Promotion Chasing Ayr United vs Promotion Chasing Inverness Caledonian Thistle

With the amount of points you've taken off us this season I'm not surprised you can't wait to go back.

I’m taking consolation from the fact that in the 15/16 season we were shite against Peterhead all season (bar 1 game) and managed to get past them in the play offs. The flip side to that is we get past ICT and Dundee Utd put us out.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d actually like to know what our record is against not just ICT but Highland teams in general.

ICT have won 15, drawn 11, lost 7.

C*unty have won 19, drawn 9, lost 7.

No idea if there are other Highland  teams that you also have an awful record against. 

I mentioned earlier in the thread about switching to 4-4-2.  We did that, but I did feel it left us pretty exposed throughout the game.  When we attacked it became a 4-2-4 kind of thing and while I'm all for attacking football, I don't think Polworth and Chalmers are robust enough to play together as two central midfielders.  Thought Anthony McDonald was decent when he came on by the way.

I thought we were quite good today. Result was really disappointing but I was pleased we changed things and we made lots of chances. ICT are as "stuffy" a team as there is in the league. Disciplined, know their jobs and just go out and do it. A lot to like. I am thoroughly enjoying this season but I'm not sure I'll enjoy the playoff games against ICT (which may or may not happen). 

Sloppy goal to concede, need to try not give away free kicks if we meet in the play offs, Inverness are huge side and have an obvious advantage at set plays, hopefully Shanks can regain form in last few games as goals have dried up but we are still creating chances. Do we take a chance and rest players,  Smith looked like he took a dull one but stayed on, Shanks on for last 30. Go 4-5-1 and play Murdoch/Kerr/Crawford with Cadden and Miller wide and Moff up top. 

Lazy copy and paste from CTO:

Huge win in a quite entertaining game if somewhat short on quality at times. One player who certainly isn't short of quality is Polworth and his superb defence splitting pass sent Austin scampering away and he looked to be clipped by Doohan and from seemingly nowhere we had the chance to go one goal up. Sadly, as is the current ICT style, we fluffed the spot kick as Doran sent a weak shot down the middle of the goal and it was kept out by the trailing leg of the Ayr keeper. Austin was involved at the other end when we failed to clear a corner and Miller sent a fierce shot heading towards goal but Austin was on hand to header away. A few folk around me said it was probably going wide but I'm not so sure. Certainly grateful to have Austin there to keep Ayr out.

Doran was next to threaten for Inverness when he picked up the ball on the right edge of the box but his shot was just over the bar although Doohan looked to have it covered. Miller again had a great chance to put Ayr ahead when a cross from Cadden, who was roasting Rooney for much of the opening 30 minutes, was deflected into his path but thankfully he sent a poor header high and wide with Ridgers looking stranded. Then came one of the many goalmouth scrambles of the day. Walsh tried to get onto the ball as it bobbled around in the six yard area but when he did swing a foot at the ball his effort was good enough to beat the Ayr keeper. 

The start of the second half saw Ayr administer an absolute bodying to the ICT defence save from actually scoring. Almost all the Ayr attacks were coming down the ICT right with a number of low crosses flashed across the goal. However it was Craig Thomson who almost helped set up the Ayr opener when a Donaldson clearance crashed off his back and sat up nicely for Geggan but he pulled a volleyed effort wide. Another goalmouth scramble saw Rooney and Tremarco make desperate blocks to keep United out before Geggan somehow hooked an effort well over from only a few yards out as Ayr started to turn the screw and it looked to be only a matter of time before we would concede especially given that we had lost Donaldson to injury by this point. 

Almost inexplicably we then took the lead :laugh: Rooney was felled on the right touchline, Chalmers lifted a ball into the box which was missed by the United defence and Brad Mckay was on hand to score a goal of the season contender from 0.3 yards out. Ayr came right back into the game when McDaid cut inside and sent a low drive towards goal but Ridgers got down well to smother the shot. in the final few moments Moffat managed to create some space in the box but he seemed to hook his effort across the face of goal with no team mate on hand to tuck it away.

