The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Enjoyed that Leon McCann interview, certainly seems like he’s got the right idea in terms of playing first team football. I always thought he’d move on to a bigger team than Kyle MacDonald and it certainly sounds like there’s a decent chance of him moving on this summer. It would be a shame to see him go but it’s another great example of young players being given time to develop and progress at Airdrie before moving on to a bigger team. Obviously we need to try and keep our best players but that’s not always possible in the position we’re in, so showing ourselves as a club who can develop young players can only be a good thing in terms of attracting new players. 

As others have said, he didn’t have a great start to this season but he’s been much better since the restart and probably our best defender overall this season. Playing alongside two experienced defenders in Crighton and Fordyce must be great experience for him. The manager has put a lot of faith in him given Eckersley was barely seen for most of last season and we didn’t bother signing any other left backs this season but he’s certainly showed why. There’s a few decent left backs in this league but McCann is right up there in terms of the best, certainly in terms of potential anyway.

4 hours ago, Mr November said:

Enjoyed that Leon McCann interview, certainly seems like he’s got the right idea in terms of playing first team football. I always thought he’d move on to a bigger team than Kyle MacDonald and it certainly sounds like there’s a decent chance of him moving on this summer. It would be a shame to see him go but it’s another great example of young players being given time to develop and progress at Airdrie before moving on to a bigger team. Obviously we need to try and keep our best players but that’s not always possible in the position we’re in, so showing ourselves as a club who can develop young players can only be a good thing in terms of attracting new players. 

As others have said, he didn’t have a great start to this season but he’s been much better since the restart and probably our best defender overall this season. Playing alongside two experienced defenders in Crighton and Fordyce must be great experience for him. The manager has put a lot of faith in him given Eckersley was barely seen for most of last season and we didn’t bother signing any other left backs this season but he’s certainly showed why. There’s a few decent left backs in this league but McCann is right up there in terms of the best, certainly in terms of potential anyway.

Makes the situation with robert more strange.  Is he not starting every week to protect him from injury for his next move?  If he's came to us to play and improve then move on why is jack mckay starting infront of him? 

The strange situation of unwanted colt teams in the Diddy Cup gave us the 1st look at Leon mccann.   Still remember on way out though we won 1-0 everyone was talking about the wee left back.  To get him on loan was good work as at that time he was seen as cover for eckersly.  Then took his chance.  Man of the match in quite a few games. Then to get him permanently I have to admit I though it was going to earn us a few quid with him leaving.   hope he gets a chance with a team in the top league.   Don't think he'd let anyone down. 

This is a nice listen, Crighton touches on the season so far and talks a bit about his role at the club. Seems like he helps out with coaching set pieces and opposition analysis while Murray takes most of the day to day coaching. I've been critical of his performances this season but he certainly comes across as a good guy and he's a good ambassador for the club. 

Interesting results elsewhere tonight, probably results that suit us too. Seems like Thistle are hitting form at the right time, it takes them a few points ahead of us but good to still have a gap over Montrose. A win next week would go a long way to getting top four, really important we manage to at least make the top half from here. 

15 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Interesting results elsewhere tonight, probably results that suit us too. Seems like Thistle are hitting form at the right time, it takes them a few points ahead of us but good to still have a gap over Montrose. A win next week would go a long way to getting top four, really important we manage to at least make the top half from here. 

Montrose look as if the season has just demanded too much judging by that heavy 5 goal defeat. They have to play Cove in game 18 , and being on 24 pts they have to win to pass us, if we lost. A win for them and a draw for us would be dependent on GD but cant see Cove losing a lot of goals. Of course a win for us secures a top 5 place--so yes a good night for us and Nat Wedderburn even scores against Clyde.

What the chance of Paul Paton being fit for Tues, would be good having him and Turner, think we will need them to get a result after East  Fife result allbeit Peterhead were winning until the sending off, A draw would do but too dodgy playing for a point , The right team on the park from the start will give us a fighting start, 

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

What the chance of Paul Paton being fit for Tues, would be good having him and Turner, think we will need them to get a result after East  Fife result allbeit Peterhead were winning until the sending off, A draw would do but too dodgy playing for a point , The right team on the park from the start will give us a fighting start, 

Very interesting last day ahead ♦️

I feel that this is a must win match that will make or break the season. If we lose we will be 4 points off a playoff place even if Montrose fail to beat Cove, that will be a real handicap going into the post split as we will be playing teams that (Falkirk aside) we have not performed well against so it would be a struggle to get that playoff place.

