The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Do we know if anyone is actually contracted for next season, I've heard Ballantyne, Rae and now Gall at various points in this thread? You have to make the assumption that Rhys and Dycey will still be here, they've done more than enough to warrant another year.

Edited by cb_diamond

9 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Do we know if anyone is actually contracted for next season, I've heard Ballantyne, Rae and now Gall at various points in this thread? You have to make the assumption that Rhys and Dycey will still be here, they've done more than enough to warrant another year.

Cammy Ballantyne 100% signed a 2 year deal in the summer, not too sure on others club quite poor on letting us know how long players sign up for.

Actually think Byrd is signed up for next season as well but don't quote me on it.

1 minute ago, Diamonds02 said:

I hope the rumours are true about rae but in all honesty I'd be shocked if they were as the only reason he's here this season is that his move to carlisle broke down last minute.

Was the Rae rumour not based on the club paying for his surgery?

1 minute ago, Diamonds02 said:

I hope the rumours are true about rae but in all honesty I'd be shocked if they were as the only reason he's here this season is that his move to carlisle broke down last minute.

The scarlet pimpernel not interacting with the fans. Well colour me surprised haha

I think the only one we know for a fact is Ballantyne. Rumours of Gallagher, Rae, McMaster all being signed up for next season but obviously nothing is known for a fact there.

I’d expect the January signings (Byrd and McGregor) probably signed 18 month deals but that’s just me guessing.

Remember in Murray’s first full season just before covid we announced contract extensions for several first team players in December/January? I think by the time of lockdown we had almost an entire starting 11 confirmed to be signed for next season. Would be great if the club could be a bit more informative in that way again.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I think the only one we know for a fact is Ballantyne. Rumours of Gallagher, Rae, McMaster all being signed up for next season but obviously nothing is known for a fact there.

I’d expect the January signings (Byrd and McGregor) probably signed 18 month deals but that’s just me guessing.

Remember in Murray’s first full season just before covid we announced contract extensions for several first team players in December/January? I think by the time of lockdown we had almost an entire starting 11 confirmed to be signed for next season. Would be great if the club could be a bit more informative in that way again.

We managed to sign up most of the part-time regulars during that spell as well as Fordyce, Crighton etc and oddly Patrick Pyott. That is the way to do things, build on a solid core and look to steadily improve, it’d be great if we can continue that this summer.

I remember when Watson’s new deal was announced last summer he said he’d signed it a while ago. I’m not normally one to criticise the club’s announcements but I don’t see any reason why new contracts can’t be announced before the end of the season, every other club seems fine doing it. 

I agree on Byrd and McGregor. I’m not fully convinced by McGregor yet but I’d keep for next season anyway as he definitely has some useful assets. Byrd less so, but I suppose it’s early days.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

Cammy Ballantyne 100% signed a 2 year deal in the summer, not too sure on others club quite poor on letting us know how long players sign up for.

Actually think Byrd is signed up for next season as well but don't quote me on it.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Remember in Murray’s first full season just before covid we announced contract extensions for several first team players in December/January? I think by the time of lockdown we had almost an entire starting 11 confirmed to be signed for next season. Would be great if the club could be a bit more informative in that way again. Maybe the same with Dixon and Riley too? 

I'd assume Byrd will be on a contract beyond this season? Seems like a complete waste of time to bring him over from Australia, which can't be cheap relative to how good he is, otherwise considering he's probably played about 100 minutes of football all-in. Maybe the same with Dixon and Riley too? Although at least both would probably be cheap enough to bin if need be. Don't think any of them are good enough for League 1 let alone the Championship. 

47 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I'd assume Byrd will be on a contract beyond this season? Seems like a complete waste of time to bring him over from Australia, which can't be cheap relative to how good he is, otherwise considering he's probably played about 100 minutes of football all-in. Maybe the same with Dixon and Riley too? Although at least both would probably be cheap enough to bin if need be. Don't think any of them are good enough for League 1 let alone the Championship. 

Byrd done the trial rounds at Leeds, Sunderland, Salford, Dunfermline & Accies before ending up at us so I doubt he cost us anything other than his present contract.

I see that we are now upto 8 players on the books to McNamara's agency which now includes Josh Rae, Dean McMaster and Lewis McGregor. 

Dixon and Byrd's contracts are until the end of the season with an option to extend for next year.

Byrd had an offer from Hamilton but chose to join Airdrie.

When I was on the bus to the Montrose game last season a family friend of Watson told us that he signed a full time contract and that was last April but it wasn't officially announced until months later so I assume some will be signed up for next year that we don't know about officially.

