2019/20 League Cup

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should just get rid of regionalisation imo, pretty easy to schedule it so each team gets one midweek away game maximum and even with regionalisation there's some pretty hefty trips in the North section. 

Looking forward to playing Airdrie for the 4th time out of 5 next year...

2 hours ago, realmadrid said:

The only date would be the Wednesday after the group games. 

With final sliding backward every year - it's now second Sunday in December - another option could be returning to a Feb/Mar final giving plenty time (Last 16 could also return midweek).

I'd even go as far as to have the top 3 qualify to an intermediate round. With the seeding and regionalising the groups are already feeling a bit stale and 12 of 40 progressing doesn't help.

3 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Now that we totally messed it up this year , I feel I can post this without it looking like I was trying to keep Saints in the cup

Would it not be an idea to have all the second place teams play each other in a round of games this midweek (top 4 at home to one of the bottom 4) as there can be an imbalance in the sections . Credit to Forfar for making it from a group with 2 premiership teams where as some groups had no premiership teams in them.

If that two group 'imbalance' is so important then you could just make the promoted Premiership side a top seed and kick relegated dung like Dundee into pot 2 to begin with; anything else that crops up is plain luck of the draw. I really don't see what is to be gained by having another card of semi-meaningful games either, that in practice would just hand yet another chance for the top seeds to eventually get their act together and slither into the last 16 for more Kilmarnock v Hamilton thrillers.

11 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'd even go as far as to have the top 3 qualify to an intermediate round.

That sounds absolutely fucking abysmal tbh. A guaranteed procession for pretty much all the big teams would kill most of the interest in this round.

7 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Now that we totally messed it up this year , I feel I can post this without it looking like I was trying to keep Saints in the cup

Would it not be an idea to have all the second place teams play each other in a round of games this midweek (top 4 at home to one of the bottom 4) as there can be an imbalance in the sections . Credit to Forfar for making it from a group with 2 premiership teams where as some groups had no premiership teams in them.

4 winners then join the 8 group winners and the European teams in the last 16.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

If that two group 'imbalance' is so important then you could just make the promoted Premiership side a top seed and kick relegated dung like Dundee into pot 2 to begin with; anything else that crops up is plain luck of the draw. I really don't see what is to be gained by having another card of semi-meaningful games either, that in practice would just hand yet another chance for the top seeds to eventually get their act together and slither into the last 16

I have some sympathy for both these points of view to be honest. Any scenario with a best runner up option always runs the risk of imbalance. Not just with one group having two Premier sides in it. Three groups had two Championship sides in and obviously one group had Berwick, which enabled cricket scores to be run up (though Ayr still managed to make a backside if it). 

However, the best runner up qualification is really just giving a 2nd go to 4 teams who didnt win their group anyway. It is however likely that the smaller teams sneaking 2nd are likely to be the ones with low GD's following tight wins over bigger teams. 

I can see both points. The main irritation is the significant difference in prize money for those 2nd and getting through compared yo 2nd and going out. 

Personally my main gripe is that whilst it hasnt yet been an issue, thats two years running now that the last game being held over for live tv on the sunday has meant that both teams not only knew what the had to do, but had an ability to carve out a result to suit them both. Credit to Hearts last year and Dundee this for getting results to eliminate the opposition even when they didnt need to but yhey shouldnt be in a position where they can. All the final group games should be played at the same time (I appreciate that still means 8 teams have finished their games before then). I cant imagine the prospect of Dundee v ICT on telly would seriously have kept many away from attending a game.

Should we ever get to the position of having 5 teams in Europe then it would only be the 3 best runners up who qualified so the play off round would not work anyway . they may in that case have a play off between the Highland and lowland league runners up for the extra place in the group stage but knowing the SPFL they will probably go for the colts of the European teams and then say they cannot progress past the group stage!

15 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

With final sliding backward every year - it's now second Sunday in December - another option could be returning to a Feb/Mar final giving plenty time (Last 16 could also return midweek).

Having the final before Christmas is vital to keeping the competition relevant in my view.

