It's getting hot in here!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/05/climate-crisis-scientists-spot-warning-signs-of-gulf-stream-collapse?fbclid=IwAR22f6XJqgvUYtIs4l9rYhUWhbPxV1n3ELY1VnxW09sGrAm0kUbkj9qqDvo

The Gulf Stream is slowing down. Think "the day after tomorrow" but without the ending that made it look like a one day event. 

We're pretty fucked.

Absolutely no surprise that this thread on P&B does not get anywhere near as much attention as the regular liars and charlatans that frequent the COVID thread. COVID will eventually die out. Climate change however will not. We are past the time now to save the earth. The 3 or 4 months last year when everything looked bad under COVID was the best time for saving the planet, that chance was not taken and as a result millions will die because of mans ignorant attitude to earth where money is more important than the climate. Finis enim prope est.

Edited by pawpar

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I’m pretty sure if humans cut greenhouse gas emissions the climate will eventually go back to normal. 

The hole in the ozone layer recovered when we stopped using CFCs. (Not Celtic Football Clubs).

That might have worked, too. Worth a try, imho.

Absolutely no surprise that this thread on P&B does not get anywhere near as much attention as the regular liars and charlatans that frequent the COVID thread. COVID will eventually die out. Climate change however will not. We are past the time now to save the earth. The 3 or 4 months last year when everything looked bad under COVID was the best time for saving the planet, that chance was not taken and as a result millions will die because of mans ignorant attitude to earth where money is more important than the climate. Finis enim prope est.

The climate crisis is a million times more terrifying than the covid crisis. Boo hoo, we had to wear masks, we had to stay indoors, we couldn’t go on holiday. All of that is nothing compared to the devastation that lies ahead.

2 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The climate crisis is a million times more terrifying than the covid crisis. Boo hoo, we had to wear masks, we had to stay indoors, we couldn’t go on holiday. All of that is nothing compared to the devastation that lies ahead.

And now the bad news...

IPCC report is 'code red for humanity' if we are going to act then we better get our act together and call out the proper bullshit like Boris saying don't rinse your plates whilst flying about his own country.

The top of my hit list would be private jets, absolutely no need. 

Longer term would be a climate tax on corporations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58130705

IPCC report is 'code red for humanity' if we are going to act then we better get our act together and call out the proper bullshit like Boris saying don't rinse your plates whilst flying about his own country.
The top of my hit list would be private jets, absolutely no need. 
Longer term would be a climate tax on corporations.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58130705

I’m not sure private jets would be top of my list as I’m not convinced private jets are one of the top contributors to rising CO2 emissions. Correct me if I’m wrong though.

On our own patch we should:

- fast track the transition to electric vehicles and make them more affordable to the general public

- rewilding on a massive scale. Huge reforestation programmes of native woodland. A ban on the felling of ancient woodland. The continued restoration of peatland. Rewilding of arable land. A complete change in thinking towards biodiversity and ecology is required.

- reduce our reliance on food exports

- fix our recycling system because it isn’t working

- ban single use plastics

Globally:

- cease all felling of forest, in particular rainforest.

- help poorer countries such as those in Africa to invest in green energy I.e solar.

8 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I’m not sure private jets would be top of my list as I’m not convinced private jets are one of the top contributors to rising CO2 emissions. Correct me if I’m wrong though.

- fast track the transition to electric vehicles and make them more affordable to the general public

- rewilding on a massive scale. Huge reforestation programmes of native woodland. A ban on the felling of ancient woodland. The continued restoration of peatland. Rewilding of arable land. A complete change in thinking towards biodiversity and ecology is required.

- fix our recycling system because it isn’t working

- ban single use plastics

Globally:

- cease all felling of forest, in particular rainforest.

- help poorer countries such as those in Africa to invest in green energy I.e solar.

Private jets would be top of my list because it's just a pen strike and easy to do, they have 10x the impact of a commercial flight and 50x that of a train.

I have to agree with you on single use plastics.

I feel we should change our planning laws to mean that all new build houses are installed with solar panels and electric vehicle charging points and flats should have charging points if there is allocated parking.

As a continent Africa could be a huge power producer with its solar capabilities would be great if the UN could help the union of Africa unlock that and share the wealth equally, that of course will have its own problems. 

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

Sure I read recently that 7% of human controllable co2 emissions were down to the manufacture & use of cement, time to go round to @Melanius Mullarkeys gaff with the flaming torches the planet murdering b*****d that he is.

That's the least of the reasons why such actions are overdue

4 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Sure I read recently that 7% of human controllable co2 emissions were down to the manufacture & use of cement, time to go round to @Melanius Mullarkeys gaff with the flaming torches the planet murdering b*****d that he is.

You know that as soon as a flaming torch reaches within 0.5km of my gaff, the wife will be out lighting  a Marlboro Superstrength Superking off it.  So if that's a risk you're willing to take so be it.

8 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Especially when there are more friendly alternatives.

Is it standard practice that concrete is made in part from the waste from power stations?

38 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Standard, mutually contradictory gesture politics from the neo-Malthusian Green lobby. 

1 minute ago, 101 said:

You can grow food on brown field sites or increase the productivity of arable land...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/article/holland-agriculture-sustainable-farming

That article is behind a subscriber wall but the idea that The Netherlands is a role model for both sustainable farming and the rewilding fetish that the Green lobby are also pursuing is laughable to anyone who has actually been there. 

We could indeed increase productivity of land by using lots of pesticides or simply scrapping the completely irrational ban on GM crop technology, but you won't find the (mainstream) Green movement backing either of those.

The people who end up having to pay for all these utterly stupid gesture politics are the poor in society with massively increased food insecurity. Which has never been a problem for the Malthusians, nor indeed the middle classes jumping on the Green bandwagon.