30 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

I feel that this is a must win match that will make or break the season. If we lose we will be 4 points off a playoff place even if Montrose fail to beat Cove, that will be a real handicap going into the post split as we will be playing teams that (Falkirk aside) we have not performed well against so it would be a struggle to get that playoff place.

Paton and Turner and McCann playing more like himself will  make a big difference, Well here's hoping anyway  

It gives us a real chance of taking three points if we play well for the 90 minutes. I suspect we will make the top 5 as I feel Mpntrose will not beat Cove, but to then go on to make the top 4 is not beyond us. I heard Richard Foster of Thistle say that being guaranteed the top 5 now, if they win all their games , they will be champions-that's the kind of thinking that could come back to bite him, but optimism is no bad thing. It will be very challenging but looking forward to Tuesday ( Not said that often this season)

6 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It gives us a real chance of taking three points if we play well for the 90 minutes. I suspect we will make the top 5 as I feel Mpntrose will not beat Cove, but to then go on to make the top 4 is not beyond us. I heard Richard Foster of Thistle say that being guaranteed the top 5 now, if they win all their games , they will be champions-that's the kind of thinking that could come back to bite him, but optimism is no bad thing. It will be very challenging but looking forward to Tuesday ( Not said that often this season)

Just a pitty fans can't be there its what it is all about ♦️

There’s a good interview with Euan O’Reilly here. It’s good that he seems to finally be getting over his injury issues, he’s certainly been an important player for us since the restart. Good to see he’s enjoying his time at the club.

I quite liked him in the few games he played last season but he wasn’t great in his few appearances earlier this season, you could tell he had some good attributes but he struggled to put everything together and his crossing was especially poor. It certainly wasn’t a lack of effort, he just didn’t seem to know what he was doing when he got the ball. He reminded me of when Raith fans said Mark Stewart was like a speedboat with no driver. He’s been much better since the restart though and seems to be improving with a run of games. He’s still very raw but his pace and directness provide a similar threat to what Callum Smith did for us last season, though not on the same level. Even on Smith’s poorer days his pace and work rate always caused the opposition problems and I hope O’Reilly can have a similar sort of impact if he continues to improve.

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I would certainly rather play Falkirk than Thistle in the playoffs due to our recent record against Falkirk. 

6 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Kyle Turner has been the fundamental difference in our recent run of results IMO. We play so much better and so much more effectively when we play through him. It's no wonder we're far more creative and forward-thinking with him in the side. As good as he is at it, it's still a bit concerning that he's essentially running the entire midfield by himself. Having Paton back and playing alongside him will be a big help. He'll also hopefully help us retain our shape when the other team are on the counter-attack as we're still getting badly exposed to that. 

Here's to us and Cove/East Fife relegating Ayr and keeping Falkirk and Thistle down in League 1. 

19 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

I would certainly rather play Falkirk than Thistle in the playoffs due to our recent record against Falkirk. 

I have a feeling that Thistle will finish top so you could well be correct. Mind you we have not yet beaten Cove either but it all remains in the mix if we beat East Fife. 

4 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I have a feeling that Thistle will finish top so you could well be correct. Mind you we have not yet beaten Cove either but it all remains in the mix if we beat East Fife. 

Yeah definitely, one game at a time and see where we go. Will be interesting to see how we play when Paton comes back. Will hopefully add a bit of steel in there. 

On 17/04/2021 at 20:02, Mr November said:

There’s a good interview with Euan O’Reilly here. It’s good that he seems to finally be getting over his injury issues, he’s certainly been an important player for us since the restart. Good to see he’s enjoying his time at the club.

I quite liked him in the few games he played last season but he wasn’t great in his few appearances earlier this season, you could tell he had some good attributes but he struggled to put everything together and his crossing was especially poor. It certainly wasn’t a lack of effort, he just didn’t seem to know what he was doing when he got the ball. He reminded me of when Raith fans said Mark Stewart was like a speedboat with no driver. He’s been much better since the restart though and seems to be improving with a run of games. He’s still very raw but his pace and directness provide a similar threat to what Callum Smith did for us last season, though not on the same level. Even on Smith’s poorer days his pace and work rate always caused the opposition problems and I hope O’Reilly can have a similar sort of impact if he continues to improve.

That was a good read. I hadn't realised things had been so bad for him and maybe goes a way to explaining his poorer/quieter performances at the start of the season. He's been one of our better players since the re-start though and his direct running is a threat to teams at this level. I'm not sure we get the best out of him in the centre of the park but here's hoping he can play himself (and us) back to a decent level.