Alex McLeish Is Sacked.

Ludo*1

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WATTOO said:

So Coaches and Managers don't have medicals at all ??

Rather strange I'd think or maybe it's you who's the thicko.

Yes I'm sure Alex Ferguson, Alex Smith, Roy Hodgson et al regularly passed a medical to take training in their latter years of management. :1eye

9 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Fletcher went through periods of were he never wanted selected or was not getting into the team

At which point Lafferty would most certainly been in if he was Scottish you know around time Iwelumo got in the squad mind?

Iwelumo's famous miss against Norway came in October 2008.

At that stage, he had just joined Wolves in the Championship and was scoring on a fairly regular basis. That came off the back of two other decent goalscoring seasons in the Championship with Colchester (18) and Charlton (10).

Lafferty had just joined Rangers after having played for Burnley in the Championship over the same period, and he had managed 4 and 9 goals in those two seasons. Lafferty was third choice striker for Rangers behind Kenny Miller (who missed the Norway game) and Kris Boyd (who was an unused sub).

James McFadden started that game, while Steven Fletcher also came on as a sub before Iwelumo. Garry O'Connor would also have been in consideration at that point, given that he was playing and scoring regualrly for Birmingham.

So at that stage, you're probably talking about Lafferty at least 7th choice for Scotland behind Miller, McFadden, Boyd, Iwelumo, Fletcher and O'Connor.

5 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Yes I'm sure Alex Ferguson, Alex Smith, Roy Hodgson et al regularly passed a medical to take training in their latter years of management. :1eye

Surely that would be the prudent course of action, No ?

The Sun has changed its mind since this morning. (The second link no longer works; I wonder why.)

And they have the cheek to claim that correcting their earlier balls-up is an exclusive.

Sun.JPG

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

At that stage, he had just joined Wolves in the Championship and was scoring on a fairly regular basis. That came off the back of two other decent goalscoring seasons in the Championship with Colchester (18) and Charlton (10).

Lafferty had just joined Rangers after having played for Burnley in the Championship over the same period, and he had managed 4 and 9 goals in those two seasons. Lafferty was third choice striker for Rangers behind Kenny Miller (who missed the Norway game) and Kris Boyd (who was an unused sub).

James McFadden started that game, while Steven Fletcher also came on as a sub before Iwelumo. Garry O'Connor would also have been in consideration at that point, given that he was playing and scoring regualrly for Birmingham.

So at that stage, you're probably talking about Lafferty at least 7th choice for Scotland behind Miller, McFadden, Boyd, Iwelumo, Fletcher and O'Connor.

Fletcher chucked it for a few years way after most those guys were not getting picked chucked it or on drug bans or playing cap in England 

3 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

could it in fact be Keith Jackson that gets the sack after trumpeting this humiliating non story?

No chance.  Truth is secondary to getting idiots to call it to the Daily Record Hotline at three quid a minute.  Keith Jackson is pretty much all that stands between the Daily Record sports department and bankruptcy.  

Jackson isn't the most likeable guy, but he has a lot of good sources and very rarely gets big stories like this wrong.

My reading of this is that Maxwell (who wasn't there for the appointment) wants McLeish out but MacRae (and possibly Petrie) still supports him. My guess is that Maxwell as CEO will win out.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It was Boyd that took he huff in the Iwelumo game. Iwelumo had been banging in goals on a regular basis and playing very well in the championship so it wasn't a ridiculous choice to put him on 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The campaign is clearly not a "write-off". We're only two games in and we won one of them. There is a pretty decent chance that we will finish in the top 2 if we win every remaining game against Cyprus, Kazakhstan and San Marino and then take 4 points off Russia. That is not beyond the realms of possibility, given the run of form we went on at the end of the last campaign. And even if we miss out in the group, it's important to build momentum for the play-offs.

The "deadwood" that you mentioned was nowhere near the team in either of the last two matches. The line-up against Kazakhstan was our youngest in about 40 years, and James Forrest was the oldest player on the park.

Will you be putting money on that?

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Will you be putting money on that?

No, but I probably wouldn't have been putting money on us finishing 2nd when the draw was made either. That doesn't mean it's time to write the campaign off.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Jackson isn't the most likeable guy, but he has a lot of good sources and very rarely gets big stories like this wrong.

My reading of this is that Maxwell (who wasn't there for the appointment) wants McLeish out but MacRae (and possibly Petrie) still supports him. My guess is that Maxwell as CEO will win out.

Not sure he rarely gets big stories wrong.  He gets them consistently wrong by journalistic standards.  The Celtic shirt thing, the "48 Hours to Leave Glasgow" /Jorge Albertz signs a new contract thing, Craig White the "whizzkid".... pretty much all of the Rangers comedy years, his racist Morelos article....  A hit rate like that would have killed Woodward and Bernstein.  

His sources constantly take him for a ride, and he publishes everything he's told.  

Was it not the case that Maxwell didn't want McLeish in the first place?

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You genuinely wonder how they can still think he is a good idea? He can go now, fully paid up and leave the rest of the campaign for someone to come in and repair things for the Nations League Playoff. There is no hope at all that anything will change in the next round of games with Cyprus and Belgium, so what does keeping him achieve? Given that he doesn't appear to keeping the best of health, the current position cannot be helping him and its the SFA's responsibility to look after his interests as much as anything.

5 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

You genuinely wonder how they can still think he is a good idea? He can go now, fully paid up and leave the rest of the campaign for someone to come in and repair things for the Nations League Playoff. There is no hope at all that anything will change in the next round of games with Cyprus and Belgium, so what does keeping him achieve? Given that he doesn't appear to keeping the best of health, the current position cannot be helping him and its the SFA's responsibility to look after his interests as much as anything.

Well they wanted him in the first place, so sacking him now would essentially show that they made a fucking arse of it.  If it's anything related to health, then I imagine sacking him would open up questions they really don't want to answer.  From their perspective, what have they really got to lose?  They don't care.

There's a pretty sinister side to all of this. McLeish's health issues seem to have become the worst kept secret in Scottish football and now it's being used as an excuse for his dismissal.

I don't believe he's the right man for the job and that was clear when he was appointed, though if only McLeish is removed from his post then it's the worst act of self preservation in recent memory by an organisation that excel in such behaviour.

Archived