Alex McLeish Is Sacked.

Ludo*1

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It's an utter disgrace if it turns out that McLeish has health issues, especially if the SFA knew about.

It's a massive dereliction of duty and grossly incompetent to have appointed him, and also massively unfair on McLeish. They've put the guy in a situation he shouldn't be in, and all of that is squarely on them.

Absolute wankers.

It's a massive jump to say that because he had health issues, the SFA would have to know about them. I think it would be illegal for an employer to ask about a person's medical history prior to them taking the job (or after they were employed). It would also be morally questionable (and possibly illegal) to discriminate against someone based on their mental or physical health. Employment law doesn't just go away because it's football.

Once it was clear that his health was affecting his ability to do the job properly (and that certainly does appear to be the case), it then becomes a different issue.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, forameus said:

Is this actually confirmed?  I heard it was purely rumours that they were planning to do it, and nothing carried on BBC yet.

This, especially the bolded.  Any chat about his health has always seemed a bit uncomfortable, but now that it seems a bit more real it's even worse.  I've always seen it as a bit of armchair stuff, people trying to show how learned they are when they don't really know the whole facts.  In that sense, it would make sense him being hired, as you'd like to think that surely they wouldn't willingly put someone in there who was in a bit of trouble.  But now...imagine questions will be asked.

I've felt sorry for him pretty much through his entire reign, as he doesn't seem to be offered much respect anywhere.  If this all turns out to be true, then that just grows.  Get out, man, there's more to life than getting abused at Hampden every few months.

In normal life I'd agree with you, however I simply can't feel sorry for someone who is earning (using the term loosely) over £400k p/a.

In case anyone is in any doubt, this is around 20 times more than the national average for Scotland, meanwhile there's people with real problems such as trying to feed their families etc,  so No, I don't feel in the least bit sorry for him as it comes with the job.............

McLeish's appointment was a pretty much a favour from Alan McRae for a guy who was a bit down on his luck.

Whoring himself to Sevco on national TV had failed, and led to many questioning Mcleish's health at that point.   This was not the Eck of 2007, but a broken and downtrodden looking man.

Alan McRae announced him by stating he'd been on his testimonial committee 30 yrs previously - relevance?

McRae gave it all the 'Infantino's my mate' all over the granite city a few weekends back when the IFAB meeting was held here.

He is the most blazer of blazers................and Rod Stewart was right not to shake his hand.

1 hour ago, kennysmassiveego said:

I say let’s get back to the 50’s/60’s style of management , pick the Scotland team by committee .

On my committee I’d have Willie Miller , JK Rowling , Nacho Novo , Jim McLean , Jimmy Calderwood and Princess Anne 

Who would you have on your committee ? 

Amanda Rendall, Gerard Butler, Jim Leishman, Maurice Roeves, Glen Michael and Paladin. 

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's a massive jump to say that because he had health issues, the SFA would have to know about them. I think it would be illegal for an employer to ask about a person's medical history prior to them taking the job (or after they were employed). It would also be morally questionable (and possibly illegal) to discriminate against someone based on their mental or physical health. Employment law doesn't just go away because it's football.

Once it was clear that his health was affecting his ability to do the job properly (and that certainly does appear to be the case), it then becomes a different issue.

Aye, that's why I said if they knew it would be a disgrace.

They wouldn't have to openly say he was rejected on that basis, but it definitely should have come in to it.

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

In normal life I'd agree with you, however I simply can't feel sorry for someone who is earning (using the term loosely) over £400k p/a.

In case anyone is in any doubt, this is around 20 times more than the national average for Scotland, meanwhile there's people with real problems such as trying to feed their families etc,  so No, I don't feel in the least bit sorry for him as it comes with the job.............

Just reads like lefty jealousy bullshit to me, there are plenty of people with afflictions that would swap all their riches just to be well.

Based on nothing other than my own observations he gives me the impression of a punch drunk former boxer, not sure if anyone saw the documentary Alan Shearer did a while back about brain injuries and the effect of heading just one ball, never mind 20+ years of it being your main strength as a player.

Clearly I may be talking absolute sh*te but he doesn’t seem quite right and I hope he prioritises his health as it is not fair to put someone under that level of pressure, scrutiny and ultimately scorn and ridicule if they are are unwell.

