The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

5 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Listening back to Rhys post match interview from yesterday.  Saying that he'd been in touch with Jamieson a few weeks back to discuss his contract situation. Looks like he was wanting to bring him in for next season although I've no clue if he has a deal at Kelty which takes him beyond this season past anyway. I was certain I'd seen a post from either the club or from Josh Rae earlier this season about him extending his deal for another year due to the club paying for his surgery but I'm buggered if I can find it now. Can only think that Rhys now fancies the idea of having a good quality challenger/backup for Josh going into the new season.

Jamieson has already been confirmed as leaving Kelty

The Rae extension for surgery thing was posted on here an ITK thing. As far as I know neither party has confirmed it.

4 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

I was certain I'd seen a post from either the club or from Josh Rae earlier this season about him extending his deal for another year due to the club paying for his surgery 

This seems to be the general consensus.

Train of thought that after 6 months on the sidelines & two red cards (one of which in the biggest match of the season) that he doesn’t merit that extra year, albeit that our best form has coincided with his longest run of appearances.

Jamieson looked assured yesterday and had a huge smile on his face at full time. I’d be more than happy having him involved in the squad in some capacity.

24 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Jamieson has already been confirmed as leaving Kelty

The Rae extension for surgery thing was posted on here an ITK thing. As far as I know neither party has confirmed it.

Thanks on both points. I certainly posted on here about it before but it wasn't an itk thing it was based upon my memory of seeing either the player or club mention it. Maybe someone else was itk and that's what I've seen. 

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Agreed. And agreed.

I’ve definitely my got nothing against Airdrie and definitely agree it’s a bad rule, so seconded by me. Does that mean we get a vote now?

For what it’s worth, I don’t think it should be allowed during regular season either if you’ve got a fit, signed keeper.

36 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

Whatever happens in the next seven days, remind me why they’re not in the final despite winning on crosses and corners.

The only stat we beat them on was fouls, so excluding the fact that our percentage shots on target and conversion to goals was better, they absolutely hammered us 🤣

Screenshot_20230514-103412.png

The game couldn't have gone any better than I imagined it would. I said to those around me at the game 'if we get to half time 0-0 or 1-0 in I'll be delighted'.

Everyone worked their socks off yesterday, McCabe absolutely done his homework on McGlynn and he had no answers. I was honestly surprised how little Falkirk offered, it was pathetic, talk about going out with a whimper eh!! 

Brilliant backing from the support yesterday and loved the celebrations from the players, McGill running over to the stand after his goal and the gaffer celebrating with his Dad at the end of the game.

As for the goalkeeping situation, Airdrie could've played with no goalkeeper yesterday and still would've got through to the final.

Hopefully we can get the job done and get over the line.

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Train of thought that after 6 months on the sidelines & two red cards (one of which in the biggest match of the season) that he doesn’t merit that extra year, albeit that our best form has coincided with his longest run of appearances.

Jamieson looked assured yesterday and had a huge smile on his face at full time. I’d be more than happy having him involved in the squad in some capacity.

I think Rae is a very good keeper but nobody better than us wanted him last summer after a seemingly good season at Queen of the South. I’m not sure spending half a season injured and then getting sent off twice will do enough for a bigger club to come in for him just yet.

Likewise, I’d be delighted to have Jamieson in. He’s been a very solid lower league keeper for years now and seems like a good, experienced professional. As you say, he seemed to enjoy yesterday almost as much as us!

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

After the goalkeepers we've had this season I find that astonishing.

Let's just release Cammy Ballantyne from his contract as well if red cards are how we gauge players.

5 minutes ago, Mr November said:

think Rae is a very good keeper but nobody better than us wanted him last summer after a seemingly good season at Queen of the South

I'm not sure this is entirely true as I believe a family illness played a part in him signing with us.

Josh is 22 and keeping him for next season would be a massive coup for us as in my mind he's on the upward trajectory.  Jamieson did well yesterday and looked competent on the little he had to do butd could be an able back up or replacement for Josh.

9 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Let's just release Cammy Ballantyne from his contract as well if red cards are how we gauge players.

I'm not sure this is entirely true as I believe a family illness played a part in him signing with us.

Josh is 22 and keeping him for next season would be a massive coup for us as in my mind he's on the upward trajectory.  Jamieson did well yesterday and looked competent on the little he had to do butd could be an able back up or replacement for Josh.

Fair enough, I know he was linked with Carlisle for a while and that seemingly fell through. I thought I’d read that was more on their end but that might explain it.

As much Rae’s two red cards (should’ve been 3 as he should’ve walked in the 4-3 loss to Dunfermline before eventually getting sent off the following week at East End Park) have been frustrating and possibly show some poor decision making from him, I think he’s the best keeper we’ve had in years by a distance. Would be massive to keep him for next season imo.

Can’t blame him for the bad injury and hopefully it was just a one time thing and nothing recurring.

2 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Seriously? The injury is hardly his fault. I said midweek I thought the red card was partly his fault, and rushing out and being caught is something he needs to work on. But overall he's been excellent and is as good a keeper as we'd possibly get at this level. He will only get better too.

Anyone who has watched us suffer Max Currie for 2 years and then guys like Henderson and Lyness this season who then says we shouldn't offer Rae another year must be watching a different sport to me.

1 hour ago, Sub Parr said:

I’ve definitely my got nothing against Airdrie and definitely agree it’s a bad rule, so seconded by me. Does that mean we get a vote now?

For what it’s worth, I don’t think it should be allowed during regular season either if you’ve got a fit, signed keeper.

