It's getting hot in here!

Every bitcoin transaction needs to be verified. In traditional finance this is done centrally by visa or whomever. In decentralised finance it's verified by special users on the system called nodes.

Which node gets to verify the transaction? Just allocate it at random, right? The problem is that it's very easy to suddenly set up billions of virtual nodes and take control of the system, stealing everyone's assets.

To get around this bitcoin uses a system called proof of work. Each node must prove its legitimacy by solving a complex problem. The work required to do this makes it nigh on impossible for any one actor to have undue influence as it takes a lot of energy.

If your node does the work then it does the small task of verifying the transaction. As a reward for all this effort, the system gives you a fraction of a newly minted bitcoin.

With the exponential expansion of bitcoin people have realised this is a bit of an issue and neither virtuous nor scalable, so other coins use different systems which use a tiny amount of the energy proof of work does.

Hope that's clear enough!

8 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Every bitcoin transaction needs to be verified. In traditional finance this is done centrally by visa or whomever. In decentralised finance it's verified by special users on the system called nodes.

Which node gets to verify the transaction? Just allocate it at random, right? The problem is that it's very easy to suddenly set up billions of virtual nodes and take control of the system, stealing everyone's assets.

To get around this bitcoin uses a system called proof of work. Each node must prove its legitimacy by solving a complex problem. The work required to do this makes it nigh on impossible for any one actor to have undue influence as it takes a lot of energy.

If your node does the work then it does the small task of verifying the transaction. As a reward for all this effort, the system gives you a fraction of a newly minted bitcoin.

With the exponential expansion of bitcoin people have realised this is a bit of an issue and neither virtuous nor scalable, so other coins use different systems which use a tiny amount of the energy proof of work does.

You could've to typed that in Russian and I'd have understood about as much of it. Bit thank you for taking time to reply!

31 minutes ago, RH33 said:

You could've to typed that in Russian and I'd have understood about as much of it. Bit thank you for taking time to reply!

Mining bitcoin is like solving a very complicated riddle, it takes an enormous amount of processing power, whole warehouses full of computers whirring away, and then you have to keep them cool. It uses an vast amount of electricity. 

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm going to change my vote on the Illusory Superiority on P&B thread...

2 hours ago, WhiteLight said:

China has the largest net output of renewable energy on the planet by far in producing over a third of the worlds “green” energy.

China produces the largest overall total of carbon emissions, but The US has the highest net output of carbon emissions phop on the planet. The US remains dash for coal to create jobs and are not party to international agreement. They do make up their own rules of course.

In their drive to provide electricity to every home in their ten year plan, China was sold (ripped off) old coal fired technology by the big 5 western IP holders. I worked for one of them and our design was used in 50% of new generating capacity, which equalled  a quarter of the worlds generating capacity.

Since then they have moved on at great pace developing world leading renewable technology with the planet’s single biggest green energy output.

We fucked over the Chinese in the beginning, probably to mutual suitability at the time, but they came back with a vengeance and now the world leaders in green technology.

We are too blinded by greed to learn. Turning an easy buck is our God, whilst government very badly try to convince us all they are “green”, when what they really mean is greenback!

Interesting info, cheers for that. Goes without saying that the US are right up there in the cuntage stakes, I would have put the Danes as World leaders especially in Wind but was aware that China are very strong in Solar especially.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Mining bitcoin is like solving a very complicated riddle, it takes an enormous amount of processing power, whole warehouses full of computers whirring away, and then you have to keep them cool. It uses an vast amount of electricity. 

I knee took computers and cooking them, that I get.

I just don't get what they're doing lol

20 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I have no fucking clue what's going on here. Mining something something. Weather. Computers. 

I much prefer another kinda mining ....

• 3 weeks later...