English Premier League 2019-20

7 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

He’s absolutely awful. Arsenal such a much better team without him. Even with 10 men.

The fans (or some of them anyway) seem to love him and disliked Wenger (at the end) and  Emery for not playing him. I Could never understand  why, he’s a lazy b*****d that mainly contributes nothing. 

Edited by Jambomo

Just me that thinks regardless of attempting to play the ball or not that a penalty AND a red card is bollocks? It’s not denying a goal scoring opportunity if they still get a penalty. I understand if it’s outside the box but a penalty is still a Lear goal scoring opportunity so a red card on top is double punishment it seems. It’s also completely killed this game.
The easy solution to that is not to deliberately foul players inside the box.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
13 hours ago, RossDee01 said:
Just me that thinks regardless of attempting to play the ball or not that a penalty AND a red card is bollocks? It’s not denying a goal scoring opportunity if they still get a penalty. I understand if it’s outside the box but a penalty is still a Lear goal scoring opportunity so a red card on top is double punishment it seems. It’s also completely killed this game.

And of course in some cases a penalty is less of a clear goalscoring opportunity, e.g. a defender making a save on the line or completely wiping someone out as they're about to tap into an empty net. 

Obviously not all are like that, but you'd then be looking at defining different levels of "obvious". It's already been made bad enough trying to determine whether or not there was a "genuine" attempt to play the ball. 

That’s what we said though they could incorporate a rule whereby if the resulting penalty is scored the red card is changed to a yellow and if it’s missed the red card stands. I don’t think you can say that David Luiz deliberately fouled last night despite the fact that it was a clear penalty.

And of course in some cases a penalty is less of a clear goalscoring opportunity, e.g. a defender making a save on the line or completely wiping someone out as they're about to tap into an empty net. 
Obviously not all are like that, but you'd then be looking at defining different levels of "obvious". It's already been made bad enough trying to determine whether or not there was a "genuine" attempt to play the ball. 

I think they've set the rule (and apply it) fairly well.
Has there been many occasions other than last night where there's been a disputed genuine/non genuine challenge? Everyone just seems accept the refs decision most of the time now as the rule's set fairly leniently for the defender.

Liverpool have as many points from their 22 matches this season as Man Utd and Arsenal have from their 47 matches combined. They have as many wins as Chelsea in 4th and Man Utd in 5th combined.
This season is mental.

Will be interesting to see how Liverpool respond next season. I could be wrong, but seem to recall Dortmund when Klopp was manger winning the league and then almost following it up with relegation the next season. If they can go unbeaten until the end of the season they’ve pretty much completed football with a CL, World Cup and invincible season wishing the space of 12 months.

You are wrong. After winning his first Bundesliga title he won it again the next year, then responded with back to back runners-up spots. Lowest he finished with them was 7th in his final season, which was enough to qualify for Europe.

Just looked it up, they must have gone on a run towards the end of the season as after 18 games that season they were bottom of the league with 16 points.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2940991/amp/Borussia-Dortmund-slumped-Champions-League-finalists-rock-bottom-Bundesliga-gone-wrong-Jurgen-Klopp-men.html

Do Mesut Ozil's family ring up Arsenal's training ground occasionally to check he's still playing for them? Or still alive? What is he still doing there 6/7 years after leaving Real Madrid?

30 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Will be interesting to see how Liverpool respond next season. I could be wrong, but seem to recall Dortmund when Klopp was manger winning the league and then almost following it up with relegation the next season. If they can go unbeaten until the end of the season they’ve pretty much completed football with a CL, World Cup and invincible season wishing the space of 12 months.

he won 2 in a row with dortmund and in the second part of the 2 in a row im sure he won the german cup as well,  the following season they reached CL final, they only really burnt out after several players leaving for bayern.

Edited by DanMc99

That wasn't the season after they won the league, though.

Yes, I was mistaken with that part, they finished 2nd. Still, quite a drastic fall but I’m not suggesting that will happen to Liverpool. Just saying it will be interesting in terms of motivation etc because what else can they achieve if they go this season unbeaten?

he won 2 in a row with dortmund and in the second part of the 2 in a row im sure he won the german cup as well,  the following season they reached CL final, they only really burnt out after several players leaving for bayern.

Yeah I thought they won the league before the season where they were bottom half way through but they finished 2nd. Can’t say I’m a massive follower of German football.

I was having this discussion the other day. Not questioning the players attitude, but i wonder if they achieve the aim of champions league last year and premier title this year, might there be a drop off in performances due to burnout at the start of next season.