The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Quite an even game overall.   Revert back to sitting far too deep in the last 10 mins.   Thompson has been decent in the last few weeks but put in 1 decent cross and hit the 1st man with every other.   By the reaction of the other players he's ignored a shout and tried to head it.    Will have to see how injuries affect the starting line up for Friday.    Still all to play for.

7 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

Quite an even game overall.   Revert back to sitting far too deep in the last 10 mins.   Thompson has been decent in the last few weeks but put in 1 decent cross and hit the 1st man with every other.   By the reaction of the other players he's ignored a shout and tried to head it.    Will have to see how injuries affect the starting line up for Friday.    Still all to play for.

Thought Morton looked a far better side in the second half, they way we played in second  half was the way we  played when season restarted, defended till they scored, we have done well to get where we are, apart from injured players we a good few players short of championship  standard, 

1 minute ago, Jack Reed said:

apart from injured players we a good few players short of championship  standard, 

As are we, either side would have to strengthen significantly to be anything other than turgid bottom-feeders in that division next season. It's not much of a prize unless your shop window model is poised to step up with better talent. 

Besides the 11 that played against falkirk/cove (league and first semi final game) we have nothing. The squad is so light and inexperienced. Anyone else notice how deep we got in the second half, absolutely petrified of the space in behind!

The experience of getting back to see a game was worth the inevitably long but careful checks. Hard to believe I was looking at the last game programme from 7/3/2020 before going tonight. The line up was predictable given our injuries and it was a reasonable opening spell. We never got any real threat down the right wing and O'Reilly was certainly busy but it rarely opened up a big solid lump of central defenders.  Apart from one shot and save from him, and a thumping but high shot from Carrick, we gave Fox an easy night. The same would be true at the other end for Currie. The 2nd half was injury driven and Morton began to control the game despite Turner's best efforts. It did look like we might escape again when they rattled the bar and missed the rebound.  All our rejigging meant we dropped back but if Thomson leaves the ball we avoid the corner. I never knew many of the Morton players and the white names were hard to pick out so I will just say it was a big lump who bullied Gallagher and Fordyce in scoring. I did recognise Nesbitt and he was sprightly as a sub as Morton took the game to us. They had a no 17 who would have been what we needed in the middle of the park but his name eluded me. I felt we were just too rushed any time we got on the ball and only Turner looked like opening them up. Would have accepted a 0-0 on the night but it's only half time, and the walking wounded will be stretched- I predict a 1-0 win and penalties!  Might watch some of the TV tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Besides the 11 that played against falkirk/cove (league and first semi final game) we have nothing. The squad is so light and inexperienced. Anyone else notice how deep we got in the second half, absolutely petrified of the space in behind!

And when that happens the space appears in front due to lack of midfield options and you get scorched out wide...

Unlucky with injuries,  looked like McCann and Crighton were struggling late on as well.   Murray worked his subs well the last few games, tonight they were all poor especially Roy and Robert who showed no work ethic at all,  unacceptable

Ignoring the result, being back at a game was brilliant. It initially felt quite strange, queueing to get in isn't the norm at Airdrie, but being back in the stadium and watching a game live was a great feeling. Once the game started it didn't even feel that different, perhaps because it was a poor game and I'm used to a stand with a fairly spread out crowd, but despite the result it was still great just being back at a game. Hopefully next season we're all back as I can't go another season of Pixellot. I think the thing I've missed most is the general abuse and vitriol you get at the most innocuous things. Booing Morton onto the pitch was a particular highlight, you don't get nonsense like that on the streams. Nice to see some familiar faces too and you'd like to think that having a big stadium and a small fanbase will help making sure we can all attend games next season. 

Really disappointed with the result and performance tonight. I don't think Morton are a great team but they were undoubtedly the better team, especially in the second half. Losing Paton, Kerr and Connell for tonight was a massive blow, all three were crucial to our recent good form both individually and in terms of how they allow the rest of the team to play. We really struggled without them tonight. Our midfield, Turner aside, couldn't get into the game at all, which is perhaps to be expected given our midfield consisted of wingers, strikers and full backs all night. The one man midfield thing works against poorer teams like Forfar where we have more of the ball but in a game like tonight where we need to control the ball it just doesn't work. O'Reilly was very poor, he's not a central midfielder and while Carrick had a few good moments he's wasted in there. I'm not sure why we consistently punted long balls up to McKay and Gallagher when it was clear Morton's defence were winning every high ball but we're not helped by playing guys who clearly aren't central midfielders in there. 

