It's getting hot in here!

3 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I care about my kids and any kids they might have but I couldn't give a hoot about humanity in 2100+  

If they haven't had kids already it's highly likely they will live to beyond 2100.

• 1 month later...

This to me seems like a bad idea as surely it will mean vehicles spend longer in the areas with the worst pollution. I don't think most modern cars will be much more efficient at 60 rather than 70 and it may mean that people avoid the slower roads and add to congestion on the roads keeping the 70 limit.

Screenshot_20200912-145416.jpg

47 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

1st November:

"Highways England is to be scrapped and replaced with a new body. Lady Dildo Harling, a relative of Dominic Cummings, will chair the new body. Lady Dildo, whose husband runs the lobby group 'Let Us Drive as Fast as we Fucking Want' says she will leave no stone unturned to get the country moving."

Sounds a bit close to what those pesky Germans have, how about delimiting roads with houses on them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/10/2020 at 09:12, MixuFruit said:

Not directly related to GW but still very impressive numbers in this article about improving air quality in London. Most promising is it doesn't include the lockdown period where emissions.would have gone even lower. I used to dread going to London as I'd get asthma like symptoms from the pollution but I have to say when I was down in January it was noticeably easier to breathe. Good guy Sadiq Khan.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/03/dramatic-plunge-in-london-air-pollution-since-2016-report-finds

I noticed that when I was back a couple of years ago. In the Nineties, you'd feel utterly grotty after a summer's day spent roaming around the city - not so much now, and I didn't get the allergy problems that I used to have either.

5 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Crazy lip service. There are mutual funds with more cash invested in green projects than this.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Fuckin hell how much time did lobbying like this cost us

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1313365580603371521

@Stellaboz, this is the sort of shit we were talking about earlier.

5 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I want to murder this man. Brutally and slowly, for that's what we're all going to get in a few years. 

Scum like him shouldn't be an issue, but like I said, sadly one of the biggest problems is that political regimes like his and that of his party are popular, and sadly seem to be quite popular globally. They're driven purely by profit, short term at that, and don't give a shit about the looming and ever quickening environmental disaster coming. As long as they can make money today, they don't care about the consequences of tomorrow.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Scum like him shouldn't be an issue, but like I said, sadly one of the biggest problems is that political regimes like his and that of his party are popular, and sadly seem to be quite popular globally. They're driven purely by profit, short term at that, and don't give a shit about the looming and ever quickening environmental disaster coming. As long as they can make money today, they don't care about the consequences of tomorrow.

Short term profit over the literal future of our race. 

Think about that for a whole minute. We actually deserve to die out if  this is the best that we can do. We've been responsible for countless species extinctions when we should be preserving and taking care of everyone and everything on this planet. Our (Earth's) biodiversity is what made it so successful. 

Instead we're throwing our rubbish into the sea, dumping it into our lakes, rivers and continue to pump masses of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, destroying an incredibly powerful defence against the sun's harmful rays. We're digging up the land with no care for tomorrow. 

I truly, truly despise what we are and hate my own contribution towards it. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Peak oil is past?

image.png.ed529cb2a782a9816f36eb889bdf8a7f.png

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020-peak-oil-era-is-suddenly-upon-us/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

I thought this plot was interesting, given I'm very sceptical about Tesla vs other EV manufacturers.

image.png.218ce7e9845d3165e12158ca5b08302a.png

This would be excellent news, I know more people in my generation don't drive than do drive and very few have their own car which will obviously help. As a country I still don't think we are anywhere near the infrastructure we need to be all new builds for instance don't have EV charging points in their drive way, why not?

I think air travel will rebound in 2021 and grow thereafter and of course they are now more fuel efficient than ever I still think they are a big problem. A big win will be cruise ships losing their appeal and I can't see them making as big a come back in the future which is good because they are horrifically inefficient.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2020 at 11:20, 101 said:

This would be excellent news, I know more people in my generation don't drive than do drive and very few have their own car which will obviously help. As a country I still don't think we are anywhere near the infrastructure we need to be all new builds for instance don't have EV charging points in their drive way, why not?

We need to change everything IMO, not just the way we power cars. Making all cars electric obviously helps with petrol/diesel pollution but you're still charging them from a grid that isn't powered by clean energy. If everyone stopped using petrol and started charging tomorrow that'd be a huge increase in electrical usage that the grid would need to cope with. I watched a documentary called "Planet of the Humans" which opened my eyes a bit to just how many problems we've got changing the energy we use. I don't know how we fix it.