C***s in restaurants

Romeo

4 minutes ago, milton75 said:

Forget about what it is "to you". You are wrong.

I don't agree.

If, for example, i have to leave my table to place the order myself, person A brings it over, person B brings me the bill and Person C comes and collects payment, who am I tipping, and why?

That's no different to the process in a fast food restaurant, and i'm pretty certain you aren't going to tell me I should tip there.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Correct I would love to be in the situation were we didn’t need to tip because we all have more than enough money and time away from work, until we are there I will and it sounds like you will tip as well. 

Spot on. I've worked in service before and I got a shite wage and I was very lucky that some nice people tipped me well every now and then. 

Nowadays I earn more than I probably should, but even though one of my favourite things in the world is going out for food, having two young kids means that we do it all too rarely. When we do go out, the only thing that would stop me tipping is if something truly horrible happened. People bitch about service staff, but nearly all the time I find that folk are lovely to me and thoroughly deserve being tipped. Also, folk need to remember that there are a bunch of KPs, chefs, cleaners, etc. who should* get a cut of the tips that you don't see.

I have 2 rules on this:
1) always tip cash. I'm told this doesn't always matter so much now as more places split the tips from cards too, but I often ask if that's the case, and until everyone tells me otherwise, I prefer to pay on card but tip in cash. This also avoids any awkward thing where staff stress about whether you expect change from the tip.
2) people going on about 10% stress me out. It's been at least 12.5% since the mid 90s ffs. If I have a lovely meal I tip anywhere between 15% and 20%. I'm not trying to be a f-ing saint, and I'm certainly no big shot, but I don't often get out, I love it when I do, and the difference is going to be a fiver here or there.
Ask yourselves: do you notice a fiver in an evening where you're buying wine etc.? No.
But: I promise you, the person serving you really does notice if a few people in the evening give a little more. It's the right thing to do, so do it. You will feel better for it.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't agree.

If, for example, i have to leave my table to place the order myself, person A brings it over, person B brings me the bill and Person C comes and collects payment, who am I tipping, and why?

That's no different to the process in a fast food restaurant, and i'm pretty certain you aren't going to tell me I should tip there.

It's not about what you or I think. You know what society thinks.

Hairdressers, taxis, restaurants, delivery folk. etc.

You can disagree, but you're pissing in the wind. Be nice instead.

Just now, milton75 said:

You know what society thinks

I personally couldn't care less what society thinks. I'm not an employer - the obligation to pay a worker doesn't fall on me.

I'll continue to tip based on the quality of service received. If that's ok with you, of course.

28 minutes ago, milton75 said:

Spot on. I've worked in service before and I got a shite wage and I was very lucky that some nice people tipped me well every now and then. 

Nowadays I earn more than I probably should, but even though one of my favourite things in the world is going out for food, having two young kids means that we do it all too rarely. When we do go out, the only thing that would stop me tipping is if something truly horrible happened. People bitch about service staff, but nearly all the time I find that folk are lovely to me and thoroughly deserve being tipped. Also, folk need to remember that there are a bunch of KPs, chefs, cleaners, etc. who should* get a cut of the tips that you don't see.

I have 2 rules on this:
1) always tip cash. I'm told this doesn't always matter so much now as more places split the tips from cards too, but I often ask if that's the case, and until everyone tells me otherwise, I prefer to pay on card but tip in cash. This also avoids any awkward thing where staff stress about whether you expect change from the tip.
2) people going on about 10% stress me out. It's been at least 12.5% since the mid 90s ffs. If I have a lovely meal I tip anywhere between 15% and 20%. I'm not trying to be a f-ing saint, and I'm certainly no big shot, but I don't often get out, I love it when I do, and the difference is going to be a fiver here or there.
Ask yourselves: do you notice a fiver in an evening where you're buying wine etc.? No.
But: I promise you, the person serving you really does notice if a few people in the evening give a little more. It's the right thing to do, so do it. You will feel better for it.

This gives you a whole different view on things. I really enjoyed working in catering for the 5 years I spent there but I knew when to move on and was lucky enough to do so, I would recommend it to anyone as it gives you so many skills that are essential to life but urge them to have an end game. Merry Christmas!

56 minutes ago, milton75 said:

I've worked in service before

25 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

This gives you a whole different view on things. 

I think that if everyone had to work in a service industry at some point in their lives, waiting tables, retail, call centre or something similar, the world would be a much better place. In my experience, those who've done so tend to have a much better attitude towards the people at the bottom of life's shitheap.

