The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

I thought the lineup today was fine...apart from Jack McKay. He’s apparently a striker (but let’s be honest, he’s not) and he’s certainly not a RB or RM - he just offers nothing. I’m not going to pretend to know anything going on behind the scenes - largely because I don’t - but there’s something fishy about it, given how poor he is and the fact he has started ahead of Thomson, Carrick, Robert, Connell, et al since the restart. We have better options at RM and for me, Thomson needs to start in place of him on Tuesday.

Again, I think Murray and the players deserve credit for that result today - the first half was fairly even, but we were undone by a quality finish and a freak mistake at the back. The attitude to battle away and fight back from 2 goals down was first class though and I felt we knocked the ball around well in the second half too and were more than deserving of the draw.

We still have such a good chance to make the top 4 - given we have home games against the bottom side in the league and one of our promotion playoff contenders. I just hope we maintain the form of the past week and seize the chance.

Moving forward, and I’d alluded to this a couple of weeks ago, I’ve seen enough from the manager lately that I’d like to see him given the chance to build his squad in the summer and take us forward. There are a lot of ifs, buts and maybes, but I still think we’ve got a good core squad there (especially if we remain in League 1) and with some shrewd summer recruitment, we could be a good outfit next year.

I almost agreed with you until the last para. as I am still so unsure about Murray. I give him the benefit of the doubt because in his time he came in midway/ had us close last season till shutdown/ is not that far away now : The OTL podcast pointed out that he has a far better win record ( in lower League mind you) than almost of our post 2003 managers. So if he gets us into top 5 first, and then gets us into top 4 , I would take one more punt on him. 

1 minute ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Presumably if we beat Forfar and as they have no game we go above them  with 26 to their 24. They then play Peterhead at Methil and a home win takes them back above us.  In that situation it looks like winner takes all for top 5 place  as only a win would keep Peterhead in it.  But Montrose have Thistle (A) and Cove (H), whilst Cove have Falkirk at home and Montrose away. it's all in the hands of the bravest team/manager. Thistle of course have Clyde (H) and Dumbarton (A) so I think they will be in top 4. 

Went from shouting at TV to jumping with equaliser but that's the joys of being an Airdrie fan credit due for the effort and fightback. I don't always agree with team selection or tactics its all about opinions.

Montrose get credit for being a good side and well organised imo we were the best team by a bit today and had enough chances to win it ♦️

That is the best performance against Montrose for a good while, we certainly deserved something from it. I have always maintained however that the quality of a teams forward line will ultimately decide places at the end of the season. We had numerous opportunities today to win that game out of the park but as usual the lack of quality and composure in the final third let us down.

That is why the likes of Cove, Falkirk, Partick and so on will be almost be assured of finishing near the top. Here's hoping that next season we can address this long running need for quality in this area. I personally don't see us getting promoted this season for this fact alone.

13 minutes ago, Diamond72 said:

That is the best performance against Montrose for a good while, we certainly deserved something from it. I have always maintained however that the quality of a teams forward line will ultimately decide places at the end of the season. We had numerous opportunities today to win that game out of the park but as usual the lack of quality and composure in the final third let us down.

That is why the likes of Cove, Falkirk, Partick and so on will be almost be assured of finishing near the top. Here's hoping that next season we can address this long running need for quality in this area. I personally don't see us getting promoted this season for this fact alone.

If we get to playoffs would be an achievement with this squad even though I'm sure that would have been a minimum target this season, if we do it would be a miracle if got promoted don't think we are good enough for that.

If  I what I hear transpires then we will be challenging next season.... hopefully ♦️

I'll take the point. 

First half  was equal  with two differences - a  good finish from  Ballantyne and Webster, who was causing us problems all half,  never gave up and got his cross in resulting in a clinical Sean Crighton finish  - shame it was into our goal.  2nd half , we  were  far the better team but our final ball/finishing was honking. When their keeper saved from Thomson I really thought that was that, but give the team credit, they never gave up and it just shows you how crazy football is when a keeper who looks kind of solid and makes an excellent save 7 minutes beforehand  makes a complete baws of Sean Crighton's less than clinical cross - not that I was complaining.

Unbeaten in 3, and still in there. The most telling  part for me is the number of players that ran towards Murray after we equalised. Like him or not, he hasn't lost the dressing room and the players still have that buy in.  Need full points from the next two though.

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Give it a rest ffs,    of course he is picking his own team,  Millar is away now.....   It's Murray's team and his subs that are changing the games in our favour..    Today's draw was massive especially after the Falkirk game,   we now have a decent chance of top 5,   different type of pressure on the manager and players now..... We are not great against teams that come to Airdrie and 'sit in'..       You never know Murray could pull this out the bag and earn himself a new deal..

