The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

49 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

That's really interesting, thanks everyone for the responses. 

Tactically he sounds like a bit of an open book, lots of different defensive and midfield permutations. I'm really intrigued to see how he sets out his midfield at the Rovers, particularly at the beginning of the season. He'll almost certainly be constrained to a back four just through availability of centre halfs, and based on what's been said I think he'll probably favour a diamond (no pun intended), even though that'll mean leaving our two "showiest" players on the bench in Dario Zanatta and Aidan Connolly. If we sign Scott Brown, as has been mooted, I think we could stamp a confirmation on that idea. 

And as for throwing strikers forward, he'll have a job to do there because we've only got two, but I imagine that's the item at the top of his agenda. 

At this level, I don't think it's a huge issue if the manager is a wee bit too rigid or not particularly reactive. If you've got the right players in from the start you'll still win more than you lose, as Airdrie saw last season, and that in-game stubbornness is a price I'm more than willing to pay for the most important thing that Murray brings to the table, and it's what you've highlighted above. 

My biggest fear when we lost John McGlynn was that he was (without doing a disservice to Paul Smith or the others in his backroom) a bit of a one man football department. Compared to other Championship clubs we've got a very lean structure and McGlynn made it work by putting in all the hours and being very hands on with his training, and his scouting, and his recruitment etc. I was worried that if we brought in a Kevin Thomson, for example, that he wouldn't thrive in that position, but it sounds like Ian Murray has fought to get to exactly that point with Airdrie, where he's got the autonomy to run the show himself. 

Time will tell if he's successful, and like most managers I think he'll ultimately live and die by his recruitment, but at least the whole setup looks like quite a natural fit. 

He will also get everyone back for corners which often meant the ball was fired back into the box as the clearance would goto an opposition player. 

Will be interesting to see if McCabe adopts that same approach. 

44 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

He will also get everyone back for corners which often meant the ball was fired back into the box as the clearance would goto an opposition player. 

Will be interesting to see if McCabe adopts that same approach. 

McGlynn does that too. It's obviously a very deliberate and measured decision, but I find it maddening. 

So any chance of a Pen sighting or two today?

I obviously could be wrong and I’m certainly not ITK but we’ll surely hear soon about Gabby McGill who has been offered a contract. After him I wouldn’t expect too much in the way of signings for a week or two as a lot of players will be using this time to take holidays, but I could be wrong.

10 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I obviously could be wrong and I’m certainly not ITK but we’ll surely hear soon about Gabby McGill who has been offered a contract. After him I wouldn’t expect too much in the way of signings for a week or two as a lot of players will be using this time to take holidays, but I could be wrong.

I would imagine Rhys & Callum are currently ploughing through player lists as we only have 8 players signed to date. Anyone know anything about Sal's return? Gabby maybe another (to the amusement of Dunfermline fans) and also it's been widely mentioned that Tobi Oluwayemi (Celtic loanee) & David Hutton will be No 1 & back up coach goalkeepers respectively.

I would expect our squad to be around the 22 mark so loads to sign yet and less than 6 weeks to season starts!

I'd imagine it will follow the same pattern as most teams who lose a lot of players. We will probably get the core squad sorted by mid to late June once players have been released and been on holidays etc. Then after the league Cup first round when a lot of bigger teams play youth players and decide who to pap out on loan,  then we will get loan players in to fill out the squad. If we are still at 8 players come the second week of June then I'll panic...

Edited by Rossm25
Cause I'm humpty at spelling

15 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

That's Eoghan Stokes the greatest footballer in all of creation being held back by managers who don't get him and other players who keep keep up with his elite mentality? The one that gets punted after a season from everywhere he goes Eoghan Stokes? 😂😂😂

That interview still cracks me up.

Would have played for Leeds if Chris Wood hadn't been sold I'll have you know!

Where on earth are all the rumours? Just for clarification for all the ITK types on the thread, immediate post season/early pre season is the only point in the year where you lads have an encouraged amnesty to run wild with "I was drinking with Hetherington's gardener in Cue Here and he was saying we're getting Billy Gilmour on loan" type fantasy chat!

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Where on earth are all the rumours? Just for clarification for all the ITK types on the thread, immediate post season/early pre season is the only point in the year where you lads have an encouraged amnesty to run wild with "I was drinking with Hetherington's gardener in Cue Here and he was saying we're getting Billy Gilmour on loan" type fantasy chat!

I agree, I want rumours of Chinese cars parked outside the stadium / ex premier league players coming / anything at all now the excitement of the new management team and the lad from Montrose is starting to fade.

I was telling my son last night about the time Stoichkov nearly cam to Airdrie, he didnt believe me!

22 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Does anyone know who sang the rock / punk version of Wise Men Say that sometimes plays at the stadium, been trying to track it down?

Reaction. The song doesn't seem to be on Spotify/YouTube/suchlike though.

On 30/05/2022 at 07:41, Tory Boy said:

Pretty much sums it up. 

One thing I would add, when defending he looks for everyone to get compact and behind the ball. A lot of fans around me used to get frustrated that we wouldn't press the ball. But we seemed quite happy to let them have possession as long as they were in front of us. Everyone had to work to close down any gaps. When we eventually did win back the ball we'd break with pace and numbers. 

Tbh under McGlynn we never really pressed the ball either at the back and when we did they would play it around us and was clean through on goal/skin the full back or CH, Also one quick question does Murray like his CHs to play the ball around the back for about 10 minutes and leads to nothing? 

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Not ITK as such but have heard that Lewis Martin has spoke to us and is quite keen on signing due to knowing Dycey and McCabe from Dunfermline

21 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Not ITK as such but have heard that Lewis Martin has spoke to us and is quite keen on signing due to knowing Dycey and McCabe from Dunfermline

@Shandön Par had mentioned him the other day. Sounds a decent signing on paper tbh. The fact his time coming to an end at the pars being more of a natural endpoint as opposed to a "you're pish, beat it" scenario seems promising, as does the fact he's back to full fitness.

We’ve apparently made “exciting” signings in the forward and left back area. I have no information beyond this unfortunately!