The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

58 minutes ago, 101 said:

Surely not every game?

You might get away with that in L1 but the tactics and game management is far harder in the championship will be hard to do that whilst in the thick of it. Would also doubt Fordyce has the legs for the championship either.

Likely not to be fair, I was more talking about the fact they will be registered to play when the squad is being built. Dycey will still be decent with a more mobile young CH next to him

Edited by cb_diamond

Flags - wish people would stop bringing politics to football. The current generation of political bigotry is pretty much just the same old sectarianism wrapped up in a new shell. However - a distinct identity for the club and its support is a good thing, just wish it was something else - not that I have any suggestions.

In addition however - neither the union flag nor the saltire should be controversial, as whether you like it or not they do in fact represent all of us in some context unless you are a foreign national visiting temporarily. I posit therefore that people offended by the flags aren't really offended by the flags, they are offended that someone doesn't share their opinion.

Football - Absolutely thrilled by the playoff result, although it wouldn't be Airdrie if we didn't do it the hard way with the difference being 1 kick of the ball. Had serious doubts about this team due to the run of bad form mid season, but they have turned it around and deserve massive credit for that. The defense in particular needs strengthened going forward and it will be interesting to see who stays and who goes, who comes in, and how ambitious the club want to be.

Edited by G_H

59 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Likely not to be fair, I was more talking about the fact they will be registered to play when the squad is being built. Dycey will still be decent with a more mobile young CH next to him

Yes they will be important squad players next year to utilise when holding onto games and the like but I would say having both regularly in the starting 11 would see you back down quickly.

Well done on the promotion. Bit more of a season of extremes than ours but end result is the same and we will have to come to terms with the loss of the easy points off Falkirk next season.

Hope McCabe doesn’t change too much in terms of the approach as the mental scorelines in Airdrie games has been good entertainment value.

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

Yes they will be important squad players next year to utilise when holding onto games and the like but I would say having both regularly in the starting 11 would see you back down quickly.

Fordyce will start every week. He had a poor first half to the season by his standards but he was the best defender in League One the three years before that and he was getting back to his best in recent months. I think with a more mobile centre back beside him he’ll be fine in the Championship.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Fordyce will start every week. He had a poor first half to the season by his standards but he was the best defender in League One the three years before that and he was getting back to his best in recent months. I think with a more mobile centre back beside him he’ll be fine in the Championship.

I have to agree with this.  Fordyce was just about the best defender in L1, he will be better than 80% of other Championship defenders imo.   He was an absolute rock for the run in, barely put a foot wrong.   I’m sure Rhys will get the right CB for him to partner with.  No issues there 

I think the big thing for us is to get our signing business done early. Obviously much easier said than done and a fair few clubs ,including us , struggled this season. 

Good sign for us is that the 2 hibs boys are signed up for next year. Shows Rhys is and has been planning for next year already. 

Jackie McNamara was at the FIFA tourney today at Hampden I was playing at and he is McCabes agent.

chatted to him for a good bit and he said that he has a good few players lined up for Airdrie next season.

By the sounds of it he was talking around half a dozen players.

Didn’t even realise he was an agent, got round to that as I asked if he was still coaching 😂

5 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Jackie McNamara was at the FIFA tourney today at Hampden I was playing at and he is McCabes agent.

chatted to him for a good bit and he said that he has a good few players lined up for Airdrie next season.

Didn’t even realise he was an agent, got round to that as I asked if he was still coaching 😂

Go get the Consilium Sports Group list

IMG_4095.png

8 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

How did you get on?

29 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

How did you get on?

Out in group stages, me and the boy who played were normal punters and the rest of the teams bar a couple had pro gamers in it.

We had 2 teams in our group who’s players were professionals 😅

The other guy who played got beat 3-2 off a Clyde player, who had no hands.

28 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Out in group stages, me and the boy who played were normal punters and the rest of the teams bar a couple had pro gamers in it.

At the risk of sounding like the 40 year old that I am, what constitutes a pro gamer these days? Back in the day it was just that one geezer that they wheeled out semi regularly on gamesmaster haha

43 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Ffs at least we can beat Clyde consistently with both hands tied behind our back on the field..

26 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

At the risk of sounding like the 40 year old that I am, what constitutes a pro gamer these days? Back in the day it was just that one geezer that they wheeled out semi regularly on gamesmaster haha

Majority of the players in our group were professional, one the guys I played against played for England Esports and another guy played for Burnley.

full time gamers essentially. 

2 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

I have to agree with this.  Fordyce was just about the best defender in L1, he will be better than 80% of other Championship defenders imo.   He was an absolute rock for the run in, barely put a foot wrong.   I’m sure Rhys will get the right CB for him to partner with.  No issues there 

Would take the just about away from that,