There were a number of seasons when there were 3 months between the quarter finals and the semi finals which was far too long.

12 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Personally my main gripe is that whilst it hasnt yet been an issue, thats two years running now that the last game being held over for live tv on the sunday has meant that both teams not only knew what the had to do, but had an ability to carve out a result to suit them both. Credit to Hearts last year and Dundee this for getting results to eliminate the opposition even when they didnt need to but yhey shouldnt be in a position where they can. All the final group games should be played at the same time (I appreciate that still means 8 teams have finished their games before then).  I cant imagine the prospect of Dundee v ICT on telly would seriously have kept many away from attending a game.

It's not just TV that's caused the final round of group games to be at different times. 

In the first season, the SPFL scheduled the fixtures such that Dundee and Dundee Utd were both at home in that final round, shunting the latter (vs. Dunfermline) to Sunday. They did also schedule Inverness v Arbroath in the same group for the Sunday...but that, of course, was only half the problem. It was one of those laugh or cry moments the SPFL so frequently provides: they made sure both games in each group kicked off at the same time, while somehow forgetting about the best runners-up race. 

There is also nothing stopping BT showing games on Saturdays at 3pm because the blackout only comes into force at the start of the league season. Indeed, they did in the first three seasons of the new format.  For some reason, they didn't bother doing so this season. 

28 minutes ago, The Master said:

It's not just TV that's caused the final round of group games to be at different times. 

In the first season, the SPFL scheduled the fixtures such that Dundee and Dundee Utd were both at home in that final round, shunting the latter (vs. Dunfermline) to Sunday. They did also schedule Inverness v Arbroath in the same group for the Sunday...but that, of course, was only half the problem. It was one of those laugh or cry moments the SPFL so frequently provides: they made sure both games in each group kicked off at the same time, while somehow forgetting about the best runners-up race. 

There is also nothing stopping BT showing games on Saturdays at 3pm because the blackout only comes into force at the start of the league season. Indeed, they did in the first three seasons of the new format.  For some reason, they didn't bother doing so this season. 

Yep, conscious of that. That was my point really. There's no need for them to hold games over to the Sunday so why do it. It's asking for trouble and I'd have been seriously p'd off as an East Fife fan had that game on Sunday ended a draw.

2 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Having the final before Christmas is vital to keeping the competition relevant in my view.

There were a number of seasons when there were 3 months between the quarter finals and the semi finals which was far too long.

Playing it in mid-December is hardly ideal and it may even have to be a Saturday lunchtime this season (if Celtic reach CL groups and have Tuesday game the following midweek).

Playing it in mid-December also creates a small risk of weather putting the Final off - or significantly disrupting transport - and if that ever happens it'll probably be the end of it.

So it's a balance of competing priorities and risks, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Very tough draw for us but nothing to lose here, and home advantage evens up the playing field slightly, they wont fancy it on our pitch.

Same for both teams, no?  Plus we put away both Killy and East Fife on their shite Axminsters.

How are your mob doing anyway?  Results are uninspiring.  You must be missing Halkett.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Same for both teams, no?  Plus we put away both Killy and East Fife on their shite Axminsters.

How are your mob doing anyway?  Results are uninspiring.  You must be missing Halkett.

Undefeated this season, creating plenty and starting to score a couple of goals a game, but also making silly mistakes to let teams back into it against us. Still the same hard working in your face midfielders though, and look a wee bit stronger up front too.

Play you at Ibrox 9 or 10 days before this game, which I reckon will be good for us. Sevco will beat us by 2 or 3 goals there, completely underestimate us going into the cup game and be unprepared for how much harder it'll be playing us there.

4 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Play you at Ibrox 9 or 10 days before this game, which I reckon will be good for us. Sevco will beat us by 2 or 3 goals there, completely underestimate us going into the cup game and be unprepared for how much harder it'll be playing us there.

Under Ally, Pedro and Murty you'd have been right but Stevie G doesn't do 'underestimating'.  I reckon he doesn't even allow any of his weans to beat him at tiddliwinks.

Archived