We were unfortunate with injuries again, especially in positions where we don't have much cover, but Murray's substitutions didn't work at all tonight. Why bring Robert and Roy on for McKay and Walker when we have a more defensive minded player like Ritchie on the bench who can fill in somewhere defensively? As much as he's been quite hit and miss we could have done with Sabatini in there tonight ahead of O'Reilly, someone else to control the ball and try and reduce the number of long, aimless punts. Ritchie puts in a lot of work and while he was poor last week, I'd prefer him in there in a back game than O'Reilly or Walker. 

That must be the biggest game a lot of our players have played in too, other than his loan in the Juniors last season I think that must be the first time Scott Walker has played a first-team game in front of a crowd? A mixture of that and tiredness meant we never seemed to fully grasp the occasion. Tiredness was a massive issue in the second half especially, we never looked like scoring and were very much holding on at the end. I suppose that's to be expected given the amount of football we've played but hopefully we can have one last push on Friday. The team have shown up when it counts a few times already this season. I do worry that we'll really struggle with any more injuries but there's no reason we can't go to Morton on Friday and win this.

I think I’m going to be asking for time eternity why Thomson didn’t just let the ball go out of play. Really sloppy goal to lose what with that and nobody following McLean(?) for the short ball from the corner. We were really out on our feet by the end, with more players going off injured and the rest of the team just looking knackered, to the point where I’d have taken the 0-0 and ran with it. We all said it before the game but we badly missed Paton tonight. He brings a balance, calmness and experience to the midfield which allows Turner to play further forward (and thus dictate the play) and which brings out the best in the other players in midfield. I know we’ve gotten away with playing Carrick and O’Reilly in midfield in league games but Murray got that badly wrong tonight. O’Reilly looked completely lost and his touch was shocking. He’s not a centre mid and I wouldn’t expect him to play like one so I do feel sorry for him. But he’s just back from injury  and on top of that he hasn’t played a lot of football, in centre mid or in his natural position, as it is. Bad decision to play him there in such an important game IMO. His strength is running at people out wide - let him do that or have him on the bench if you’re not going to play wingers. Speaking of which, for all their faults, Ritchie and Sabatini are at the very least proper central midfielders. Just play one of them in there! 

Really disappointing not to have tested Scott Fox at all, given he’s been out injured all season. IMO in general we’re far too reticent to shoot from range. Just have a dig and get him working - at the very least you might get a corner out of it or the ball might fall our way.
Jack McKay tries hard and puts in a power of work and I do appreciate that to a degree. But, despite his goal last week, I never have any faith that we’re going to score when he’s on the park. I understand why he started tonight but for me his (limited) role should be chucking him on late in games in the hope something might come off (last week) or letting him plug in gaps when players go off or we change shape (late in the game tonight). We’d be much better off starting Roy and playing balls into his and Gallagher’s feet or for them to run onto rather than the hopeless long balls tonight. Actually stretch the Morton defence and, again, get them working. 

All that being said, Morton aren’t great shakes either. Cup final on Friday. Whatever happens it’s the last game of the season so just go for it and leave it all out there. 

ETA: It was brilliant being at the game tonight. Nice to see folk again, sing and cheer on the team and, most importantly, chastise the opposition for stealing yards at throw-ins. It goes without saying but it’s an eminently more enjoyable experience than watching the streams. Here’s hoping, whatever league we’re in, we’ll be back for good in one form or another next season. 