Something of a smash and grab win for us but, as we've found out this season, if you don't take your chances...

I was really impressed with the pace and movement of Shankland, Miller and Cadden and then McDaid when he came on. Rooney had a torrid time at right back and it was only a result of really poor finishing from the likes of Miller and Geggan that we didn't concede about 4 goals.

For ICT White had a poor game for the first 60 minutes then turned into a colossus for the final 30 mainly due to having a bit more space to work in as mentioned by Caley Stan above. He went from losing every header he went up for to winning just about everything and linking brilliantly with team mates to really take the pressure off the defence. Austin had a good game as well as did Doran (despite the penalty miss) and Polworth. Huge loss for us with Donaldson going off with what looked to be a knee injury. He appeared in the dugout before full time in flip flops so I am hoping he was just looking to boost early to get a Ryanair flight at Prestwick right after kick off...

A word for the Ayr fans, almost never stopped singing and getting behind their team for pretty much the entire game. I can't recall a home support like that this season. Great effort.

9 hours ago, rb123! said:

f**k me i didn't realise that was as big a cock up from Rose at the Inverness goal, talk about shooting ourselves in the foot, suppose it seems to be the Ayr United way.

The guys behind me on the North Terrace were absolutely slaughtering Harvie for it as well.  

13 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

I think teams are starting to suss out Shankland, even playing Forrest up-front would make teams less aware of what could strike them.

I still think we played well yesterday and could have scored 2 or 3 on another day with a little bit of luck. Even the Inverness supporters acknowledged this and they are an extremely good yardstick. 

In a nutshell there's no need to start ripping everything up as I'm pretty sure that we'd have beaten almost anyone else in this league with that performance yesterday.

That being said, I'd always have a fit Alan Forrest in my starting line up but of course he's just back from a long time out and we don't want to be rushing him.

For me there were more positives than negatives yesterday and making the play offs, irrespective of position, is all that really matters now, so we can hopefully look forward to Tuesday night and the visit of QOS with a bit more confidence, despite the defeat yesterday.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I still think we played well yesterday and could have scored 2 or 3 on another day with a little bit of luck. Even the Inverness supporters acknowledged this and they are an extremely good yardstick. 

In a nutshell there's no need to start ripping everything up as I'm pretty sure that we'd have beaten almost anyone else in this league with that performance yesterday.

That being said, I'd always have a fit Alan Forrest in my starting line up but of course he's just back from a long time out and we don't want to be rushing him.

For me there were more positives than negatives yesterday and making the play offs, irrespective of position, is all that really matters now, so we can hopefully look forward to Tuesday night and the visit of QOS with a bit more confidence, despite the defeat yesterday.

I thought we played well in the second half yesterday, actually probably the best we've played in a long time. I'm not saying to rip the whole team apart, but to drop Lawrence Shankland and to play Moffat would be a better option IMO.

While yesterday was an improvement on Tuesday we were still pretty meh. The results yesterday don’t really do much damage on our target of making the playoffs however there is not a hope in hell were beating ICT over two legs. 

24 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

The results yesterday don’t really do much damage on our target of making the playoffs however there is not a hope in hell were beating ICT over two legs. 

Yeah, thats my feeling as well. The playoffs could end up being a damp squib if we don't find form fast.

Six minutes into the highlights package kindly posted above...

What in the name of the wee man is wrong with Rooney?

As a  sub, he was lucky to be only booked against County in the recent cup replay and once again last week when he came on, he got himself booked for something ludicrous.

Liability behaviour.

13 minutes ago, sophia said:

Six minutes into the highlights package kindly posted above...

What in the name of the wee man is wrong with Rooney?

As a  sub, he was lucky to be only booked against County in the recent cup replay and once again last week when he came on, he got himself booked for something ludicrous.

Liability behaviour.

In fairness to Rooney, he got a bit of abuse from our North Terracing and took it pretty well and just smiled over at us.

Good to see that in this day and age where everyone seems to lose the plot and chuck the dummy out of the pram.

He definitely went up in my estimation after that and all in all despite our defeat it was a pretty enjoyable and entertaining game of football yesterday.

Archived