Players over £100,000

1 hour ago, Estragon said:

Someone should make a film about Hibs 2013/14 season, maybe with an epilogue of the #2016scf.  It was a diet banter years squashed into a seven month period.

On topic, I'm sure Killie paid £100k for Manuel Pascali.  Worth it IMO.  I've a feeling we paid a fee for Craig Dargo in 2000, although not sure of the amount.

According to Wiki he was a free transfer.

Saints first spent £100,000 with signing of Gary McGinnis from Dundee United in early 1990. Alex Totten would go on to spend six figures a further six times in straight deals before his departure in December 1992:
  • John Inglis (Meadowbank Thistle) - £115,000
  • Tommy Turner (Morton) - £100,000 
  • John Davies (Clydebank) - £165,000
  • Paul Sweeney (Newcastle United) - £100,000
  • Paul Wright (Hibernian) - £285,000
  • Sean McAuley (Manchester United) - £100,000
Club record was set in January 1994 when £500,000 was spent on Dundee pair Billy Dodds and Grant McMartin. The former was valued at £400,000.
The last instance of the club spending six figures was the signing of Peter McDonald from Rangers for £125,000 in August 2001.

Add to this Paddy Connolly, who I am sure cost £165,000 from Airdrie.

John Inglis was a great defender and a right sexy b*****d as well, can’t remember exactly but did something happen with him and David Murray’s wife/girlfriend??

Paul Wright was one of my favourite players. At one stage I remember going to Raith and we had Wright, O’Boyle and, I think, Dodds as our front three. Wright blew his knees out soon after and don’t think he was ever the same.

I liked John Davies. Two Celtic managers got sacked after he scored the winner against them at McDiarmid - Macari and Brady????

Tommy Turner was an absolute b*****d and must have been horrible to play against but he was loved by the support.

I am about 60% sure about these memories - feels like a long time ago...

26 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

According to Wiki he was a free transfer.

Well, like I say everytime it disproves my half-remembered myths from 20 years ago, Wikipedia must be WRONG!  :angry:

2 hours ago, Estragon said:

Also, Motherwell bought Shaun McSkimming from us for £300k in the 90s.  The player signed up for our #TB4 bros in order to win some medals.  During his time at FP, Kilmarnock won the Scottish Cup, Motherwell won nothing.

Hard lines Shaun.

Can we not just pretend the whole Shaun McSkimming thing didn’t happen?

1 hour ago, JamieThomas said:

We paid Dundee 200k for Craig Wighton, which is just jose.png to the power of infinity.

If that figure is correct, then that is absolutely ridiculous and Levein should have been punted immediately, sentenced to 12 years in jail and given a lifetime ban from football.

3 hours ago, Estragon is a fud said:

Was it just clubs spending what they couldn't actually afford or has this much wealth really disappeared from our game?

I think there is a direct correlation between the amount spent on transfer fees in the 90's and the number of clubs that went into administration in the first decade or so of the 21'st century.  Essentially a bunch of club chairmen were drinking the same Kool-aid as David Murray was at Rangers and throwing money around that they didn't really have assuming Sky would continue to fund the SPL, when the same chairmen made a complete arse of renegotiating the Sky deal from 2002 onwards it all went tits up

It sounds more of a bizarre nightmare than reality but I'm sure, typical of our financial mismanagement at that time, Killie paid somewhere in the region of £150k for 32/33 year old Andy Smith who went on to score a full 1 goal for us.

Guest Moomintroll
On behalf of Aberdeen FC , can we play our Joker here ?
If you are about to play the P B card then you win.

2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
8 minutes ago, A96 said:

I expected the R W card.

16 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
22 minutes ago, A96 said:

PB was good value for money compared to a good few others we’ve signed over the years

9 minutes ago, Blue-Toon said:

How could I forget ?

I think it was actually the transfer fee of £700K plus Billy Doods , who we could probably have got several hundred thousand for , at that time.

Thank you , Alex Miller ....thanks a fvkkin million