2019/20 League Cup

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

pretty sure it didn't take too long last year

Just had a quick check, draw seemed to be made on 25 May 2018 with the fixtures released on 4 June 2018. Fixtures also previously out on 6 June 2017 and 2 June 2016, 

So I'm sure it'll be sometime next week.

36 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Must be a 2 in 3 chance, if that's a thing, of visiting Palmerston then, presuming Morton are the second seeds and will visit Fir Park?

Just think, Palmerston in the League Cup, then a trip to Montrose in the Scottish Cup, job done.

Does this include the Elgins, Annans, Peterhead, and Edinburgh City?  What about Cove?

When I said "Traditional", I was alluding to the teams/grounds that were about in the league in the Mid-80's when I started going - so pre-league expansion & pyramid - so not the full set that is there currently. I have been to Annan, we played Ed City at Spartans and I have been to (and really liked) Borough Briggs - but not to see 'Well. Peterhead & Cove will need to wait for Scottish cup now that the early league cup is restricted to southern teams for us now.

I'm not a ground hopper or anything like that but I've always gone to away games (especially in the cups), so I've just ticked most of them off over the years despite us being in the top league since I started going - its just that we've never been drawn at Palmerston or Links Park in all that time.

I think out of the known fixtures, only Hearts v Dundee Utd can be seen as a stick-on.

It then wouldn't surprise me if the four other initial fixtures are both of Hearts and Hibs away games.

54 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

all im saying is don't kill the messenger.i pray im a false prophet:shutup

hold on, youre a saints fan!!!!

It just wouldn't be a good choice for the tv.

Games from non-Premiership grounds with chance of an upset are better. e.g. Queens v Motherwell, Partick or Airdrie v Accies, or Clyde v Thistle, Cove or Rovers v Dundee.

Ross County or us beating each other isn't going to be that interesting for a neutral when we're about to play each other 3-4 times in the league.

Just had a proper look at group F, that's a belter!

32 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It just wouldn't be a good choice for the tv.

Games from non-Premiership grounds with chance of an upset are better. e.g. Queens v Motherwell, Partick or Airdrie v Accies, or Clyde v Thistle, Cove or Rovers v Dundee.

Ross County or us beating each other isn't going to be that interesting for a neutral when we're about to play each other 3-4 times in the league.

Just had a proper look at group F, that's a belter!

that's you talking like a football supporter

unfortunately telly types tend to think different to us decent folk

Guest DAVIDB69

How is the split of the fixtures I know top seed is home to second seed but what is the rest of them

2 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

In the first two years there seemed to be a set pattern based on the overall finishing positions the year prior, but last year it was more random other than 1 being at home to 2.

Pretty sure it was the same pattern with the exception of some TV games that were moved from one round to another to suit the broadcasters. 

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

Pretty sure it was the same pattern with the exception of some TV games that were moved from one round to another to suit the broadcasters. 

No, there was no set pattern.

Just one example: in Group A, Ross County were at home to Elgin City (lowest-ranked unseeded team) while in Group B St Johnstone were at home to East Fife (third-lowest unseeded team ahead of Forfar and Montrose). 

25 minutes ago, The Master said:

No, there was no set pattern.

Just one example: in Group A, Ross County were at home to Elgin City (lowest-ranked unseeded team) while in Group B St Johnstone were at home to East Fife (third-lowest unseeded team ahead of Forfar and Montrose). 

The pattern had nothing to do with 'rankings' at any point but rather the order in which the diddies were drawn. For Morton (second seed, so automatically 2), the fixtures have on every occasion so far been home v 3 and 5, away to 1 (top seed) and 4 based on the order of the group. 

In every season but last we also played 4 away on the opening day and the top seed away on the middle Saturday; last time we played top seed Partick away on the previous midweek instead. 

TV games

Hearts v Dundee Utd
Elgin v Hibs
St Johnstone v Ross County
Dundee v Inverness
Motherwell v Morton
St Mirren v Dunfermline

First one and one of Hibs away games were stick ons. Rest are a bit meh.

Two free Saturdays out of three and Annan away punted to a Tuesday night, all to accommodate TV coverage of Motherwell's latest shooty-in against us. Worst fixture list ever.

Image result for seething gif Image result for seething gif Image result for seething gif

Archived