Edited by airdrieman

7 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I think I’m going to be asking for time eternity why Thomson didn’t just let the ball go out of play. Really sloppy goal to lose what with that and nobody following McLean(?) for the short ball from the corner. We were really out on our feet by the end, with more players going off injured and the rest of the team just looking knackered, to the point where I’d have taken the 0-0 and ran with it. We all said it before the game but we badly missed Paton tonight. He brings a balance, calmness and experience to the midfield which allows Turner to play further forward (and thus dictate the play) and which brings out the best in the other players in midfield. I know we’ve gotten away with playing Carrick and O’Reilly in midfield in league games but Murray got that badly wrong tonight. O’Reilly looked completely lost and his touch was shocking. He’s not a centre mid and I wouldn’t expect him to play like one so I do feel sorry for him. But he’s just back from injury  and on top of that he hasn’t played a lot of football, in centre mid or in his natural position, as it is. Bad decision to play him there in such an important game IMO. His strength is running at people out wide - let him do that or have him on the bench if you’re not going to play wingers. Speaking of which, for all their faults, Ritchie and Sabatini are at the very least proper central midfielders. Just play one of them in there! 

Really disappointing not to have tested Scott Fox at all, given he’s been out injured all season. IMO in general we’re far too reticent to shoot from range. Just have a dig and get him working - at the very least you might get a corner out of it or the ball might fall our way.
Jack McKay tries hard and puts in a power of work and I do appreciate that to a degree. But, despite his goal last week, I never have any faith that we’re going to score when he’s on the park. I understand why he started tonight but for me his (limited) role should be chucking him on late in games in the hope something might come off (last week) or letting him plug in gaps when players go off or we change shape (late in the game tonight). We’d be much better off starting Roy and playing balls into his and Gallagher’s feet or for them to run onto rather than the hopeless long balls tonight. Actually stretch the Morton defence and, again, get them working. 

All that being said, Morton aren’t great shakes either. Cup final on Friday. Whatever happens it’s the last game of the season so just go for it and leave it all out there. 

ETA: It was brilliant being at the game tonight. Nice to see folk again, sing and cheer on the team and, most importantly, chastise the opposition for stealing yards at throw-ins. It goes without saying but it’s an eminently more enjoyable experience than watching the streams. Here’s hoping, whatever league we’re in, we’ll be back for good in one form or another next season. 

I'm pretty sure that McLean was setting a change of shirt and a clean up of blood at the time because he went back off for more attention 

Don’t want to criticise too much as they have done well to get where they are but last minute was pretty poor. We have been successful the last while by having turner and Paton in the middle of the park which gives us a solid base. With Paton out then we should have had a like for like in there. However, it felt like turner was in there himsrlf half the time.

We have also been successful with Gallagher and Connell up front. Both are half decent on the ball and do a lot of running. With Connell out then roy would have been the obvious replacement. However, for some reason he went with mckay who is pretty hopeless and should only really be on for last 5 minutes if we need a goal.

With these two missing and not replaced, it meant we were not as solid and we were also completely toothless up front which is obviously a bad combination.

Ritchie or sabatini would have been the obvious replacements for Paton as they are both more defensive minded and can offer the defence some protection like Paton does.

Not entirely sure where o’reilly was playing last night but he was poor. Paul mckay is clearly there because of his long throw. He isn’t the worst player but I feel he just punts the ball forward a lot of the time.

I suspect friday will be another slog. I presume none of the players above are back. Might be another couple of injuries as well.

I've had a self imposed ban from posting on this thread since just before the 1-0 Dumbarton win, call it superstition or what not but since, as it stands at the moment, we're out so might as well give my tuppence worth.

A turgid, cagey affair last night but did we expect anything else given whats at stake for both teams and with the personnel we had out.  Turner continues to impress and his energy in the middle of the park is unmatched.  O'reilly should have done better with the only shot that made Fox work, but he was really anonymous more centrally which was a strange tactic.  Disappointing to lose a late goal and another few injuries but both teams more than capable of winning this by showing a bit of adventure on Friday.

I have a friend who is an Airdrie fan and who has, in every respect, been very critical on your manager. My friend has been consistent in asserting "Murray is a poor manager and  Airdrie won't be promoted"! 

As a Jag I have referred him to your good form and great run of results but he insists manager is crap and no promotion! 

Having just read Murray's  comments following last night's game I am coming round to the opinion the guy is unreal and my friend is correct. After all who am to challenge the opinion of a life long Airdrie fan! 

In particular Murray's comment about the Thistle goal at Firhill from a set piece costing Airdrie the league title is laughable and very selective. In that one game he ignores the fact that Airdrie were battered in the first half and were only 1-0 down at half time due the the best goalkeeping display seen at Firhill in years. Also the absolute sitter Tiffoney missed late in the second half  at 1-0!

