The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I’m a wee bit surprised at McCabe/Fordyce confirming they’re planning to rest players - I’d expected us to start with a pretty “normal” team and make changes after an hour or so. We’ve blown so hot and cold this season that a heavy-ish defeat could knock us a bit again. We’ve never beaten Edinburgh and they’ve more than had our number this season, but 3 draws is the sum total of our last 9 games vs QoS too, and those are 2 monkeys we can get off our backs going into the playoffs. 

That said, in the last couple of seasons we’ve ended up heavily reliant on squad players with relatively little game time when it really matters. Dean Ritchie playing vs Cove 2 years back sticks out, Jack McKay scoring in the first leg of that match too. Last season Afolabi scored and assisted in that Montrose game, so getting game time into the guys around the edges is sensible. 

I’ve a gut feeling Salim has a role to play. For a guy who’s not really played much in the 2 years he’s been with us, he’s been involved in some big moments at key times. 

5 hours ago, Sage Monkey said:

Seems sensible to me. I also wouldn't mind seeing Byrd play alongside McCabe at the back, with Rhys using his experience to guide Lachie through the match.

I don't think it matters whether we finish 3rd or 4th, in either case we are likely to need to beat both Falkirk and whoever finishes 9th in the Championship. We have played Falkirk twice in recent weeks, getting outplayed and deservedly beaten at home, but then playing vastly better at their ground, only getting a draw down to a late goal.. 

I feel that at our best we are capable of getting promotion, however, I fear that in at least one of the four games required we will not turn up, and that will cost us.

You could say the same about us. We were on a wretched run of form since we beat Ayr in the cup. I don't see us going all the way through the playoffs playing great stuff. We have that we will not turn up game in us aswell. Without looking too far ahead I just hope it's not tomorrow. 

11 hours ago, Airdrie101 said:

Diamond from a far here.  I see we stepped up the youth set up and I keep seeing updates of them winning the league, or a big win, anyone know if these boys could make it big, or if it has been a success so far.  

Its certainly been a success for their first year and they are clearly better than this level so it's hard to say how good they actually are. A couple of them played in the group stages of the League Cup earlier in the season.

Edited by Sarahs Uncle

Expecting something like this today

Hutton

Watson Byrd McCabe Deveney

Stanway Telfer Devenny

McGregor Salim Dixon

Squad isn’t big enough to rest every starter so realistically I think one of Watson or Ballantyne will have to play.  Think McMaster and Frizz are the two midfielders most likely to be rested so that leaves those three to play. Our usual front 3 should all be able to be rested.

Would be nice to see some academy boys make the bench and get some game time but they did play yesterday so can’t see them getting much game time, unless certain players were purposely not played or subbed off in order to give them some first team minutes today.

10 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Expecting something like this today

Hutton

Watson Byrd McCabe Deveney

Stanway Telfer Devenny

McGregor Salim Dixon

Squad isn’t big enough to rest every starter so realistically I think one of Watson or Ballantyne will have to play.  Think McMaster and Frizz are the two midfielders most likely to be rested so that leaves those three to play. Our usual front 3 should all be able to be rested.

Would be nice to see some academy boys make the bench and get some game time but they did play yesterday so can’t see them getting much game time, unless certain players were purposely not played or subbed off in order to give them some first team minutes today.

Would be sensible to rotate Watson and Ballantyne, 45 minutes each or 60/30. I'd be pretty happy with that team although it might be a good idea for McCabe to be on the sidelines as he'll get a better view of who's impressing him the most.

47 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Would be sensible to rotate Watson and Ballantyne, 45 minutes each or 60/30. I'd be pretty happy with that team although it might be a good idea for McCabe to be on the sidelines as he'll get a better view of who's impressing him the most.

Problem with that is with ATS carrying a knock either McCabe or Fordyce will need to start you’d think, and it would make more sense to rest Fordyce than McCabe imo.

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Not so strong really ,would be nice to beat queens with full sqad ,

You failed to do that in the previous 3 attempts. Far better to rest players today for a meaningless game with the playoffs coming up. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds02 said:

I like him and i feel he has good potential but Euan Deveney's defending is comically bad at times.

It ceased to become comical the fourth time he stood away from the ball instead of going for a 50/50. 

For all Telfer got an assist I thought he was very poor, again, today. Wouldn’t have him near the XI in the play-offs to be honest.

Just now, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

It ceased to become comical the fourth time he stood away from the ball instead of going for a 50/50. 

For all Telfer got an assist I thought he was very poor, again, today. Wouldn’t have him near the XI in the play-offs to be honest.

Funny how you see games differently I thought Telfer was our most effective midfielder by far,   he does get over criticised it seems compared to others,  is that a fair assessment..

10 hours ago, David Fernández said:

I'm sure we'll be seeing many goal celebrations like this from the Prince when he's tearing it up in the first team in years to come.

Screenshot_20230429_092705_Facebook.jpg

Get him on the penalties next season after tucking one away smoothly last night! 

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

That was pretty rubbish today but not bothered really. Have to agree with your assessment. Thought Euan Deveney was the worst player on the park. In no man’s land for the first goal which was scored right at his back post, some poor mistakes and decision making on and off the ball and that’s probably generous calling some of those balls he never went for 50/50s. He’s improved over the course of the season, and I think he’s suffered from dropping out the team, but Ballantyne is by far the better player and based on today, and his brief cameo v Falkirk, I’d be pretty worried if we had to call upon him in the play-offs. 

I like Telfer but didn’t think he offered much today other than the cross for the goal. Which was a lovely cross admittedly. Too many players ghosting past him and McCabe obviously agreed as he was having a right go at him a couple of times. Although I think we have a bit of pot calling the kettle black there. We’ve struggled against Todd and Wilson this season and they’re both exactly the sort of midfielder we need. 

Don’t think any of the non-regulars staked a claim today but Salim did take his goal well and won his fair share in the air when he came on. He’ll never start a game in this team but if he can contribute off the bench in the play-offs and, hopefully, continue his habit of scoring late goals, that’d be absolutely fine. Big Byrd was probably the pick of the bunch in terms of the non-regulars. Not amazing by any means, but he did okay, nothing daft and won his headers. He has quite a nice pass on him but he’s still a bit hesitant and raw at times. Hard to read too much into that game though and I still wouldn’t want him appearing in the play-offs. 

Poor Joe Dixon still not getting on 😂 

Nice to see Andy Smith and congratulations to Gal and Gabby. Well deserved winners ♦️

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Funny how you see games differently I thought Telfer was our most effective midfielder by far,   he does get over criticised it seems compared to others,  is that a fair assessment..

He was rotten. Too often tried to be overly clever with the ball when there was an easier option. More than happy for him to resume his role on the bench and not to darken our doorstep again after the summer.

Also noted today how much more progressive McMaster is over McCabe. McCabe would take the ball off Fordyce/Byrd, move forward a few passes shaping up for a Hollywood pass, decide it’s not on then go backwards again. McMaster receives possession and more often than not finds a simple pass with another midfielder to move the team forward.

Fair enough McMaster also made a few mistakes in the second half but he is a big proponent of the success a midfield three of McMaster, Devenny and Frizzell has been over the last month or two.