It's getting hot in here!

15 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Just I mind you talking about that a few months ago, but you always seem really concerned about environmental issues. Wondering how you square those two things 

He also eats meat, flies on planes & drives a car.

8 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

As much as I hate to agree with GordonS, that meme does work pretty well in this scenario.

I mean I guess, tbh I thought it was directed at you but there we go! Like those are all pretty standard parts of a western lifestyle that can be pretty easily mitigated by just doing it less. Buying crypto to me seems a bit more like buying shares in BP but could be wrong. Wasn't meaning to have a dig just genuinely interested as most folk I know who are environmentally conscious wouldn't touch it with a bargepole 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan
Eta those being eating meat, driving etc

Just now, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I mean I guess, tbh I thought it was directed at you but there we go! Like those are all pretty standard parts of a western lifestyle that can be pretty easily mitigated by just doing it less. Buying crypto to me seems a bit more like buying shares in BP but could be wrong. Wasn't meaning to have a dig just genuinely interested as most folk I know who are environmentally conscious wouldn't touch it with a bargepole 

Why would it be directed at me when I haven’t criticised anyone regarding climate change, or attempt to highlight apparent hypocrisy? 

I’ve heard that blockchain technology is very energy-intensive but don’t know much about it if I’m honest. 

1 minute ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Why would it be directed at me when I haven’t criticised anyone regarding climate change, or attempt to highlight apparent hypocrisy? 

I’ve heard that blockchain technology is very energy-intensive but don’t know much about it if I’m honest. 

By responding to someone saying "don't buy crypto" with "here are some other things people do that are bad for the environment". As usual with big Gordo, because he's in the huff with half the forum and refusing to speak to them unless to say they're on his blocklist, it's a bit hard to see who he's talking to.

Aye I cannae mind the exact stats but the energy required to mine a coin is pretty wild. 

3 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

By responding to someone saying "don't buy crypto" with "here are some other things people do that are bad for the environment". As usual with big Gordo, because he's in the huff with half the forum and refusing to speak to them unless to say they're on his blocklist, it's a bit hard to see who he's talking to.

Aye I cannae mind the exact stats but the energy required to mine a coin is pretty wild. 

Ah, I see what you’re saying. Apologies, I didn’t mean it in that way.

Crypto is the most mindbogglingly stupid excuse for pumping carbon into the atmosphere, flying places doesn't come anywhere near. The stat I heard was the entire electricity consumption of Argentina per annum, it's probably double that now.

Lol not at all, I'm not even calling you a hypocrite. Like honestly just wondering, you do you man

Fair enough.

For the record, yes I do own crypto but not a lot all, well below a grand. I think it’s fairly irrelevant though and I’m happy to be proved wrong.

We can’t go vilifying folk because they deal with crypto or they drive cars, or they fly abroad on holiday. In the grand scheme of things it’s a drop in the ocean. I do think we all have a responsibility to try and cut our own carbon emissions in our day to day lives - ultimately however, tragically, this will never be enough as long as the big corporations continue to milk this planet for all its worth - and governments continue to pussy foot around the issue.

The people at the top could change everything overnight if they wanted to, but they won’t until it’s too late. We will continue along this path of destruction, celebrating “victories” along the way such as banning plastic straws, until we realise we’ve completely fucked the planet.