The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

On 13/05/2023 at 20:08, Artemis said:

The rule says the loan is for a period of “not more than 7 days”. Is it possible the Board approved it for enough time to cover today’s game but not any longer? Or do they always just approve it for 7 days regardless?

On 13/05/2023 at 20:13, Skyline Drifter said:

Anything's possible of course. Only Airdrie and the SPFL will know at this point. The process would by automatic default be a 7 day loan but its conceivable all parties agreed in advance he wouldnt be used on Tuesday.

So he was indeed eligible today despite Rae's return. Sat on the bench. Wont be available for 2nd leg.

On 15/05/2023 at 00:43, Grant228 said:

On your last sentence, being likeable, and more known can also help? In that instance Gallagher will be far more known to allot of the league one sides than many of the Dunfermline ones. 

It should have been Bene, but I'm sure he'll be content with the league winner medal, Gallagher has had a fine season and scored the goal of the season. 

If it's any consolation the League 1 POTY for 2023 voted for Benedictus.

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

So he was indeed eligible today despite Rae's return. Sat on the bench. Wont be available for 2nd leg.

Can he be brought back in for Saturday as Rae is suspended I believe?

11 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Can he be brought back in for Saturday as Rae is suspended I believe?

I'm going to say yes. 

We had Peter Urminsky do a couple of 7 day loans in the covid season.

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Why is he suspended?

He could be brought back in if he was suspended but he's not suspended.

Sorry have picked up the wrong end of the stick from an earlier post.

Carry on folks 😂

10 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Didn't think we were at our best tonight but it didn't surprise me in the slightest how close and cagey a game it would be. Hamilton edged the first half, I thought they were well organised, kept their shape well and limited us to few chances. Going forward making a few poor decisions with passed and final balls. 

In the second half I think we kept our shape very well and i can't fault the players efforts, goal came from a poor defensive error but an excellent finish from Smithy. The tie us still 50/50, even with a goal advantage, delighted to get it, but Saturday will be a really hard game.

That was completely stupid from Janny, there's no need for that, too many times we've made silly defensive errors, either clear the ball or show him down the line.

Saturday is massive, everyone right behind the team and let's get over the line ♦️

Aye stupid tackle from Watson , certainty be missed had a good game up till then, some of his blocks were really good,Control and finding our man was a problem in first half ,McGill,gall and deveney were struggling although they put in a good shift ,

2 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye stupid tackle from Watson , certainty be missed had a good game up till then, some of his blocks were really good,Control and finding our man was a problem in first half ,McGill,gall and deveney were struggling although they put in a good shift ,

I can’t see the foul. Looked soft at the time and on the replays ‘soft’ is an understatement.

14 minutes ago, Sub Parr said:

I can’t see the foul. Looked soft at the time and on the replays ‘soft’ is an understatement.

Just watched again ,no way a yellow if it was a foul at all ,can we not put in a protest shocking decision .

11 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Just watched again ,no way a yellow if it was a foul at all ,can we not put in a protest shocking decision .

Yeah watching it back it’s not a yellow and Smith goes down very easily but Watson should know better. Smith went down very easily all game and the referee bought it every time, Watson didn’t need to put his arms out and give the referee an easy decision. I don’t think we can appeal it unfortunately since it was a second yellow.

It's one of those where there probably isn't any real infringement, but as soon as a guy is away from you and you pull his shoulder (however slightly) and he goes down it's going to be a foul and a booking. We saw Smith going down easily all game so it's daft to give him the chance to do it again. Watson has been excellent in recent weeks but it was silly defending and I can see why McCabe was annoyed.

Cammy B moving to right back will hopefully mean he does a job on Connor Smith, who looks their real danger. They certainly seemed much less dangerous down the other side, so Cammy going over ought not to be a disaster. I'd be for the least disruption possible, myself, so would just put Euan D to left back. 

There's no perfect solution, no option that doesn't have cons, because we now cant play our first choice back four, but hey ho. Minimal disruption to a defence that has been doing well, Cammy Ballantyne on the right up against their key danger man and Euan D is capable of good games, he's done a job there in many games this season. Not ideal as he hasn't played much of late, but like I said, there is no ideal solution. 

2 wins out of 2 in Hamilton this season, so hopefully we keep that going. Get out and at them early. Get a goal and that could do it.  

By my count, we're now on 98 goals over the league, cups and playoffs. Sensational. Would be amazing to get to the hunner

Edited by AndyDD

22 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

2 wins out of 2 in Hamilton this season, so hopefully we keep that going. Get out and at them early. Get a goal and that could do it.  

