English Premier League 2019-20

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:
19 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:
Agreed Panda. 
I’m quite happy with the outcome of that late call today but was never keen for it. It’s causing more problems than we had before with the 3 officials out there making all the calls on the spot.  

Out of interest, what's it like being at games with VAR?

Pretty confusing accie. Even away in Porto we got a text message saying Mane’s opening goal was onside before it was announced in ground. It’s creating more confusion and argument than ever. 

The funniest thing of the whole VAR thing in City Spurs game is the look on Aguero's face.  Not for the first time he behaves like a KUNt while being replaced. He's then savvy/sneaky enough to start hugging Pep after Jesus scores the "winner"  only for the goal to be disallowed by VAR.

Tremendous stuff :lol:

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

3 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

I suppose it all comes down to personal preference, but I feel that having the VAR empowers match referees in making difficult/controversial calls...

that's what it should be used for - to make those difficult calls, at the request of the referee when they feel that they cannot make a decision because their line of sight was blocked, or that something is too close to call without checking - I'd have no problem with that

intervention 'after the fact' to highlight shit that no-one has even considered might have any bearing on proceedings it absolute cuntery and will smother the life out of the game; they should bin the 'every goal is reviewed' bollocks to do away with that BUT they should throw in two queries per team, per match, so whiney turds still get to have what they think may be a duff call checked out if they think it's a blatant enough error; this would have the added benefit of showing up ignorant fucks who do not know the laws of the game which would be genuinely amusing; having goals called back for the sort of bollocks that cost city the game s'afternoon cannot be of any benefit to the game whatsoever

A second howler in 2 games from Adrian. The coverage after the Super Cup about him was bizarre, Sky and Liverpool seemed to be making out like he was some kind of hero despite costing Liverpool the win in extra-time by diving in and conceding a needless penalty. His only contribution was to illegally save a penalty that I could have saved. Today speaks for itself. If Allison is out for any length of time they will have real issues.

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

A second howler in 2 games from Adrian. The coverage after the Super Cup about him was bizarre, Sky and Liverpool seemed to be making out like he was some kind of hero despite costing Liverpool the win in extra-time by diving in and conceding a needless penalty. His only contribution was to illegally save a penalty that I could have saved. Today speaks for itself. If Allison is out for any length of time they will have real issues.

He also made a number of good saves in both games. He made 2 in the first half today at 0-0 but also twice got caught trying to pass it out the 2nd he was punished for. Especially being a late free transfer it was a great story during the week and hopefully the  coverage will do him a lot of good confidence wise. 

Long one down to the south coast today and coming off the back off the Super Cup on Wednesday night was worried about this one. Fabinho, Gomez and Henderson didn’t start but it was still a very strong side Klopp was able to put out. 

Liverpool certainly rode their luck a bit today but in the end 2 quality finishes from Mane and Firmino were the difference. Adrian made an arse of the Ings goal late on and made it a nervy ending but he made 2 excellent saves in the first half to stop Liverpool from going behind and another after half time from a deflected shot. 

So 6 points out of 6 to start with coming off the back of such a disjointed pre-season and with the Charity Shield and  Super Cup got to be delighted. Man City and Spurs both dropping points a bonus also. 

The Southampton support has always had a bit of a roaster element and it all got too much for some today with the Champions of Europe chants :lol:. Counted 7 who saw the red mist and were ejected by the stewards / police.  The fume is real. 

A2CF558E-ACBE-412C-955B-9B27FB5C9B7C.jpeg

26B41BD5-DC47-40EB-8D7B-D79048B42C1B.jpeg

7B09FD3C-2E33-4369-AE99-CE124A8C2359.jpeg

6 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Long one down to the south coast today and coming off the back off the Super Cup on Wednesday night was worried about this one. Fabinho, Gomez and Henderson didn’t start but it was still a very strong side Klopp was able to put out. 

Liverpool certainly rode their luck a bit today but in the end 2 quality finishes from Mane and Firmino were the difference. Adrian made an arse of the Ings goal late on and made it a nervy ending but he made 2 excellent saves in the first half to stop Liverpool from going behind and another after half time from a deflected shot. 

So 6 points out of 6 to start with coming off the back of such a disjointed pre-season and with the Charity Shield and  Super Cup got to be delighted. Man City and Spurs both dropping points a bonus also. 

The Southampton support has always had a bit of a roaster element and it all got too much for some today with the Champions of Europe chants :lol:. Counted 7 who saw the red mist and were ejected by the stewards / police.  The fume is real. 

A2CF558E-ACBE-412C-955B-9B27FB5C9B7C.jpeg

26B41BD5-DC47-40EB-8D7B-D79048B42C1B.jpeg

7B09FD3C-2E33-4369-AE99-CE124A8C2359.jpeg

Wait, are you a Liverpool fan? 

I’m generally in favour of VAR, mainly because I spend 37.5 hours a week trying to show and explain to people that using data/facts helps with decision making, but I think the new handball law is nonsense.

I can see what they’ve done, trying to take away the intentional debate. But they made a good point on MOTD last night that the rule now favours defenders as the same application isn’t made to defensive handballs and penalties.

I think a lot of the flack received by VAR comes from its correct application of some of the games nonsensical laws. It seems, certainly in the PL that it’s trying as hard as it can to stick to “clear and obvious” with regards to overturning the refs original decision, which I agree with. It then, however, opens the door to the debate we have with cities penalty where people think it’s a penalty and then blame VAR for not overturning.

All in I think it’s still for the betterment of the game, the handball rule is not.

17 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

Hes a Whitehill Welfare fan, who spends thousands upon thousands following an English club that was successful when he was young.

He'll mock anyone who is on thread for watching English football though, and if you dare to reply he'll follow you around the forum for the next year red dotting all your posts and bringing up Liverpool in every single thread he can reply to you in. 

8mile tries to crawl up his arse all the time aswell.

9 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The handball law is ridiculous. Why is it okay to accidentally prevent a goal with your hand, but not okay to accidentally score a goal with your hand?

^^^This.

If the player gained an advantage from it hitting his hand/arm, it should be a foul. If not, play on.

28 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

I watch loads of stuff at all levels mainly up here 91 and help out a bit at a couple of local clubs but get to the odd Liverpool game.

It annoys the living daylights out of P&B’s Sky Sports customers who have tried miserably using every tactic under the sun to shoot me down so they can get back to posting all sorts of make believe about something they’ve only ever seen on the telly.  

It’s generally very quiet now nowadays though we used to have seperate Lolverpool threads and lots of generally vile stuff but most have moved onto other interests such as pet care, wrestling, doing crosswords etc.