The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

17 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

One thing for sure our manager made the right substitutions the night ,what a impact they made ,

I don’t think his substitutions have always been the best, but tonight he got it 100%
We’ll done Reece McCabe, and well done to all the players whether used tonight or not. Over the season it’s been a hell of a show. Some times good, some times awful, sometimes woeful, sometimes fantastic. 

♦️

Just finished a promotion curry for the first time in so many years.

Yes it was tight and nervy as Hamilton edged ahead and it was a delight to see Gabby rescue the aggregate draw. 

Who could ever relax at a penalty shoot out but praise to all the scorers and the Rae save made it oh so sweet.

That opening day at Peterhead has been topped by leaving L1 at last.

Well done Rhys and the squad and the travelling support today. Now off to watch the highlights.

Roll on the Championship.

An incredible achievement. For a club with the worst play-off record and an awful penalty record, what a way to do it. Rhys McCabe deserves all the credit he’ll get. An incredible job to finally get us out of this league. 

I started supporting Airdrie in 2003 and we won the league in the first season. It’s been 19 years of mostly nonsense since then, so today feels fantastic. These days don’t come around too often at this level, I think fans of every other club posting in this thread will get just what it means.

Congratulations, well worthy of promotion. Second best team all season and although there was a couple of big defeats and moments where it looked like yous were gone you kept playing football and have got the correct outcome. 

Right, our mission is over, we’ve kept Falkirk down so no more being nice 🤪🤣

See you next season! 

I’ll no doubt bore everyone with a big post in the coming days but a quick shout out to Gabby McGill. Once again he’s popped up with a huge goal. The first thing I did when I ran on the park was hug him as he was bawling his eyes out. Him and his family seem like fantastic people. 

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:Who could ever relax at a penalty shoot out but praise to all the scorers and the Rae save made it oh so sweet.

That opening day at Peterhead has been topped by leaving L1 at last.

Well done Rhys and the squad and the travelling support today. Now off to watch the highlights.

Roll on the Championship.

Are there highlights available already? Where?

Many fans were unsure about the appointment of McCabe at the start of the season. Some have even slated it and him during the season. Today he proved it was the right move. He's done for our club in one season what several managers have failed to do for a long time. He deserves the plaudits as he's masterminded promotion. He has built a team made of skill and steel. They did it today. They deserve our respect. And next season, with improved knowledge and ability, who knows what we can achieve. ♦️

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I’ll no doubt bore everyone with a big post in the coming days but a quick shout out to Gabby McGill. Once again he’s popped up with a huge goal. The first thing I did when I ran on the park was hug him as he was bawling his eyes out. Him and his family seem like fantastic people. 

I know a couple of the players are staying on but I’m really hoping Gabby is with the team next season.  Tbh, without promotion, we could have seen a few leave.   Gabbys goal along with the huge balls on the penalty takers (Dyceys words!) means we’ve got a great chance to build on this squad 

Well done your lot. By far the best team, in individual games, I’ve seen in the league in the past 2 seasons. Would’ve been a bit of an injustice if you hadn’t managed to get up. 

Glad we won’t have to face you next year and gives me a glimmer of hope that we managed to finish off quite a few points ahead of you this year - maybe we’re not as far off as I feel we are from promotion. 

9 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Well done your lot. By far the best team, in individual games, I’ve seen in the league in the past 2 seasons. Would’ve been a bit of an injustice if you hadn’t managed to get up. 

Glad we won’t have to face you next year and gives me a glimmer of hope that we managed to finish off quite a few points ahead of you this year - maybe we’re not as far off as I feel we are from promotion. 

Appreciate it… I think you may be more right than you know.  Think your fans have high expectations and at times you’ve underperformed, especially last season.  But think next season may be good for you guys.  That’s where I’d have my money 

8 hours ago, Sub Parr said:

I don’t think his substitutions have always been the best, but tonight he got it 100%
Well done Reece McCabe, and well done to all the players whether used tonight or not. Over the season it’s been a hell of a show. Some times good, some times awful, sometimes woeful, sometimes fantastic. 

♦️

I thought that McGregor was amazing when he came on.

Still can’t believe we managed to turn it round yesterday. 

Hopefully we get the likes of Killie and Dundee United down as that will be great crowds wise.

Well done lads and ladies. Yesterday was a cracker of a game as a neutral. The way your team attacks with pace and quick passing is great to watch at times. There was a question about whether airdrie had any bottle when it comes to big games, but clearly yesterday showed that you do. 

Kindly bugger off and leave us alone 😊

Congrats.

An exciting side this season, who gave us all a great comedy highlight, with that 1st leg, 1st half against Falkirk.  You've done a lot of languishing in what is now our established home, so it must feel great.

I don't want to strike a sour note, and it's no doubt been done to death, but seriously, why so many Union Flags?  Obviously, I know of (but don't understand) the association, but I'd genuinely thought that was a bit of a dated stick to beat you guys with.  Last night, however, would suggest that kind of sentiment has a foothold. 

Do lots of you cringe round that stuff, or is it an identity you're at ease with?

I genuinely do come in peace here, even if it doesn't sound like it.  I just found it as striking a sight on telly, as I did, a puzzling one.