The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

7 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is widely known, but stumbled across it on Twitter this afternoon and it makes for fairly unpleasant reading.

Hope you get the job done against Accies. You lot are due a return to the big leagues after the past few seasons.

Horrific. He was always going to get released but hope that that happens as swiftly as possible. And even more so that the woman involved is okay and gets whatever verdict she feels is just. 

4 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Financially the play-offs must have been a big boost to the club. Across the 2 games that's around 6 thousand fans, say an average ticket price of £15 that's around £90k, plus hospitality etc. I know putting the games on involves a not insignificant cost, however that's still a big chunk extra which can hopefully go towards a competitive squad next season. Our prize money for the whole season is £104k, the receipts from these 2 games alone aren't far off matching that.

You know the SPFL keeps half the gate of all playoffs receipts in all the divisions?  
bit of a pain but they use it to fund the parachute payments 

5 hours ago, third lanark said:

You know the SPFL keeps half the gate of all playoffs receipts in all the divisions?  

Nice of the SPFL to let Alloa season tickets holders in for free then while every other team had to pay.

It's just extra home games everyone keeps their gate.

7 hours ago, third lanark said:

Are you sure? I know this is the case for Premiership play-offs but didn't think it was the case for Championship and League 1?

The lower league play-offs pre date the Premiership play-offs by quite a few years so it can't always have been the case. It would be absurd to expect a club like Annan to give up half their gate to help fund Dundee Utd or Kilmarnock when they get relegated.

28 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I see Darren Jamieson has signed for Stenhousemuir. 

Would have been surprised if he was going to come here and play back up to Josh. 

1 appearance 1 clean sheet....Airdrie legend 

13 hours ago, Elgindiamond said:

I read that the home club get 15% for expenses and any hospitality income. 50% goes to SPFL and remainder split between the two teams.

so 32.5% of the gate to the home team, 17.5% to the away team

Not a huge money spinner.

13 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Where did you read this? I know Premiership play-offs take a cut to fund parachute payments. Never heard of anything about lower league play-offs doing this though. Why is there a need to split the gates when there is a home and away leg?

9 hours ago, third lanark said:

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Are you sure? I know this is the case for Premiership play-offs but didn't think it was the case for Championship and League 1?

The lower league play-offs pre date the Premiership play-offs by quite a few years so it can't always have been the case. It would be absurd to expect a club like Annan to give up half their gate to help fund Dundee Utd or Kilmarnock when they get relegated.

3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Nice of the SPFL to let Alloa season tickets holders in for free then while every other team had to pay.

It's just extra home games everyone keeps their gate.

For clarity:

Premiership Playoffs - Gross gate has VAT deducted, then 15% for the home team and then 50% of the remainder for the SPFL to fund the parachute payment. Home team keeps the rest. So net proceeds are 57.5% Home Team and 42.5% SPFL. Nothing for Away Team. Season Tickets are not allowed. Minimum pricing applies (because Rangers took the huff when told they couldn't give it away to season ticket holders and charged everyone £5 - rules were changed the following year).

Championship and League 1 Playoffs - Gross gate has VAT deducted, Home Team keeps the rest. No SPFL involvement. Clubs can do as they wish with pricing and can allow season ticket holders in if they wish (as Alloa did and I think Abroath did in the past. No idea if others do. We certainly don't).

22 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Green dotted and very reluctantly agreed. If anyone calls me on this I'm putting it down to age and mental infirmity. Or drugs.

I thought that was one of his best games for us too. From what I’ve seen it’s a pretty low bar, but we’ve reached the play off final so that doesn’t really matter now. Could he put in an Afolabi-style playoff turnaround in the hearts and minds?

14 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Still on official site photo ,not good ,

Well, I’f he’s pleading not guilty, he’s innocent until proven otherwise.

