Ryan Fraser

MickeyPaul

Ryan Fraser

I think that’s unfair. In March I had a discussion with Ryan. He wasn’t playing at Newcastle and it was better for him to stay there and get himself in the team then he would be selected based on performances for Newcastle. He was injured in the summer so I couldn’t pick him then. Now he’s in the team and performing well at the start of the season and he’s in the squad. He improves the squad.

It’s just a picture. You can always go on the training pitch even though you’ve got an injury. He probably wasn’t training flat out but would have been working towards his recovery. If I wasn’t totally satisfied, he wouldn’t be in the squad.

Steve Clarke

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/21401258.scotland-manager-steve-clarke-explains-newcastle-united-training-photo-ryan-fraser-recall/

Edited by 2426255

Wrong decision IMO. Not just based on the above but generally he's never really delivered in a Scotland jersey and arguably other than that one stellar season at Bournemouth when he was touted for top 6 clubs he's bang average with a crap attitude.

14 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Wrong decision IMO. Not just based on the above but generally he's never really delivered in a Scotland jersey and arguably other than that one stellar season at Bournemouth when he was touted for top 6 clubs he's bang average with a crap attitude.

Not sure this really stands up. He's definitely had anonymous games for us, but he's also dug us out a result a few times with his blistering pace and decent finishing. Questionable attitude aside, he's a first pick in the squad's forward pool IMO.

11 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Ryan Fraser should be a first pick for Scotland

Fraser and McGinn supporting Che Adams 

He’s effectively competing with Christie and Lyndon Dykes for one role IMO (I see Armstrong more as an understudy for McGinn’s position). It’s either a 3-4-2-1 with Christie/Fraser or a 3-4-1-2 with Dykes playing alongside Adams 

27 minutes ago, Donathan said:

He’s effectively competing with Christie and Lyndon Dykes for one role IMO (I see Armstrong more as an understudy for McGinn’s position). It’s either a 3-4-2-1 with Christie/Fraser or a 3-4-1-2 with Dykes playing alongside Adams 

I don't see it quite like that. Ryan Fraser has played a range of roles under Steve Clarke and so could be useful in a number of different ways.

Edited by 2426255

12 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Ryan Fraser should be a first pick for Scotland

Fraser and McGinn supporting Che Adams 

If you had all of our forward players at their absolute best simultaneously, I do think Fraser would probably be first pick alongside McGinn. He is a player than can conjour up moments of magic. He's at the very least worth coming on as a sub.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Christie must be one of the most under-appreciated Scotland players in a long time.

Totally agree. I think people expect him to be dribbling past players and bingoing it into the top corner every time he has the ball and then blame him when he doesnt. Yes, he has that ability and can maybe show a bit more of it and make better decisions, but his work rate is unreal and he is such an important part of how we play.

16 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Used to be Callum McGregor but thankfully most have now realised how important he is for us.

McGregor has improved immensely in the last 2 years or so, a consequence of adapting extremely well to his deeper midfield position, but lets not pretend he wasnt bang average to shite in most of our games before that. Especially considering how good a footballer he has been since breaking through at Celtic.

3 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Totally agree. I think people expect him to be dribbling past players and bingoing it into the top corner every time he has the ball and then blame him when he doesnt. Yes, he has that ability and can maybe show a bit more of it and make better decisions, but his work rate is unreal and he is such an important part of how we play.

McGregor has improved immensely in the last 2 years or so, a consequence of adapting extremely well to his deeper midfield position, but lets not pretend he wasnt bang average to shite in most of our games before that. Especially considering how good a footballer he has been since breaking through at Celtic.

I don't think it's a surprise that McGregor has improved when those around him have immensely improved.  The midfield he has to work with has come a long way since his debut in 2017.

McGregor and Robertson suffer the same nonsense stick that Fletcher did.  One standout player is always going to struggle in a poor side - unless they are a flying winger, striker, or goalkeeper when their game doesn't rely on others as much.

Christie's an important player, no doubt, but I think it's reasonable to want him to produce a bit more with goals and directly creating chances. He can help create in other ways which is why he's useful, but he's been frustrating for a wee while.

His Scotland form after breaking into the Celtic team up until Covid made him look like he'd be the main man for us in an attacking sense, but he's not produced to the same extent while still getting plenty of opportunities to do so. Hopefully he'll get back scoring soon.

Christie must be one of the most under-appreciated Scotland players in a long time.
He did well on Wednesday. Some state in front of me was berating him the other night constantly, even bollocked him for winning that corner we scored the 2nd goal from.

I like that our attacking midfield options are all different types of player. McGinn, Christie, Armstrong, and Fraser can all be one of the guys supporting the striker and are all different, but all contribute