4 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Gerry Sadowitz, Dame Helena Kennedy QC,Sanjeev Kohli, Mags Heaney, Billy Dodds.

I'd go with Chris De Burg, Lovejoy from TV, Lovejoy from Falkirk, Jacob Rees-Mogg, and half a packet of Quavers.

PS Well done Ian Maxwell.  It needed to be done.

I really like McLeish. He's flawed like any manager but I always thought he had a bit of intelligence about him that other comparable managers didn't have and that he was pretty much the perfect manager for international football - a good tactician and generally seems a good man manager.

I've no idea what has went wrong but it was uncomfortable seeing him on the football shows down south making claims like inventing the concept of teams playing 3 at the back and just generally not seeming to indicate he knew what was going on. It was pretty tough to watch at times when you compare to how he could speak a few years ago and I did find it really alarming when someone pointed it out a few years ago.

I tried to delude myself into maybe thinking it was more that he couldn't be arsed with what was going on and thought it was a bit unfair seeing the armchair pundits try to diagnose him but unfortunately, there obviously has been an issue there. I would be cautious to totally blame the SFA now as we don't know the nature of it but there are some very important questions to answer.

12 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Amanda Rendall, Gerard Butler, Jim Leishman, Maurice Roeves, Glen Michael and Paladin. 

6 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

I'd go with Chris De Burg, Lovejoy from TV, Lovejoy from Falkirk, Jacob Rees-Mogg, and half a packet of Quavers.

PS Well done Ian Maxwell.  It needed to be done.

Image result for billy joel gif

9 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I was going to go for Big Mags and Hercules the bear but we'd be reliant on getting a good clairvoyant.

Just because he has money doesn't make him immune to illness. He still deserves sympathy whether he's rich or poor. I find it in bad taste that his supposed health issues are plastered all over this morning's papers, that should have been kept behind closed doors.

I've felt sorry for him throughout, outwith his reported illness. He should never have been given the job in the first place and a number of players let him down throughout his reign - they also deserve criticism for the state of the last two performances, as well as a number of them dropping out of squads and refusing to play on plastic pitches.

Where do we go next? I seriously don't rate Lennon and there's no chance he'd take it given that he's gunning for the Celtic job. I reckon Clarke could be tempted but that's based on nothing and he may well tell them where to go if approached. I really hope we look further afield than Scotland but that requires a bit of initiative, something the powers that be are desperately lacking in.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

That's the thing.  A huge number of fans spotted this almost upon his appointment.  The fact that those in charge, supposed friends of his, put him into a job like this when he's clearly not right, is absolutely disgraceful. 

Alex McLeish wasn't fit for this job, physically or mentally.  That's been abundantly clear for a long time.  However, the problem does not start and end with McLeish.  Those in charge need cleared out as well.  I mean, we've given the keys to our National Association to a guy who used to run Cove Rangers FFS!  Fucking Amateur hour. 

The first call from whoever is in charge of this mess should be to Steve Clarke.  That's the only Scot we should be considering.  If he's not interested (likely!) then we have a worldwide search for the next manager.  No limits, get as many applications as possible and pick the best man for the job.

Let's not limit ourselves, I'm not joking.

Having said that if it's not Clarke and they aren't going foreign then we ought to consider bringing Strachan back till the end of the qualifiers to get the players back onside.

16 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I was going to go with Paladin too, having assumed that Glenn had shuffled off this mortal coil, but the good news is he is still alive and available for selection to select the next selector.

I think Jessie Rae would do a job for us.

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

One year, 12 games, seven defeats 14 goals scored, 46 players used, 19 debuts given and two of our worst ever results. 

Fair fucking play. 

Kazakhstan fair fucks but losing in Israel wasn't one of our "worst results ever", they aren't minnows.

I think three of them are dead but the SFA has proved that they are an equal opportunities employer I suppose!!!

7 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

One year, 12 games, seven defeats 14 goals scored, 46 players used, 19 debuts given and two of our worst ever results. 

Fair fucking play. 

19 debuts is a good thing.  The names of some of those debutantes.... not so good.

Archived