the f**k away from the xmas tree, main door etc etc. about twenty times.

8 hours ago, Mr Pikey said:

People who canny get their dumb feckin weans to sit on their arses and eat their dinner in a restaurant  are c**ts of the highest order. Usually said weans have a  stupid madeup name, so we have to listen to Kaden getting told to stay the f**k away from the xmas tree, main door etc etc. about twenty times.

Yep, if you can't control your kids in public then don't fucking take them anywhere.  

Pizza Hut in Inverness is bad for it; some fat whale who probably has a season ticket for the place is there with her 7 kids and she can't control one of them, let alone 7.

48 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, if you can't control your kids in public then don't fucking take them anywhere.  

Pizza Hut in Inverness is bad for it; some fat whale who probably has a season ticket for the place is there with her 7 kids and she can't control one of them, let alone 7.

You've only got yourself to blame for going to Pizza Hut.

Archived