5 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Also, ordering a steak and extra drinks and expecting to get the bill split evenly is terrible behaviour. I’d be mortified if someone was paying substantially more in a restaurant because I’m having a banquet.

I order steak or something subject to a price supplement sometimes, and the easiest thing is just to make the point of always saying that you're chucking in x amount more when the time comes to split the bill. Sometimes people tell you to f-ck off, and that they're splitting it equally, sometimes not, but it's only fair to offer and expect to pay it. If you chuck the cash in sharpish people don't have a chance to argue and you don't run the risk of getting a reputation as a wide-o.

I suppose it comes down in part to knowing the crowd you're with on the night. If you're all in a similar age & wage situation it probably doesn't matter - I certainly wouldn't care if one of my mates had nice brandy/whisky/cocktail etc. at the end of the meal. I know they'll happily pay whatever's needed, and that what goes around comes around anyway. 
If, on the other hand, I was with people I didn't know and they had a cheap meal, it would be total arseholey of me to split the bill equally with them. Why should they cough up extra for me?
How far could we take this: e.g. if someone brought their 2 kids with them and there was 6 people in total at the table would we still say the bill was being split equally and that they were therefore paying half of it? Depending on their age the kids probably got half portions and were on fizzy drinks, all of which would be cheap.

The basic rule should really just be Don't Act Like A C*nt.

I tip in restaurants, 10% for average service 20% for very good, however if the food is shite and the service is shite then I think its reasonable enough to not tip, if the staff make a mistake and happily rectify it then no damage to the tip, if they don’t then no tip.
I tip my hairdresser and bar staff. Dont tip my postie because he’s shite. Actually tried to tip staff in krispy kreme after I got really good service one day (they gave me one of the krispy kreme mugs because they’d run out of the ones they sell) and the staff member said they’d actually get in bother for accepting a tip?

That’s par for the course in 99% of places in London. When I first moved down I made the mistake of double tipping a few times because of it until I learned.
I was in Budapest last year and several restaurants had (I think) 10% added for service. Every time, the waiter pointed this out when they handed over the bill, which is decent.

I was in Budapest last year and several restaurants had (I think) 10% added for service. Every time, the waiter pointed this out when they handed over the bill, which is decent.

They surely have to point it out, whether it be on the bill, or menu or whatever.

You can’t just charge an added 10% without even communicating it?

I'm old enough to remember when it was the custom to tip the postie, paper boy / girl and the binnies (usually a few cans).

As for tipping fast food delivery drivers, it's quite common for them to get petrol money and little else, so tips are largely what they earn.

No, we shouldn't be expected to subsidise shite pay and miserable bosses, but how do you think that a guy zips in with a pizza that only costs £8? If it cost a tenner, the delivery would be paid from that.

2 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I'm old enough to remember when it was the custom to tip the postie, paper boy / girl and the binnies (usually a few cans).

I still leave a crate of beer on top of the bin at Xmas 

43 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

I still leave a crate of beer on top of the bin at Xmas 

When do you put it out? Our bin men come about 7am  so I usually leave a note to ring the doorbell and give them a tenner in my dressing gown and go back to bed. Doubt a crate of beer would still be there for them if I left it overnight. Used to give the postie the same but we don't have a regular one anymore and it's not the same with some random student turning up for a couple of shifts over Christmas. Last regular postman's catchphrase when he  saw the Clachnacuddin scarf in the hallway was "Always Clach, f**k the Caley.", so he got a card as well. :lol:

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

They surely have to point it out, whether it be on the bill, or menu or whatever.

You can’t just charge an added 10% without even communicating it?

It has to be on the bill but I don’t really tend to study the bill unless it seems like a wildly out of proportion total amount. 

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

When do you put it out? Our bin men come about 7am  so I usually leave a note to ring the doorbell and give them a tenner in my dressing gown and go back to bed. Doubt a crate of beer would still be there for them if I left it overnight. Used to give the postie the same but we don't have a regular one anymore and it's not the same with some random student turning up for a couple of shifts over Christmas. Last regular postman's catchphrase when he  saw the Clachnacuddin scarf in the hallway was "Always Clach, f**k the Caley.", so he got a card as well. :lol:

They come at 8.15am to us, so I’m up and put it out a few minutes before they’re due. I wouldn’t put it out overnight with the sticky fingered c***s round here neither :lol:

Archived