The problem is who defines 'fit'? Answer - the club/player. Therefore if the club was told they couldn't get a loan because we had a fit player the club could/would just claim that player is ill/injured too, and then they'd have to be allowed someone.

It does seem wrong somehow to just bring someone in like we did, but I cannot see any way you can stop it.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Josh Rae was the best keeper in League 1 this season (Dabrowski would be up there too) but didn't play enough games to figure in end of season consideration, plus Mehmet did a perfectly serviceable job behind the best defence. If Airdrie want rid of him I'm sure we'd merrily take him back!

I'm not sure whether Carlisle fell through independently or if the family situation played a part. He certainly left us thinking he was going to England though. Had that not been expected I'm sure he'd still be here. He's a great lad and they are a lovely family. Wish him the very best of luck. I think he's better than this level of football though if he stays fit.

30 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The problem is who defines 'fit'? Answer - the club/player. Therefore if the club was told they couldn't get a loan because we had a fit player the club could/would just claim that player is ill/injured too, and then they'd have to be allowed someone.

It does seem wrong somehow to just bring someone in like we did, but I cannot see any way you can stop it.

The answer is actually the Club Doctor or other suitably qualified MD. You might be right of course, but Doctors are a lot less likely to risk their professional reputation on a lie than the player or a random club employee.

You hit the nail on the head though. You either allow emergency loans in such situations or you don't. If you're going to allow them then I don't really see any practical way of preventing what happened yesterday. It "seems wrong" because you didn't bring in a spare keeper from elsewhere, you brought in an equivalent level 1st choice keeper. Because the playoffs extend your season there are a lot more keepers available. At the end of the day the alternative is really only to ban emergency loans in the playoffs. Nothing surer than the minute they do that someone ends up playing an outfield player in goal in a crucial game as a result!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

52 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Josh Rae was the best keeper in League 1 this season (Dabrowski would be up there too) but didn't play enough games to figure in end of season consideration, plus Mehmet did a perfectly serviceable job behind the best defence.

I would agree with this. Fair to say both Airdrie and Queens improved massively when they were able to play much better keepers. My earlier post possibly sounded a lot harsher on Rae than I intended to be fair, as I do think he’s the best keeper we’ve had for ages and would be a huge loss if he was to leave in the summer.

Easy days 😎🍺♦️

I think in reality the tie was over at half-time on Tuesday night. It was only our memories of play-offs past that put any sort of doubt on the outcome 😂 but well done to McCabe and the players for a professional performance that nullified Falkirk and saw out the victory with ease. McCabe, Ballantyne and Fordyce were all excellent once again. Jamieson too dealt with everything (limply) thrown at him with ease. His saves in the first-half that tipped the ball past the post and the second-half one he tipped over the crossbar were particularly good, although nothing you wouldn’t expect a half-decent goalie not to make. It IS a bit of a nonsense that we can sign a player like that when Hutton and Melrose are available. But it’s funny and screws over Falkirk so fair enough IMO. I’d be more than happy to have him and Rae as our goalkeepers next season, if that is what McCabe was alluding to. Also enjoyed his celebrations when we scored and him geeing the fans up. Likewise Hutton going for it when celebrating with the fans at the end. 

For all Falkirk had to go for it, they really… didn’t. A pathetic effort considering they had to score 4 to even equal the tie. Falkirk fans rightly fizzing. We could have just played Hutton, Melrose, Liam Prunty or Bryan Prunty in goals and it wouldn’t have mattered. 

Not looking forward to having to put myself through at least another 180 minutes of play-off football but hopefully we finally get the job done this time. A grand day out in Falkirk (the Wheatsheaf is a cracking pub btw) in the sunshine. Hopefully the same in Hamilton next Saturday 🍺♦️

Edited by airdrieman

1 hour ago, AirdrieFanTV said:

This forum is getting ridiculous, can't believe that the latest episode from the excellent AFTV has been posted over 1 hour ago and there are no comments on Gabby's maw!

As the dust settles on our victory over Falkirk, and before our play-off final against the Accies, just sharing some thoughts. I'll try to minimise restating what other posters have already said.

Firstly, that was two games of near perfect football. The first half of the first leg was one of the best, if not the best, I have seen Airdrie play (I'm old and have been a fan since 1971). The key here was the (supposed) quality of the opposition and the importance of the game and we blew them apart. The first leg second half we showed great resilience after losing two goals and the sending off and you could see it in the players that when Allan was red carded they looked like they wanted to and could score again, which of course they did. Yesterday was an absolute master class of protecting the four goal lead from the first leg. Falkirk were absolutely dreadful, but credit has to go to Airdrie for giving them so few options to hurt us.

My second point, which is completely uncontroversial, is what an amazing job McCabe has done. In his first year as a manager, at 30 years of age and still playing to have got us to the play-offs and then play like is absolutely remarkable. The thing for me, as picked up by others, is how Rhys has evolved through learning from setbacks earlier in the season (Dunfermline, Edinburgh etc).

Finally, I think the club should be given a lot of credit too, and not just for putting their faith in Rhys. If there is unhappiness behind the scenes it usually manifests on the pitch and that is clearly not the case with Airdrie at the moment. I know PH isn't always popular because of his (lack of) communication, but that's not really a problem when things are going well. I also think Ian Murray planted the seeds over his five years here in getting the players to play as a unit, which Rhys has built on and improved. Also, Murray brought McCabe to the club and I suspect suggested that he should be given a shot as the manager.

Anyway, on to Wednesday to see what that brings. It's going to be an interesting test aganst a team we have played in a while...