Did say if, I have no other contact with any one involved with running the club, just didn't think the manager would keep playing the same player and keep taking him off every week, would see the point if he was bringing something to the game, but will give it a rest as my opinion and knowledge on game seems poor, 

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

I mentioned this after the sending off a couple of weeks ago but he’s been a liability at times this season and is probably one of the reasons why we’ve been much worse defensively this year. Fordyce and Kerr were very solid in the few games they played together last year, would be pretty happy with them as the starting centre backs next season assuming we’re still in this league. 

Move Crighton to right-back after his 'cross' this afternoon. If it worked for Livi it can work for us ;) 

Fair play to Murray and the team. They were rightly criticised after the first 3 games from the restart but have showed some bottle to grind out wins at Dumbarton and against Falkirk, and fight until the end today. With the 2 home games coming we have the chance to secure top 5, we know that home advantage means very little and neither seemingly does the league position of the teams we play against when picking up results, however Forfar are clearly the one side who are worse than everyone else so if we can't beat them when it really matters then we don't deserve to finish in the top half. A win against Forfar would mean even a draw against East Fife might end up being enough.

3 hours ago, Eric the half a b said:

If we get to playoffs would be an achievement with this squad even though I'm sure that would have been a minimum target this season, if we do it would be a miracle if got promoted don't think we are good enough for that.

If  I what I hear transpires then we will be challenging next season.... hopefully ♦️

What do you hear?

17 hours ago, airdrieman said:

We could have done with the 3 points but in the context of being two goals down and, NEVER coming back from behind, that's a cracking result. A bit concerned it took an absolute howler from their goalkeeper but I'll take it and it makes up for Crighton's howler in the first half (well done to the big man). Despite falling down to 6th we're in a decent enough position going into the final two games. That last game against East Fife is going to be a shootout for the final top 5 spot isn't it? 

The kind of game you want to be there to see get usually plenty goals in the East Fife games. That said and really should win but Forfar at home gives me the fear lol ♦️

Good listen as always, would encourage anyone who hasn't yet to give it a shot.
Well done on getting this out "on time" as well - with the games coming thick and fast it'd be easy to be a game or two behind, must be a lot of effort going into putting it together.

In fairness we’ve got lower and lower tech from our beginning when Ross Owen was running 3 cameras and 3 microphones then losing lots of sleep splicing that all together.

We’re now down to just a zoom call and some basic editing. Trying to do it monthly helps me with that too.

Could always do with more panellists though. Chapelhall Chap lined up for a debut soon. Looking for others too though as it’s important to have as many different views as possible.

4 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

In fairness we’ve got lower and lower tech from our beginning when Ross Owen was running 3 cameras and 3 microphones then losing lots of sleep splicing that all together.

We’re now down to just a zoom call and some basic editing. Trying to do it monthly helps me with that too.

Could always do with more panellists though. Chapelhall Chap lined up for a debut soon. Looking for others too though as it’s important to have as many different views as possible.

I have my Zoom but a bit clueless. Just watched Montrose website highlights  which are fair on both sides over the bits of action. We were in the game a lot in first half and CFB's feint just took Ally Roy out of the blocking move-so it was a good shot which Currie could only see through a ruck. The howlers obviously feature and the great save from Thomson, who also did well to block their counter attack late on. It's definitely Galls goal despite some press reports and the celebrations at the end are worth watching! 

More ITK pish. Just what we need on this thread. Who is getting us out of this league? Our invisible chairman? The agent who apparently runs the club? Our genuinely garbage manager, our squad of underperformers/never will performers??? Honestly, wrap the local grapevine whispers presented as facts garbage people. It's embarrassing and the vast majority of the time miles wide of the mark. Falkirk-esque behaviour.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

More ITK pish. Just what we need on this thread. Who is getting us out of this league? Our invisible chairman? The agent who apparently runs the club? Our genuinely garbage manager, our squad of underperformers/never will performers??? Honestly, wrap the local grapevine whispers presented as facts garbage people. It's embarrassing and the vast majority of the time miles wide of the mark. Falkirk-esque behaviour.

Spot on mate.   Post like that just come across as someone coming on to say I know something you don't know yet still not back it up.   Are all supposed to hanging on for the next words.  

Also if there wasn't a plan to get us out of this league at the start of every season id be more worried.

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Our chairman is Ferguson,he's at every game he clearly ain't invisible so is Paul Hetherington he's hardly invisible 

17 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Our chairman is Ferguson,he's at every game he clearly ain't invisible so is Paul Hetherington he's hardly invisible 

I stand corrected I was indeed referring to PH, who I am not aware of having any direct communication with the fans for a long, long time. Good that you pedantically picked me up on that small error but ignored all of the other, far more pertinent points. Whataboutery in action.