The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

Looking at the match stats it looks like Airdrie and East Fife are stitching Montrose up. Anyone watching the match confirm or tell us that’s not what’s happening?

Well we just scored! so...

Four points off top :lol: 

Remember when we thought we might be in a relegation battle? Fair play to Ian Murray and the team, their attitude and performances since then have been fantastic. It would have been very easy for the season to fade away but they dug in at Dumbarton, were the better team against Falkirk, deservedly got a late draw against Montrose and good wins at home to Forfar and East Fife, neither of which were easy games and indeed those are the sort of games we usually drop points in. Really pleased for them. A few weeks ago I just wanted the season to end, here I am really looking forward to the last four games. 

Not too much between the teams tonight before the goal, it was a dreadful game really, but after that we seemed to kick into gear and were by far the better team. Paul Paton looked really good, definitely made us a bit more solid defensively. Kyle Turner had his quietest game so far but even then he was outstanding in the last half an hour, what a player. If anyone can drag us through these next few games then it's him. Who knows where we'd be if he hadn't basically missed the first three games?

Didn't see that coming.   1st looked both teams were going to sit in.  2nd have much better.   Still looking nervous at times but a good win and very good 3 points.    Hitting form at the right time.  Other results have tightened this up again.  Only brightside to covid shut down is its gave us what could be and epic end to the season.  

Get in there! 

Better team second half, Gal has hit goalscoring form at the right time, Dale Carrick was at the wind up with that penalty just to make my heart sink before tucking in the rebound and Ian Murray was bamming Young up big time by chucking Stokes and Ritchie on. Should have fired Mbayo on anawl just to rub salt in the wounds. Brilliant. 

Delighted for them all, great run of form and big improvement in performances since the opening three. Not looked back after coming through that turgid battle at Dumbarton. Playoffs in our own hands and the title is there for us, if we can stop Thistle Saturday. 

Mon The Diamonds!

elvis presley dancing GIF

Interestingly the team look quite fresh,   East Fife were the walking wounded at the end,   Full credit to Ian Murray he is at the controls and showing everybody he can do it...   Only 3 weeks ago our side was completely on its knees after a futile defeat at Cove...... 

It's a funny ole game

Absolutely delighted to have fucked East Fife out to let Montrose in, anawl, even if the Mo' are the better side and will be a harder opponent. 

Partly because Montrose have been decent all season and belong in with us elite clubs (and falkirk). 

But mostly as a get it right up ye to Darren Young. 

I felt a few weeks ago that Murray had a big job on his hands to turn the tide following the 3 consecutive defeats after the restart but fair play to both him and the team - they've been very strong since then. I think 4th place is probably the best set of fixtures as its Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday - Tuesday so it's all to play for.

The first half was cagey and it looked like neither side wanted to make a mistake but prior to our opener Currie really only had one save to make (and made it well). We looked transformed after the goal and actually played some good stuff rather than the usual Airdrie way of retreating back towards our own goal line, with Connell and Turner both looking excellent for me. On Turner, he's made a huge difference, but credit also to some of those who've been here a bit longer - I thought Leon McCann was a far greater threat going forward than he's been over the last year or so and Fordyce won everything tonight, he never lets the side down. 

1 minute ago, AndyDD said:

Get in there! 

Better team second half, Gal has hit goalscoring form at the right time, Dale Carrick was at the wind up with that penalty just to make my heart sink before tucking in the rebound and Ian Murray was bamming Young up big time by chucking Stokes and Ritchie on. Should have fired Mbayo on anawl just to rub salt in the wounds. Brilliant. 

Delighted for them all, great run of form and big improvement in performances since the opening three. Not looked back after coming through that turgid battle at Dumbarton. Playoffs in our own hands and the title is there for us, if we can stop Thistle Saturday. 

Mon The Diamonds!

elvis presley dancing GIF

I started laughing when it was a triple sub anyway but even more so when I realised he'd chucked on Stokes, Ritchie and Walker. Darren Young had a very good record at Airdrie when he was Albion Rovers manager, I don't think he lost once at Airdrie, albeit we won all the games in Coatbridge. It's been near enough the opposite during his time as East Fife manager, other than one win in 2017 he hasn't won a game in Airdrie since. A shame he wasn't able to trip anyone up tonight.

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I started laughing when it was a triple sub anyway but even more so when I realised he'd chucked on Stokes, Ritchie and Walker. Darren Young had a very good record at Airdrie when he was Albion Rovers manager, I don't think he lost once at Airdrie, albeit we won all the games in Coatbridge. It's been near enough the opposite during his time as East Fife manager, other than one win in 2017 he hasn't won a game in Airdrie since. A shame he wasn't able to trip anyone up tonight.

Hahaha, same man, same. 

I won't lie, I've been nursing a grudge against that guy ever since that trip, so that was a lovely wee cherry on top. 

19 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Four points off top :lol: 

Remember when we thought we might be in a relegation battle? Fair play to Ian Murray and the team, their attitude and performances since then have been fantastic. It would have been very easy for the season to fade away but they dug in at Dumbarton, were the better team against Falkirk, deservedly got a late draw against Montrose and good wins at home to Forfar and East Fife, neither of which were easy games and indeed those are the sort of games we usually drop points in. Really pleased for them. A few weeks ago I just wanted the season to end, here I am really looking forward to the last four games. 

Not too much between the teams tonight before the goal, it was a dreadful game really, but after that we seemed to kick into gear and were by far the better team. Paul Paton looked really good, definitely made us a bit more solid defensively. Kyle Turner had his quietest game so far but even then he was outstanding in the last half an hour, what a player. If anyone can drag us through these next few games then it's him. Who knows where we'd be if he hadn't basically missed the first three games?

Almost too frustrating to consider... Missed 3 games (if you don't count his 3 minutes at Peterhead!) and we lost all 3. He's played 5 games and we've got 13 out of 15 points in those.

The first half was "tense" but the 2nd half was so much better and Gals goal did it. That let us control the game and while I was nearly apoplectic at the initial Dale effort I was quickly restored to cheery grunts. Currie did make a good save at one point but I can't mind if it was 2-0 at that point! Solid back 3 and although Paul McKay does occasionally just hoof it, I think the defensive cover is important. I also was amused when Stokes etc came on , but you do have to wonder what will happen to Sabatini/Robert. Kyle Turner was excellent and if only Ryan Conroy had not squealed so  much we might have been points better off. All to play for now.

5 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Hahaha, same man, same. 

I won't lie, I've been nursing a grudge against that guy ever since that trip, so that was a lovely wee cherry on top. 

Without googling/archiving , I assume you know whom he tripped! Enjoyed your slobberknocker line in the Idle Hands.

48 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Absolutely delighted to have fucked East Fife out to let Montrose in, anawl, even if the Mo' are the better side and will be a harder opponent. 

Partly because Montrose have been decent all season and belong in with us elite clubs (and falkirk). 

But mostly as a get it right up ye to Darren Young. 

Not forgetting a big right round ye also to Kenny Deuchar and the main commentator boy who tugged himself off every time the ball went out of East Fife's half. I'm sure they'll be lots to scream into the microphone about in the bottom half. 

21 minutes ago, Gogs Grog said:

Always liked Airdrie.
Oh and if big John the crane op is on P&B, nae bother big man, if work is available....
Still, my 0-0 bet is shite.
Teams competing, Scottish lower league football, love it.

20 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

Cheers guys, we owe you one. But not next week !!!

Just repaying you for Aaron Lennox chucking in the equaliser at the end of our game. Was all part of the plan.