Even if jury (?) find him not guilty however, from his own admissions in court I wouldn’t be happy to have him in the diamond again. Shame as his goals/min ratio must be pretty good, I’d h him to stick around as a late sub for Gal when we needed someone who could hold the ball up.

On 18/05/2023 at 09:40, Jack Reed said:

Just watched again ,no way a yellow if it was a foul at all ,can we not put in a protest shocking decision .

It was only one of many very poor decisions ref made involving smith. Not the best decision by Watson but I thought his actions were limited enough so as not to be a foul. But we take it on the chin and move on….

30 minutes ago, Sub Parr said:

Well, I’f he’s pleading not guilty, he’s innocent until proven otherwise.

Even if jury (?) find him not guilty however, from his own admissions in court I wouldn’t be happy to have him in the diamond again. Shame as his goals/min ratio must be pretty good, I’d h him to stick around as a late sub for Gal when we needed someone who could hold the ball up.

I'm sorry, but guilt or innocence is irrelevant here, what he has admitted to is utterly reprehensible.

He admits to entering a womans bedroom in the middle of the night without any invitation. He then admits to getting into bed with her, again without any invitation. Given that at this point he has made no physical contact, he may not have broken any law. However, he has gone a long, long way past what is morally acceptable. Anything further just makes things worse. An utter disgrace, don't want him playing for my team, ever again.

I’d imagine the club were already aware of this Salim situation to some extent, so the fact he’s been on the bench and played a couple of times isn’t great. Might be they didn’t actually know the full story or much of the details, but who knows. Whatever they’d know would be what Salim has told them. I do wonder if him being sent out on loan at the start of the season had anything to do with it, I remember at the time a lot of us were surprised since our squad was so light then.

If the club have been playing him with full knowledge of what was going on, then it’s very possible he’ll be on the bench on Saturday. I wouldn’t be happy about that at all, and judging by the other comments on here I think most of you would feel the same as me. Releasing him from his contract early is probably the right thing to do, but the very easy thing to do (and what I suspect the club might do) is to simply not select him on Saturday and release him at the end of his contract, which is obviously very soon. Whether or not that’s a cowardly way out, especially given that Salim has hardly played and would have been leaving the club shortly anyway, I don’t know.

I wish the woman involved all the best and hope she gets what she’s looking for and is able to move on as swiftly as possible from what would have been a horrible experience.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I’d imagine the club were already aware of this Salim situation to some extent, so the fact he’s been on the bench and played a couple of times isn’t great. Might be they didn’t actually know the full story or much of the details, but who knows. Whatever they’d know would be what Salim has told them. I do wonder if him being sent out on loan at the start of the season had anything to do with it, I remember at the time a lot of us were surprised since our squad was so light then.

If the club have been playing him with full knowledge of what was going on, then it’s very possible he’ll be on the bench on Saturday. I wouldn’t be happy about that at all, and judging by the other comments on here I think most of you would feel the same as me. Releasing him from his contract early is probably the right thing to do, but the very easy thing to do (and what I suspect the club might do) is to simply not select him on Saturday and release him at the end of his contract, which is obviously very soon. Whether or not that’s a cowardly way out, especially given that Salim has hardly played and would have been leaving the club shortly anyway, I don’t know.

I wish the woman involved all the best and hope she gets what she’s looking for and is able to move on as swiftly as possible from what would have been a horrible experience.

I genuinely don't think the club had full knowledge on this because i know for a fact the decision for him to go out on loan was purely to get him minutes after his acl injury, so he could come back fit and ready to help us for the run in. Which as you say would have been well after the incident.

Giving the club the benefit of the doubt for now and hope he doesn't appear in the squad tomorrow.

Feel like the club need to make a statement now and explain their situation, as they must have had some knowledge of this. I get that legally punting a player for an alleged crime, even one as bad as this, is probably a tricky route to go down but I’d expect a statement confirming that he’s been released with immediate effect, even if he is out of contract next month. I hope the woman is able to recover from what must be a horrible experience.