It's getting hot in here!

I watched the wee guy talking in the video. He predicted 40 and possibly as high as 41 with no caveats.

When you watch any weather forecast, the caveat is implied. They are predicting the future, and are obviously not guaranteeing anything. They have a model, and from that model they come up with the most likely outcome, which in this case is 40 degrees.

No prediction is going to be 100% accurate, so if you only wanted them to display things where they were absolutely certain then the map would be blank every single day and there wouldn't be any point in a weather forecast.

If the hottest temperature in England today is 1.3 degrees below the record, surely that demonstrates that the Earth is in fact getting colder, not warmer?  That's the bloody wokes and scientists telt!  

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

If CO2 is the sole driver of the current warming of the climate, then it must be shown firstly what was responsible for previous periods of warming and cooling and also why they do not apply at all here.

Have you been sitting in direct sunlight all day?

38 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You don't think 1.3 degrees below the record is worth putting a warning out for?

That depends on what the record is.

In this case, no, a red warning was not appropriate.

35 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

A forecast is a prediction. They are mutual synonyms. 

Not true.  I can predict who will win the World Cup by looking at the horoscopes of the players.  Highly unlikely to be in any way accurate.

A forecast is where they run several models of weather patterns and identify the common ground in all of them.  Far more likely to be correct.

Edited by Fullerene

Another L on a day of Ls for the Met Office - it's just started raining in an area they claimed had 0% chance of rain
Screenshot_20220718-170358_Weather.thumb.jpg.9c7c759f71e44cd0db0c2cd6af992cea.jpg

This is like claiming the bookies are wrong whenever an outsider wins a sporting event. That's why they're consistently going out of business due to massive losses, I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Not true.  I can predict who will win the World Cup by looking at the horoscopes of the players.  Highly unlikely to be in any way accurate.

A forecast is where they run several models of weather patterns and identify the common ground in all of them.  Far more likely to be correct.

And yet, wrong

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is like claiming the bookies are wrong whenever an outsider wins a sporting event. That's why they're consistently going out of business due to massive losses, I suppose.

I wasn't being entirely serious btw

Temperatures have topped 38C in the heatwave in England. The Met Office said the hottest place at 4pm was Santon Downham, Suffolk, where the mercury hit 38.1C

There is a small chance that somewhere will top that at 17:00 but still it means that we are close to the highest ever temperature recorded in the UK (38.7C) with tomorrow likely to be the warmer day. More worrying tonight may have lows of 24C. This will mean people will struggle to cool over night. UK houses are really not made for this so many will have rooms with much higher temperatures. This is not a huge deal as this is a short burst of heat. But when you get these high lows over extended periods it leads to. a big jump in deaths in the elderly. This can be mitigated as these temperatures are more normal elsewhere but these countries tend to design houses to cool not to retain heat over night, but that will take time and work. 

The impact on transport, work,  schools etc certainly justifies a high warning level. Its the point of introducing these coloured warnings so that people whos role it is to plan for disruption such as managers, head teachers, civil administrators can be alerted to a high risk event. We get this when high warnings for floods, wind or something comes in. IIRC we had a red for wind in February? 

Edited by dorlomin

Met office - There's a 50% chance of 40degrees, watch out for vulnerable people as it'll be a really hot day.

Red tops - it's going to be 40degrees wheey.

It's 38 degrees. 

Yer da - well that's the met office made yet another mistake, 2 degrees off what they said would 100% happen. And in my day we just said go out enjoy the heat. Skin cancer hadn't been invented yet by the libtards yet.

6 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Maybe this is the correct temperature of the earth and last 200,000 years has been too cool.

You ever thought of that you selfish b*****ds?

I hope it is.