Can’t understate this enough, truly believe if we get an early goal then a comeback from Hamilton is HIGHLY unlikely.  As long as we keep 11 men on the pitch!  Got to be wise to their tactics, they know us losing players gives them a big advantage at home 

13 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Fair play to Telfer, a player I’d criticised earlier in the season for being too soft but he was throwing himself into challenges tonight. McCabe’s turned him into an animal.

Green dotted and very reluctantly agreed. If anyone calls me on this I'm putting it down to age and mental infirmity. Or drugs.

17 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Can’t understate this enough, truly believe if we get an early goal then a comeback from Hamilton is HIGHLY unlikely.  As long as we keep 11 men on the pitch!  Got to be wise to their tactics, they know us losing players gives them a big advantage at home 

We sat back against Falkirk which I understood because there was no way they were ever going to score 4 goals without reply against us playing in that manner. This Saturday is different as we could easily lose a goal from sitting back so we have to play it as a normal game and be on the front foot. If we get an early goal Hamilton need 3 to win outright which seems unlikely. We'll also have a large following and we need them onside which a fast start will do. Sitting back in a cagey game will make fans nervy.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

12 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

We sat back against Falkirk which I understood because there was no way they were ever going to score 4 goals without reply against us playing in that manner. This Saturday is different as we could easily lose a goal from sitting back so we have to play it as a normal game and be on the front foot. If we get an early goal Hamilton need 3 to win outright which seems unlikely. We'll also have a large following and we need them onside which a fast start will do. Sitting back in a cagey game will make fans nervy.

I think being away from home might help. It wasn’t as quiet as last year’s final but I thought our fans were a bit tense last night, which can happen in finals. After the fast start in the semi-final, I think were was some inherent expectation of something similar last night from some people, which was always unlikely happen. I feel like this team in particular can lose their way a bit when fans start to get frustrated, so it’s important we’re noisy and supportive.

41 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I think being away from home might help. It wasn’t as quiet as last year’s final but I thought our fans were a bit tense last night, which can happen in finals. After the fast start in the semi-final, I think were was some inherent expectation of something similar last night from some people, which was always unlikely happen. I feel like this team in particular can lose their way a bit when fans start to get frustrated, so it’s important we’re noisy and supportive.

I know, I was tense anyway! Was watching it through my fingers at times. 

Delighted to be going into Saturday with a lead. Accies were well organised, physical and able to snuff us out at times, in particular they marshalled Gal and Frizzell well. It was a good indicator of what we’ll need for next season if we do manage to get through. We’ve got a team of ballers but we do still need a bit more physical presence and a destroyer type in the midfield IMO. When we did manage to get the ball down and play though I thought we looked dangerous. Telfer was excellent when he came on. We were at our most composed and threatening when he was on the ball and, contrary to popular opinion, he added a bit of dig and control in the midfield. I wouldn’t mind if he started on Saturday. Devenny has had a better season overall but it looked like the occasion maybe got to him a bit, whereas Telfer’s experience meant he wasn’t overawed by the game itself. Fordyce, Ballantyne, McCabe and Smith were our other best performers. Brilliant finish from Smith and I think he enjoyed getting it up his brother and the Accies fans after he scored 😂 

Accies were probably better than a lot of folk thought they’d be. Must admit, I died a little inside every time someone would post on social media we were gonna win 3 or 4-0. Just stop! Was always going to be a completely different game. That being said, while they had a lot of territory and possession, they never really looked like scoring, other than maybe Connor Smith’s chance early in the first-half, which is hopefully an encouraging sign. An early Airdrie goal on Saturday SHOULD be enough to win it you would hope… 

Watson missing out is a blow. I’m not as big on him as others, but we can’t replace him without shifting around players which isn’t ideal. As is missing his height and physical presence. I’m leaning towards ATS at left-back just because I trust all the players in that permutation - ATS, McCabe, Ballantyne and McMaster - to do a job in whatever position more than I do Deveney but whatever he goes for, it’s not what you would choose going into a play-off final second-leg. Still got enough to get it done whatever McCabe goes for. 

Another great home crowd, and another win in front of them! That’s the first play-off final home leg we’ve won and maybe the first play-off final leg in general that we’ve won. I like where this trend is going! 

Praying we get the job done on Saturday. Hopefully in front of another cracking Airdrie support 🍺♦️. Nice to see Sandy Stewart before the game too ♦️

Edited by airdrieman