You can't look at one game or one goal and ignore the rest of the season. For example, prior to the suspension of football the Jags had 15 points from 10 games but in that 10 games we had up to 6/7 players out due to injury! All of whom would have been in the team or on the bench! McCall described the injury situation as the worst he had known in 22 years in management. Following Murray's comment about a single goal should/can I say that had all of our players been available the League would have been won with 10 games to spare! Falkirk fans, quite rightly, will point out they had in the second half of the season a similar injury crisis and that is why they imploded losing 6 or 7 of their last 8 or so games! Looking back I think Jags Fans should be thinking we in fact did well getting 15 points from 10 games whereas Falkirk managed only around 4/6!

IMO Airdrie were never realistic title winners but were a good bet for 2nd or 3rd - and so it proved! 

My thanks to you for knocking out Cove (don't like them) and I look forward to an Airdrie win at Cappilow  and joining us in the Championship.  Please though make sure your Manger gets his vaccination but include a dose of perspective, realism and above all common sense.

Best of luck! 

Injury wise, it's been a bit of a disaster for us. We've lost 6 of the starting 11 from the first leg of the Cove semi final, and at most levels if you lose more than half your team it's going to be an uphill task.

I think Murray has done a really good job since the restart (and especially since the Dumbarton game which sparked this great run), but you got the feeling yesterday that whenever someone went down injured it was just his "next pick" off the bench rather than who was the best positional replacement (Ritchie as a straight CM switch for Carrick, for example, seems more sensible).

With that said we're not out of it by any means and things are pretty simple now - we have to win against a bang average Morton side. I didn't think they offered a great deal of threat really, so Currie, Crighton and Fordyce at the back can keep things simple and tight there. Callum Gallagher is in good form and if we make a decent chance or two he can fire us to the win. The key then is freeing up Turner. If the sitting/shielding midfield options (Paton/Kerr/McKay) are out then we have to find some way to do it because we lose so much when he has to sit deep. If we can do that we've got every chance. 

1 hour ago, Exiledjag said:

I have a friend who is an Airdrie fan and who has, in every respect, been very critical on your manager. My friend has been consistent in asserting "Murray is a poor manager and  Airdrie won't be promoted"! 

As a Jag I have referred him to your good form and great run of results but he insists manager is crap and no promotion! 

Having just read Murray's  comments following last night's game I am coming round to the opinion the guy is unreal and my friend is correct. After all who am to challenge the opinion of a life long Airdrie fan! 

In particular Murray's comment about the Thistle goal at Firhill from a set piece costing Airdrie the league title is laughable and very selective. In that one game he ignores the fact that Airdrie were battered in the first half and were only 1-0 down at half time due the the best goalkeeping display seen at Firhill in years. Also the absolute sitter Tiffoney missed late in the second half  at 1-0!

You can't look at one game or one goal and ignore the rest of the season. For example, prior to the suspension of football the Jags had 15 points from 10 games but in that 10 games we had up to 6/7 players out due to injury! All of whom would have been in the team or on the bench! McCall described the injury situation as the worst he had known in 22 years in management. Following Murray's comment about a single goal should/can I say that had all of our players been available the League would have been won with 10 games to spare! Falkirk fans, quite rightly, will point out they had in the second half of the season a similar injury crisis and that is why they imploded losing 6 or 7 of their last 8 or so games! Looking back I think Jags Fans should be thinking we in fact did well getting 15 points from 10 games whereas Falkirk managed only around 4/6!

IMO Airdrie were never realistic title winners but were a good bet for 2nd or 3rd - and so it proved! 

My thanks to you for knocking out Cove (don't like them) and I look forward to an Airdrie win at Cappilow  and joining us in the Championship.  Please though make sure your Manger gets his vaccination but include a dose of perspective, realism and above all common sense.

I'd say Murray has done a good job at 2 out of the 3 clubs he's managed, an exceptional job at Dumbarton tbf. Managers will always say things after a game to either protect their team or deflect blame, I'm not sure you can read too much into those types of comments. Judge him on results and style of play, he can struggle with the latter sometimes but generally gets good results.