If I was to make any bold predictions I think Smith, Reilly, Salim and Telfer will be away next season, would 100% miss Smithy but I can see him ending up at Raith.

Reilly will probably end up back in Ireland, Salim will be moved on and Telfer I'm not too convinced he wants to stay at Airdrie.

I'm quite optimistic we will be able to keep the core squad from this season for next regardless of what league we are in.

If anyone wants to look at any potential signing targets for next season just look at the Transfermarkt for 'Consilium Sports Group' no doubt they'll be a few names from there that will be targeted.

Edited by David Fernández

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

If anyone wants to look at any potential signing targets for next season just look at the Transfermarkt for 'Consilium Sports Group' no doubt they'll be a few names from there that will be targeted.

Bring Dylan Easton and Kyle Turner home. 

In all seriousness, Nikolay Todorov is an interesting one. He’s maybe not a great fit for our style of play and I suspect he’ll het better offers but he’s done very well against us this season. McCabe and Fordyce have seemed quite scared of him in every game, could see them trying to bring him in.

18 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Bring Dylan Easton and Kyle Turner home. 

In all seriousness, Nikolay Todorov is an interesting one. He’s maybe not a great fit for our style of play and I suspect he’ll het better offers but he’s done very well against us this season. McCabe and Fordyce have seemed quite scared of him in every game, could see them trying to bring him in.

A midfield pairing of Kyle Turner and Dylan Easton are what dreams are made of.

Todarov would be a pretty decent replacement for Salim. Not sure if he'll stay at Dunfermline as they'll be in the Championship next season. Noticed that he didn't even come on as a sub in the 5-0 game on Saturday. He must be on pretty decent money there so wages might be an issue. He's not the most prolific striker so maybe would put a few Championship teams off but he'd certainly give us different options up front.

I think most people like Todorov at East End. Not prolific as you say but has an eye for goal and seems to pop up with important ones. His main issue is pace, in that he has none at all. 

Its between him and O Hara or maybe both to leave us, both could easily do very well elsewhere and in an ideal world they'd just be kept in our vast corral of strikers.

17 minutes ago, Stoo61 said:

I think most people like Todorov at East End. Not prolific as you say but has an eye for goal and seems to pop up with important ones. His main issue is pace, in that he has none at all. 

Its between him and O Hara or maybe both to leave us, both could easily do very well elsewhere and in an ideal world they'd just be kept in our vast corral of strikers.

Wouldn't mind O'Hara at us next season to replace Smith (assuming he's off)

16 hours ago, David Fernández said:

A midfield pairing of Kyle Turner and Dylan Easton are what dreams are made of.

Todarov would be a pretty decent replacement for Salim. Not sure if he'll stay at Dunfermline as they'll be in the Championship next season. Noticed that he didn't even come on as a sub in the 5-0 game on Saturday. He must be on pretty decent money there so wages might be an issue. He's not the most prolific striker so maybe would put a few Championship teams off but he'd certainly give us different options up front.

He's Dunfermline's 2nd top goal scorer this season and best per actual minutes played. Having said that, he's an out and out centre forward and in my mind looks like he would be better in a 2 up top but definitely an aerial threat which we lack.

19 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Ben Doak 👀

Big Todorov is a bit of fans favourite and has popped up with a couple of very important goals this season. McPake seems to like working with him and regularly praises his attitude, he might get limited game time but he'll give 100% in training and when he gets the chance. I personally would like to keep him as I think he adds the physicality, he'll certainly not be a starter in the Championship though, he'll be behind Wighton, McCann is viewed as more of a wide forward and has done really well there of late, and I think we'll bring one or two in.

I think Todorov will start against you guys on Saturday. I noticed when McPake was making his subs on Saturday, once he hit the maximum amount he pulled Todorov and Kyle MacDonald to one side and it certainly looked like he was telling them they would get plenty game time in the final three games.

I think O'Hara will probably go. He got injured early doors this season and made a comeback just after Christmas, he's chipped in with three goals this season, all as a sub off the bench, two were against Peterhead and Queens where we were already 3 and 4 nil up respectively. The only other was against Alloa with us winning 1-0 at the time, so he's good off the bench. I don't feel like criticising anyone too much just now as still in a bit of a post league win honeymoon feeling but he doesn't do enough in games for me. He's been here three seasons now and he has scored big goals but juts not enough. Suppose guys like Gabby McGill and Callum Smith were the same for us and have went on to score with you guys so who knows.

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

There's an 18 year old goalkeeper called 'Orann Donnelly' who plays for Cliftonville. That would be such a Jay Reily/Alex Henderson signing, think that will be more within our budget rather than Ben Doak 😆

Would like to think we might avoid the Northern Irish market going forward 😂